Is america gonna have another GreatDep-

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 10:55 AM
RE: Is america gonna have another GreatDep-
(30-08-2012 09:18 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Our successes are real so no quotes are needed. What is wrong with capitalizing on one's success?

Because far too many tend to act as though the U.S never had great failures.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Seasbury you didn't, sorry, I wasn't referring to you when I referred to the doom and gloom types. I was referring to the people who read chain emails and things on the internet and get paranoid about conspiracies... or who hear from someone who heard from someone and are ocd about it. There are plenty of them out there.
30-08-2012, 06:28 PM
(30-08-2012 10:55 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 09:18 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Our successes are real so no quotes are needed. What is wrong with capitalizing on one's success?

Which failure(s) do we under-discuss, and when would be the appropriate time to talk about them more?
30-08-2012, 06:30 PM
(30-08-2012 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe, maybe not. But watching the Republican Convention convinces me that
America is currently having a Great Derp.

The RNC is having a great convention and the numbers are looking very good for Romney.
30-08-2012, 11:37 PM
(27-08-2012 08:18 PM)silents429 Wrote:  (15 years old) Sorry if i got this in the wrong spot but i wanna hear this from athiest, but my mom (religious) constantly brings up how america is gonna have another economic failure soon and that i have to get used to using weapons? And learn to eat food that i cant even pronounce. I know that the government has major issues (listen to george carlin) And that people keep spending more money then what they have etc, but can someone tell me the facts, how i might be effected and when it might happen, and possible hope? And i guess what it might be like if it happens? Seriously my mom is causing so many issues to my head i need to ease one thing at a time.

Keep in mind you might wanna explain this to me as if im 10 so i can fully understand it, and yeah i wanted an atheist to tell me since 1. your smarter then my mother and most of my family. 2. every article i find mentions christians and religion etc and i dont trust it 3. Its easier to hear peoples opinions instead of reading off sites that probably arent true. <--- i am really sorry if the punctuation or grammar in my writing is bad. FYI to help answer anything i live in wisconsin

Please reply i wanna know this before i head to bed.
I really hope im just being paranoid and this wont be as bad as it sounds.

My advice talk to you mom if you feel she is approachable. Everyone has different family circumstances so if you feel that she will listen and it would be more good then bad simply tell her that she is scaring you and you need a break from hearing about it for a while for your sanity. On your break, Read. Read, watch documentaries, and do what you are doing here ask questions, if you hear an answer verify it.
I'm not really sure what your mom is referring to because it could be many things, you need to find out why she thinks there is going to be a collapse. Honestly, I can't say 100 percent there won't be one because that is irresponsible but I will say 99 percent sure and 99.9 that if it does happen it will be well after your time. The economy is complicated and cannot be answered as a whole in detail because it has so many factors. So heres some facts hopefully to relieve some stress. War wise- no two democracies have ever gone to war. Ever. We now live in a world economy so we all effect each other and to different degrees depending on trade and government type. Look up the hegemon theory. This theory has substantial evidence that although the world of international politics is one of anarchy there is a hegemon a leader of sorts. One who enforces the rules and tries to promote good for all (SUPPOSE to promote good for all). There is also substantial evidence that trade promotes peace, because you would lose more then you would gain by going to war so both parties would want to avoid that at all costs considering most GDP's rely heavily on trade (example United States exports $1.497 trillion (2011 est.)
country comparison to the world: 3 $1.289 trillion (2010 est.) Check out this website, we are not doing that bad compared to the rest of the world and we are still the main power. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications...os/us.html It was last updated this month. There won't be a collapse like the depression because we have safety nets, they aren't perfect but it won't be like it was during the great depression. We have the world bank, more democracies or forms of democracies then ever, weapon treaties, ally treaties, the UN, etc etc. Part of the reason we aren't growing so fast is because we are all connected to each others economies, this is also why China is so willing to lend us money, they depend on us for their economy. As for China becoming a world power that is questionable, my International Relations professor worked at the pentagon for a little while to help them see what the economic status would be in 2040 I believe would look like, because thats when it was estimated China would economically pass us. However now it is 2025. To be a hegemon though you have to be recognized as one, although they woud pass us economically our military forces are much stronger (and they have been planning for the transition for years). Also they have a dictator who would not be respected to lead. Theres sooo much to this. If you have specific questions send me a message and I will try to help. Seriously though, read. read and watch A LOT.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
30-08-2012, 11:46 PM
(30-08-2012 10:55 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Being successful and expressing that success in a healthy way is good, but I agree the U.S. has many flaws. Whats sad is that to question the U.S. you are shunned, you are labeled unpatriotic. I think the most patriotic thing someone can do is say ok this is awful if needs to be fixed what are other countries doing lets study it, and fix it. Lately though its like fix what nothing is broken we are awesome. If you look at the CIA world fact book, we suck when it comes to infant mortality, income inequality, child abuse, obesity, and the healthcare system is a disaster. I am all for Obamacare. Comparing statistics with other industrialized countries is depressing though so if you do it, have wine while you do it lol. We aren't the worst but we arent the best and whats sad is we could be, we are holding ourselves back with pride, religion, corruption, and partisan politics. But we do have to remember constructive criticism I think shows love for our country because we know the potential that we are missing out on.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
30-08-2012, 11:52 PM

― Baruch Spinoza
31-08-2012, 03:29 AM
(30-08-2012 11:46 PM)Alice Wrote:  Whats sad is that to question the U.S. you are shunned, you are labeled unpatriotic.

Please show me some examples of this

(30-08-2012 11:46 PM)Alice Wrote:  Lately though its like fix what nothing is broken we are awesome.

Shocking Is this a serious comment? Are you listening to anything being said in politics today?
31-08-2012, 03:34 AM
(30-08-2012 11:52 PM)Alice Wrote:  And damn our history is atrocious.

Compared to who? You take so much for granted.

(30-08-2012 11:52 PM)Alice Wrote:  Really it has only been rewarding through history for white male property owners.

Are you saying that the only people succeeding in America are white males?
31-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok well i am calmed down and to the person that mentioned my mother being approachable, well thats not really an easy thing, i tend to go by myself on anything that happens, but ill look more into everything. Anyways thanks for the answers, ill probably post on the forums again if some other things start to trouble me.