Is anonymous users scary to some?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Is anonymous users scary to some?
I decided to ask a question about what people think about anonymous users this isn't relating to religion or any particular site but the question why i'm anonymous has been recently thrown at me and i'm sure other people. (No it didn't happen here) But i'm sure it could and maybe already has to some. I wonder why people always need to know somebody's face i find that thought kinda scary and generally i wouldn't share whom i am with anyone i didn't trust or get to know because of my past.
I really, don't want to get into that, however being asked this question i got mad Without the person meaning to triggered a bit of anger inside me. Because why is it people fear anonymous users? As long as they are respectful people what should somebody's identity matter to anyone else? i personally strongly say it doesn't unless you're planning to actually meet somebody. And i wouldn't ever suggest doing that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: Is anonymous users scary to some?
Maybe its like a part of a "real life" response that goes into ones internet life? Like if some person you didn't know called you, started telling you/asking you things, and wouldn't give you their name, you'd probably be tripped. Yet it's the internet. One person can say they're one thing and not be it so I'm not sure why usernames and icons really matter that much. Still, that's my only guess.

[Image: notagain.gif]
06-01-2015, 04:06 PM
(06-01-2015 04:03 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Maybe its like a part of a "real life" response that goes into ones internet life? Like if some person you didn't know called you, started telling you/asking you things, and wouldn't give you their name, you'd probably be tripped. Yet it's the internet. One person can say they're one thing and not be it so I'm not sure why usernames and icons really matter that much. Still, that's my only guess.

Makes sense but i think a persons comfortable zones should be respected also, people can't be trusted on both ends so being anon really isn't much of a change.
06-01-2015, 04:13 PM
(06-01-2015 04:03 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  One person can say they're one thing and not be it

[Image: 7ad.jpg]

But on a serious note, I also don't see the problem with being anonymous. I am curious to get to know some people in particular but that's something that comes from interaction and genuine interest, and not because I have a need to know each and everybody.

Ok, send me your pics and IDs.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 4 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
06-01-2015, 04:16 PM
(06-01-2015 04:13 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 04:03 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  One person can say they're one thing and not be it

[Image: 7ad.jpg]

But on a serious note, I also don't see the problem with being anonymous. I am curious to get to know some people in particular but that's something that comes from interaction and genuine interest, and not because I have a need to know each and everybody.

Ok, send me your pics and IDs.
Yeah, i get that to and loved the photo
however, i think it's a matter of trust first you don't just jump out and say this is me!!!! to the world.
[+] 1 user Likes Autumnflowers's post
06-01-2015, 05:33 PM
I prefer it and try my best to ignore the subtle hints (and the not-so-subtle ones) that show up, at least for a while. Not knowing the other person's race, sex, age, etc means that all I have to go on is what they are actually saying. That helps filter some of the biases that I'm sure I have whether I'm conscious of them or not.

Once I've figured out whether I agree with the person or not, and whether I respect their opinion or not (and those are not always the same), the other factors are easier to ignore if I do happen to learn them.

The downside is the assholes who hide behind the anonymity in order to just be more assholish. The tough part is learning to just ignore them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-01-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't think it filters any biases for me. I just make my own lol. My mind has a way of deciding based on posting style your age, race, and sex. After a while I will start to picture you in my head if you give any sort of hint as to what you look like or if your avatar is of a person. It's still hard for me not to picture Mathilda as that angry looking lady in her avatar. It's still hard for me to remember that EK is a man. I don't know why. My mind made him a woman when I joined the forums. It's whatever if you want to share who you are then go for it. If not then don't. If someone doesn't like your choice they can get over it. If they harass you about it then report them.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
06-01-2015, 10:23 PM
I'm not, but then Imma guy... A big fat ol' crazy dude, so there it is. Assuming they're authentic, the issue is accountability, just like "real life."

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2015, 10:26 PM
... It's a good thing nobody else can see my avatar. I have it set to private.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-01-2015, 10:45 PM
People generally don't assume that a person who is entirely anonymous is "without distinguishing features." We're really bad at that as a species. Instead we assume that a person is "Default."

[I am specifically avoiding talking some of the shit that came up during GamerGate as a good, recent example.]

LostandInsecure's comment is a good example of that. Her corespondant is an amalgam of assumed traits bolted onto whomever her default person is.

By my (extremely limited) understanding; the reason this can be "scary" isn't because that default person is threatening but because they're refusing to engage with the group as an identity. Which is like rejecting the group.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.