Is anybody else European?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Is anybody else European?
(08-07-2016 08:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 07:57 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Pffft. American beer is basically coloured water.... Big Grin
Prove me wrong. Bring some to the party.

Why is American beer like having sex in a canoe?

It's fucking close to water. Big Grin

I drank a beer called Steamwhistle in Canada, I really liked it.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2016, 10:49 AM
(08-07-2016 10:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 09:02 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  I'll keep an open mind and willingness to try any american beer I may be presented to. However I do cherish Skepticism and need evidence before believing. Wink

They were so common, and left such a lasting mark, they even got their own nickname; the 'Pennsylvania Dutch'. Why that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch

Pennsylvania Dutch is most likely a corruption of the endonym Deitsch, which is a local variant of the modern German endonym Deutsch, meaning German. The word "Dutch" and "Deutsch" share the same origin and similar pronunciation. The pronunciation though for "Dutch" is with the "u" like in "but" and the pronunciation for "Deutsch" is with "oy" like in "boy". So in the latter it sounds like "Doych [ˈdɔʏtʃ]".

During the Middle Ages the use of "Dutch" in English referred to West Germanic speakers of continental Europe in general. From c. 1600 onward it was mainly restricted to the inhabitants of the Low Countries.

My family is very Germanic. My grandmother's (father's side) maiden name was Schmidt. My stepfather's family name is Dauer, which has a traceable lineage and noble family crest from the Rhineland. My own surname is itself a anglicized form of Dubek, itself of Dutch origin.

I may have already told it, but i grew up in the small part of germany where we speak pennsylvanian dutch, because thats where most of the german settlers were from. I can perfectly understand americans speaking this language, in fact better than any bavarian or frisian dialect.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
08-07-2016, 10:55 AM
(08-07-2016 10:49 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 10:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  They were so common, and left such a lasting mark, they even got their own nickname; the 'Pennsylvania Dutch'. Why that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch

Pennsylvania Dutch is most likely a corruption of the endonym Deitsch, which is a local variant of the modern German endonym Deutsch, meaning German. The word "Dutch" and "Deutsch" share the same origin and similar pronunciation. The pronunciation though for "Dutch" is with the "u" like in "but" and the pronunciation for "Deutsch" is with "oy" like in "boy". So in the latter it sounds like "Doych [ˈdɔʏtʃ]".

During the Middle Ages the use of "Dutch" in English referred to West Germanic speakers of continental Europe in general. From c. 1600 onward it was mainly restricted to the inhabitants of the Low Countries.

My family is very Germanic. My grandmother's (father's side) maiden name was Schmidt. My stepfather's family name is Dauer, which has a traceable lineage and noble family crest from the Rhineland. My own surname is itself a anglicized form of Dubek, itself of Dutch origin.

In this picture it is area "2"
[Image: Rheinfrankisch.png]

I may have already told it, but i grew up in the small part of germany where we speak pennsylvanian dutch, because thats where most of the german settlers were from. I can perfectly understand americans speaking this language, in fact better than any bavarian or frisian dialect.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
08-07-2016, 11:41 AM
(08-07-2016 07:55 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 07:25 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Sample is to small to form conclusions. But, yes people here can be nice when they aren't bigoted, chest beating nationalists with authoritarian tendencies.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

Global problem nowadays.
It may be the case, though I live in Poland not some other country.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm enjoying getting to know more about the Pennsylvania Dutch.
I realize that basically all white Americans have European ancestry, and probably make as good beer as the Europeans who stayed back home.
It's a standing joke over here that american beer is "fucking close to water". I'm sure our local American friends enjoy getting reminded at a regular basis. Laugh out load

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
08-07-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm a fakn idiot. I committed the ultimate sin and I must confess now to all of you and beg for leniency and forgiveness.

As is often the case , road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Today I found myself in a supermarket , and in a spirit of this thread I decided to buy a few cans of different European beers. Overwhelmed by the variety of different brands I never heard of I decided to go with the ones I was familiar with this time.

So I got a dark Kozel, Stella Artois , Paulaner and Erdinger.

I get home, and I am putting the beers in the fridge I am holding Erdinger can in my hand ...and then Gasp ....omg.....omg....I realize what I have done....my stomach drops... my hands start to shake.....my heart is racing as I spot the fakn sign on the can.....ALKOHOLFREI.

I don't speak German, but I know what "frei" means, it means "free" ...FREEEEEEEE

I bought a non alcoholic beer. WeepingWeeping

Please forgive me.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
08-07-2016, 07:01 PM
(08-07-2016 05:14 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I'm a fakn idiot. I committed the ultimate sin and I must confess now to all of you and beg for leniency and forgiveness.

As is often the case , road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Today I found myself in a supermarket , and in a spirit of this thread I decided to buy a few cans of different European beers. Overwhelmed by the variety of different brands I never heard of I decided to go with the ones I was familiar with this time.

So I got a dark Kozel, Stella Artois , Paulaner and Erdinger.

I get home, and I am putting the beers in the fridge I am holding Erdinger can in my hand ...and then Gasp ....omg.....omg....I realize what I have done....my stomach drops... my hands start to shake.....my heart is racing as I spot the fakn sign on the can.....ALKOHOLFREI.

I don't speak German, but I know what "frei" means, it means "free" ...FREEEEEEEE

I bought a non alcoholic beer. WeepingWeeping

Please forgive me.

I'll pray for you

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
08-07-2016, 07:45 PM
How did the topic for Europeans turned into alcohol? Facepalm

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
08-07-2016, 08:08 PM
(08-07-2016 07:45 PM)izel Wrote:  How did the topic for Europeans turned into alcohol? Facepalm

That's a rhetorical question, right?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Those of you who think you don't like US-made beer haven't sampled the right kinds. For starters, there's Sam Adams. There is a ridiculous number of different flavors. Check 'em out.

If you like it really hoppy you can go with any number of IPAs. I like Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing. They have a lot of good ales. I also like their Double Bastard Ale, but at 11% alcohol, I have to go easy. It is also seasonal; I don't think it is available until November, or so. I haven't had one on a few months because of that. It isn't an ale for hot weather, anyway.