Is anyone currently writing something?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2012, 06:16 AM
I am currently working on writing a book. I am curious when it is done how to go about getting published without someone taking my idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2012, 04:25 PM
RE: Is anyone currently writing something?
I'm compiling a list of subjects for my next book. Just gonna be pure angry rants about everything I hate. Gonna call it something like Justified Hate or No Hope For Humanity (working title).

This is how I got my start with ACB: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-101...d-to-know/

Your main goal shouldn't be to get your book on the publishing site or into bookstores, but to get it on Amazon. My Lulu sales are only like 29 units and my Amazon, which became available about 2 months later, is at 150 units sold. eBooks are also a great expansion, since most people don't mind shelling out 2 or 3 bucks for pretty much anything. As far as someone taking your idea, it immediately becomes copyright when you use any publishing site.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
23-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm writing a couple different things at once, actually. My mind just overflows with ideas, so I work on one project for a bit until it wears me out, then I go to another and work on it until it wears me out, then I go back to the first with a fresh mind.

Anyway, if you're worried about someone taking your ideas, just get them copyrighted.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2012, 09:55 PM
1. There is a huge variety of self publishing websites that allow you to send an electronic pdf of your writing, specify how many copies of the book you'd like printed, how it's bound, on what type of paper, etc. They then receive a shipment of the completed books. I have seen a lot of people do this, who then try to sell the books themselves (people send them money, they ship it off themselves). Anyone is capable of having their own book.

2. If you're asking about legitimate publishing (a company receives it, reviews it, makes changes to it, prints it, puts it in stores, receives a percentage of sales, etc) I have no knowledge or experience in this.
23-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm writing something, that sadly, if I told you what it was, you'd have to perform harakiri.

Sorry, I like you too much to do that to you.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
24-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Working periodically on a couple of different pojects. My goal isn't to make money but to produce a story where the reader gets a good glimpse at the main character and feels for him.

My other projects are private and of a secret, embarrassing nature.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-12-2012, 06:47 AM
I am currently writing this post. Shy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-12-2012, 03:36 AM
I'm a former game designer. I write down ideas on a couple of projects. One of these projects could be a book too. I think it walks a fine line between sci-fi and fantasy. When circumstances are right, there is no technical difference between technology and magic.

Anyway I keep seeing that in a "magic"-heavy world, hardly anybody ever really goes into the true scientific implications. If a wizard casts a lightning bolt, how does he hit the target? The air isolates. He'd need to do something about it, decrease pressure in a line or smoke a pipe and blow a smoke in that direction, which would ionize the air more easily.
Furthermore, we can't have lightning-flinging wizards and then iron-encased warriors brandishing steel swords. These things are damn conductive! They'd get fried at the first opportunity! Except in a special Faraday cage armor. That's why it's called fantasy.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
25-12-2012, 05:26 AM
(24-12-2012 06:47 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I am currently writing this post. Shy
Bastard read my mind... joke thief.

[Image: opforum1.png]
25-12-2012, 08:58 AM
(25-12-2012 05:26 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 06:47 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I am currently writing this post. Shy
Bastard read my mind... joke thief.

I didn't read your mind. I AM your mind, Bitch!
Think on that!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My