Is america gonna have another GreatDep-

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2012, 05:40 PM
RE: Is america gonna have another GreatDep-
(31-08-2012 03:34 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 11:52 PM)Alice Wrote:  And damn our history is atrocious.

Compared to who? You take so much for granted.

(30-08-2012 11:52 PM)Alice Wrote:  Really it has only been rewarding through history for white male property owners.

Are you saying that the only people succeeding in America are white males?

Someone needs to show me where the line is that white males get everything handed to them. I fucking missed it while working my ass off for the last 35 years or so.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2012, 06:16 PM
(31-08-2012 03:29 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 11:46 PM)Alice Wrote:  Whats sad is that to question the U.S. you are shunned, you are labeled unpatriotic.

Please show me some examples of this

(30-08-2012 11:46 PM)Alice Wrote:  Lately though its like fix what nothing is broken we are awesome.

Shocking Is this a serious comment? Are you listening to anything being said in politics today?

Question the U.S. and you are shunned labeled unpatriotic- The Iraq war is a great example people who disagreed and wanted to rely on facts or follow the laws of a just war were labeled unpatriotic. France was even "boycotted" by people pouring out their wine, to symbolize the tea party (even though the tea was confiscated but the wine was bought, so really they were supporting france). How about Gary Stein? http://abcnews.go.com/US/marine-sgt-gary...EFPj6RYuGM I'm a Obama supporter but this is ridiculous. Or how about the no fly list? That included government officials. http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-2066624.html Or the watch list- http://www.aclu.org/national-security/us...0000-names Which included a congressman from Alaska. I would say the most would be with criticizing the military (as in spending, or wars), and foreign aid and support that goes to Israel. The only 2 things the parties agree on.

Referring to not having to fix anything it's not broken comment- Global warming is a good example, our healthcare system (which wasn't accepted by the majority of people at first because they believed we had the best in the world).

I agree though that I could have explained myself more efficiently and used more appropriate words for what I was trying to express.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
31-08-2012, 06:33 PM
(31-08-2012 05:40 PM)tnt4philly Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 03:34 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Compared to who? You take so much for granted.

Someone needs to show me where the line is that white males get everything handed to them. I fucking missed it while working my ass off for the last 35 years or so.
I take nothing for granted please do not assume that just because I recognize we have mistreated minorities throughout our history. Compared to who? I am not comparing because human and civil rights shouldn't be measured in well at least we treat the gays better then uganda mindset. To name some minorities- Native Americans, Asians (who had their citizenship revoked), Japanese Americans, Women, Immigrants, the LGBT community, Muslims, and of course African Americans. I said throughout our history the most successful have been white males, that still holds true, that does not mean EVERY white male. When have white men been discriminated against? I am not saying your life as a individual was easy but looking at our history we treat minorities poorly, since the beginning. I never said anyone got handed anything it would be more appropriate to say that white men have more opportunities. More women graduate from law school but hardly any are awarded partnership. School principals are male even though most teachers are women, our government is dominated prominently by white men, and if you are a minority you are hardly represented.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
31-08-2012, 06:43 PM
(31-08-2012 05:40 PM)tnt4philly Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 03:34 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Compared to who? You take so much for granted.

That's what it's been, the you working your ass off and being able to do so for 35 years and the school institution prior to that.

The over defensive position in any instance is to act as if someone is saying it's all rainbows and unicorns on the one side.. Not it's shit and garbage on one side, and not being able to even get the shit and garbage to begin with on the other side.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-08-2012, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2012 10:38 PM by Diablo666.)
The disparity of wealth has caused all these problems, and it will cause a great depression eventually. As the problem gets worse and worse, its not a question of whether it WILL happen, but WHEN it will happen. My money is sooner rather than later. If nothing else there will be a huge oil crisis in ~30 years, and its not going to be pretty. The US is doing almost nothing to prepare for it, because the corps don't want them to. The status quo is ideal for the corps and the aristocrats that own this shit hole country.
01-09-2012, 07:07 AM
(31-08-2012 06:43 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 05:40 PM)tnt4philly Wrote:  Someone needs to show me where the line is that white males get everything handed to them. I fucking missed it while working my ass off for the last 35 years or so.

That's what it's been, the you working your ass off and being able to do so for 35 years and the school institution prior to that.

The over defensive position in any instance is to act as if someone is saying it's all rainbows and unicorns on the one side.. Not it's shit and garbage on one side, and not being able to even get the shit and garbage to begin with on the other side.

What the fuck ever...I know that in the past people have been discriminated agasint and that sucks. The fact is, that in my lifetime every single American, (aside from those that are truely handicapped and physicaly or mntaly can not do things) has had the same opportunities as I have had, and many of them have had more opportunity just because they were not a white male. When people have the choice of doing nothing and getting as much as some of the people doing something, sooner or later you will have too many people doing nothing.
01-09-2012, 07:29 AM
(31-08-2012 10:31 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  The disparity of wealth has caused all these problems, and it will cause a great depression eventually. As the problem gets worse and worse, its not a question of whether it WILL happen, but WHEN it will happen. My money is sooner rather than later. If nothing else there will be a huge oil crisis in ~30 years, and its not going to be pretty. The US is doing almost nothing to prepare for it, because the corps don't want them to. The status quo is ideal for the corps and the aristocrats that own this shit hole country.

