Is anybody else European?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2016, 08:37 PM
RE: Is anybody else European?
(08-07-2016 08:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Those of you who think you don't like US-made beer haven't sampled the right kinds. For starters, there's Sam Adams. There is a ridiculous number of different flavors. Check 'em out.

If you like it really hoppy you can go with any number of IPAs. I like Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing. They have a lot of good ales. I also like their Double Bastard Ale, but at 11% alcohol, I have to go easy. It is also seasonal; I don't think it is available until November, or so. I haven't had one on a few months because of that. It isn't an ale for hot weather, anyway.

It's an old stereotype from before the explosion of craft breweries in the U.S.
American beers were typically very light-weight pilsners and lagers, like Bud, Miller, Schlitz, Pabst, ...
There were a few interesting ones like Ballantine Ale, but for the most part American beers were weak and thin.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-07-2016, 02:06 AM
(08-07-2016 05:14 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I'm a fakn idiot. I committed the ultimate sin and I must confess now to all of you and beg for leniency and forgiveness.

As is often the case , road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Today I found myself in a supermarket , and in a spirit of this thread I decided to buy a few cans of different European beers. Overwhelmed by the variety of different brands I never heard of I decided to go with the ones I was familiar with this time.

So I got a dark Kozel, Stella Artois , Paulaner and Erdinger.

I get home, and I am putting the beers in the fridge I am holding Erdinger can in my hand ...and then Gasp ....omg.....omg....I realize what I have done....my stomach drops... my hands start to shake.....my heart is racing as I spot the fakn sign on the can.....ALKOHOLFREI.

I don't speak German, but I know what "frei" means, it means "free" ...FREEEEEEEE

I bought a non alcoholic beer. WeepingWeeping

Please forgive me.

Facepalm
We are generally very forgiving people on this forum, but this one is pushing it! I think, as a punishment, you shall be ordered to actually drink the stuff! Laugh out load

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
09-07-2016, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2016 02:22 AM by LadyDay.)
(08-07-2016 08:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Those of you who think you don't like US-made beer haven't sampled the right kinds. For starters, there's Sam Adams. There is a ridiculous number of different flavors. Check 'em out.

If you like it really hoppy you can go with any number of IPAs. I like Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing. They have a lot of good ales. I also like their Double Bastard Ale, but at 11% alcohol, I have to go easy. It is also seasonal; I don't think it is available until November, or so. I haven't had one on a few months because of that. It isn't an ale for hot weather, anyway.

Don't worry, it's all in jest. Nobody actually think that american beers aren't good. We just like to tease americans over here. It's a long standing tradition. But it's all very lovingly meant.
As Chas points out, it's an old stereotype that just keeps lives on as a joke.

I haven't actually tasted many american beers. I think I'll have a look for some next time I'm shopping. Hopefully I won't commit the deadly sin you did!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
09-07-2016, 02:36 AM
(09-07-2016 02:13 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  We just like to tease americans over here. It's a long standing tradition.

[Image: 16u9g5.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-07-2016, 05:41 PM
(09-07-2016 02:13 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  

Don't worry, it's all in jest. Nobody actually think that american beers aren't good. We just like to tease americans over here. It's a long standing tradition. But it's all very lovingly meant.

I haven't actually tasted many american beers. I think I'll have a look for some next time I'm shopping. Hopefully I won't commit the deadly sin you did!

Huh Which deadly sin?
09-07-2016, 05:43 PM
(09-07-2016 02:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 02:13 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  We just like to tease americans over here. It's a long standing tradition.

Angry Hey, my forbears infiltrated the US from Canada in the 1880s. Drinking Beverage
10-07-2016, 12:57 AM
(09-07-2016 05:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 02:13 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Don't worry, it's all in jest. Nobody actually think that american beers aren't good. We just like to tease americans over here. It's a long standing tradition. But it's all very lovingly meant.

Huh Which deadly sin?

Buying alcohol free beer Big Grin

10-07-2016, 01:46 AM
Nope, Texan here.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
10-07-2016, 01:52 AM
(10-07-2016 01:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Nope, Texan here.

It's okay. We like you anyway. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
10-07-2016, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 01:59 AM by LadyDay.)
(09-07-2016 02:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Haha. Exactly. Big Grin