And what has caused the disparity of wealth?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 09:25 AM
(01-09-2012 07:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 10:31 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  The disparity of wealth has caused all these problems, and it will cause a great depression eventually. As the problem gets worse and worse, its not a question of whether it WILL happen, but WHEN it will happen. My money is sooner rather than later. If nothing else there will be a huge oil crisis in ~30 years, and its not going to be pretty. The US is doing almost nothing to prepare for it, because the corps don't want them to. The status quo is ideal for the corps and the aristocrats that own this shit hole country.

And what has caused the disparity of wealth?

Mainly capitalism. Its simply an inevitable outcome of the system. Regulations can at best slow it down, but it can't stop it. However, the owners have gotten so powerful that they know own the whole govt essentially. The few people they don't own can't act because their just outvoted. The checks and balances system that used to protect the people is now being used to control the govt. This primarily began in the 80's, or at least the effects of it became apparent at that time. Once they took control, we entered into "trickle down economics" era and its been a shit storm of deregulation and tax breaks.

Unregulated capitalism is akin to anarchy. Hell if anything at this point, the system isn't just unregulated, its propped up in such a way that it HELPS them to scam the system even more than if it were unregulated.

The 1% own this country.
[+] 4 users Like Diablo666's post
01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
(01-09-2012 09:25 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 07:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  And what has caused the disparity of wealth?

Mainly capitalism. Its simply an inevitable outcome of the system. Regulations can at best slow it down, but it can't stop it. However, the owners have gotten so powerful that they know own the whole govt essentially. The few people they don't own can't act because their just outvoted. The checks and balances system that used to protect the people is now being used to control the govt. This primarily began in the 80's, or at least the effects of it became apparent at that time. Once they took control, we entered into "trickle down economics" era and its been a shit storm of deregulation and tax breaks.

Unregulated capitalism is akin to anarchy. Hell if anything at this point, the system isn't just unregulated, its propped up in such a way that it HELPS them to scam the system even more than if it were unregulated.

The 1% own this country.

OK, we pretty much agree on that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 12:53 PM
(01-09-2012 07:07 AM)tnt4philly Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 06:43 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That's what it's been, the you working your ass off and being able to do so for 35 years and the school institution prior to that.

What the fuck ever...I know that in the past people have been discriminated agasint and that sucks. The fact is, that in my lifetime every single American, (aside from those that are truely handicapped and physicaly or mntaly can not do things) has had the same opportunities as I have had, and many of them have had more opportunity just because they were not a white male. When people have the choice of doing nothing and getting as much as some of the people doing something, sooner or later you will have too many people doing nothing.
The only way you could honestly say that everyone else has the same opportunities as a white man is if the white man is in poverty.  The rate of men and women in poverty are about equal if neither have a high school diploma, 11.3% are men and 13.4% for women, but that is where the equality ends. If you have a high school diploma the rate is 9.4% men, 13.4% women, some college men 9.4% Women 13.2%, college degree 2.9% men and 9.5% women.  Single fathers only make up 9.5% of families in poverty while single mothers make up 51.4% of the families in poverty, women are 29% more likely then men to be in poverty. It’s much worse when divided by ethnicity, Whites only make up 13% while blacks are 27.4% and Hispanics are 26.6% in fact if you are a non-Hispanic white its only 9%.  (1)  In fact inequality even affects our health, African American women are more likely to have premature babies even if they are successful business women -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE7v5cHlHDQ this is an excellent documentary, one of the episodes is specifically on African American women experiencing discrimination that affects generations through pregnancies. So perhaps it’s education, if minorities obtained education excluding poverty statistics they should have the same opportunities.  They don’t.  In 2009 white women held 60.2% of masters degrees (2). CEO ratios are 10 to 1 in favor of men, even though the rate of MBA and Law Degrees are 1:1.  Even worse men 6 to 1 get top salaries over women (3).  Then the government only 16% of congress are women, and of course no women president ever.  Are we getting better yes I tend to think so we now have 3 out of 9 supreme court justices that are women which is the highest it has ever been Sandra O’Connor was the first and for the longest time the only, and if you listen to the healthcare hearing (available on C-SPAN) you can hear they are brilliant. I would like to remind you from earlier in the post the law degree statistics.  So please recognize that although as individuals perhaps some white men have it harder then minorities when having equal education, income standards that they were born into, and career path, but no there is not equal opportunity in this country especially in positions of power.  It is still dominated by white males.  I recognize that being a white female, not born into poverty, being married, and currently obtaining a college degree while working in a healthcare field (not what I am going to school for) I have many more opportunities then those of Hispanic or African American ethnicity and much more then any American Immigrants. I look around at even the hospital I work at the Doctors mostly White men, the nurses mostly White women, the P.A.'s mostly White Women, all of the cleaning people almost All are ethnic minorities. Do I have it the best no, especially in the field I am going into I will get discrimination especially if I were to want to have more children (employers don't like pregnancy). However with the bad I recognize the good, and the only way to make it better is to see it in the first place.

Sources.
(1) http://www.npr.org/2012/07/10/156387172/...he-numbers
(2) http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72
(3) http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/...rld/55727/
(4) http://www.southernct.edu/womenscenter/t...overnment/

― Baruch Spinoza
[+] 1 user Likes Alice's post