Is anyone in the Facebook "closet" ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Is anyone in the Facebook "closet" ?
While I would not be afraid to discuss my [lack of] belief to co-workers, friends, maybe my sister, etc. I have lots of extended family (my wife's family) on Facebook who are devout Christians. They are very nice people and when we see them sometimes they would mention God or whatever, I just don't say anything and go along with it. But on facebook, normally my outlet in which I can express myself to the world, I feel a lack of freedom. I would love to join some of the FB groups on here, or become a "fan" of Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris etc, or share Bill o'Reilly videos, or share pics that I find amusing or simply post something in my FB status that is on my mind. But alas I am in the closet, afraid of what could happen to relationships between my God-loving family-in-law (wonderful people). This whole situation has made me realize that sometimes we need to censor ourselves online, for many reasons (including not to get yourself in trouble at work or something.)
Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2011, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2011 07:12 AM by catdance62.)
RE: Is anyone in the Facebook "closet" ?
I am a member of FB Atheist sites. However, where it specifies religion on my profile, I put "nunya"....as in...."nunya bizness", because it really isn't anyone's business but mine. I do, however, share atheist discussions, quotes, cartoons etc. on my page whenever I want. If someone asks me a direct question, I will answer them directly.
That said, I own my own business, and don't really have any family (except my aging parents who live about 1000 miles from me), or children. Plus, I don't actually have any dealings on a personal level with people who are Christians or talk about religion. Guess for me it's a moot point.
For you, it's just whatever you are comfortable with. There is no reason to confront and alienate people you love on purpose. HOwever, at some point you may become uncomfortable with being "in the closet", and when people ask you a direct question, or invite you to church (etc.), you may choose to be truthful with them. Even if it upsets them momentarily, you will probably feel relieved.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2011, 07:23 AM
(13-01-2011 06:57 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I would love to join some of the FB groups on here, or become a "fan" of Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris etc, or share Bill o'Reilly videos, or share pics that I find amusing or simply post something in my FB status that is on my mind. But alas I am in the closet, afraid of what could happen to relationships between my God-loving family-in-law (wonderful people). This whole situation has made me realize that sometimes we need to censor ourselves online, for many reasons (including not to get yourself in trouble at work or something.)

I was in a similar boat - a shockingly high number of FB Friends, many whom I went to high school with, are now working in the ministry (in one capacity or another). I've had to put some of the egregiously proselytizing "friends" on ignore so as not to read the daily dose of scripture quotes.

On the other hand, I don't want to be "in your face" with anti-religious updates, so I created an somewhat ubiquitous FB page "Support 20 March as National Nonobservance Day" to highlight non-theist articles and websites - I then will "Share" from that site on my own page.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/S...4350179887

I also put Pastafarian as my religious view...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm kind of with you. The reason I say kind of is because FB was never really my place to express myself, I just never viewed it that way. This place and a few other similar places are places where I can express myself. With that said I don't hide that I'm a non-believer. All my facebook friends could easily figure that out if they cared to. I also do not share some rather offensive atheist things that I find amusing, out of respect. However I will share well thought out and respectful atheist things like the Rick Gervaise article, or the Minchin guys poem from yesterday. These things to me express my belief hopefully with being offensive.
13-01-2011, 08:45 AM

It's the complete opposite with me! I'm completely out on facebook. I've joined a lot of atheist groups, even changed my religious views! I guess it's easier for me since I don't have any family members on facebook. I haven't gathered up the courage to talk about it in real life yet though Confused
13-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm out on Facebook. I'm a member of many atheist pages, and my religious beliefs are set as "Atheist - Cult of Cthulhu".

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-01-2011, 10:18 AM
trust me sometimes its better not to talk to theists online... T_T

"‎1.no,but are you sure yours are?

2.I think atheists need more faith because they think it just happened without any need of a god.Yes you have evidence for evolution,but i have evidence for my god.im gonna add something to this."What makes your religion right?"
Well if ID is correct,it doesnt mean my god did it.
But historians do agree that a man named jesus lived.But we just dont know if he was divine or not.
and our religion has alot of historical proof to back it up.Other religions?
Nope

3.Are you asking howl we know he created the universe?
We dont.we have faith.But that does not mean that there is no evidence.

4. I think it would be best for evolution and creationism to be taught in school.the learners can decide which is right.
"Evolution is supported by factual evidence"
Evolutionist claim that they have found observable evidence of evolution.
Evolutionist actually cite in a document their lack of proof.
Darwin: i wonder why these creatures dont exist anymore
Christian: Maybe they got wiped out in the flood."

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
13-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Everyone already pretty much knows I am an atheist. I am a fan of the thinking atheist and one of my favorite books is the evolution of God. I did lose friends but o well. I still keep my privacy settings to where only friends can see my info because I don't want employers to know I am an atheist since they may not hire me over it. All a non friend can do is see my picture, name, and the add friend button.
13-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I am halfway out. I have "liked" several pages of noted atheists and skeptics, I respond to some of their posts and so on. I have no listing under religion. On occasion I will share a story or post a video, but usually only regarding things in the scientific or skeptic realm, rarely anything concerning religion specifically.

I have lots of friends and family who are religious and I do my best to keep some things to myself. However, I am toying with the idea of just coming out - but some of my close family (my mother and grandmother, for example) do not know that I'm an atheist. At times I do feel as if I can't express myself freely there.

The only "confrontation" I've had, with the exception of a few things with my wife (who is Christian) is from the wife of one of my dad's best friends. I've known this woman pretty much my whole life, she might as well be an aunt. Her husband has become a pastor in the past decade. My wife (for some reason), informed them that I'm an atheist. One day I posted a link to a Carl Sagan video, one of the ones in which he states that the universe is indifferent to our existence. Shortly thereafter this family friend posted a couple of sentences that just sounded crazy - something about "yes but think that THERE IS A PURPOSE" or something to that effect. It read like the ravings of a lunatic, which is bizarre because this woman is a kind soft-spoken person. Ah, religion. Anyway, I ignored it. I ignore a lot of things on facebook.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
13-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I have a lot of christian friends, I don't really care, I've always been a pariah ^ ^;;
doesn't bother me if they choose not to be around me because of my idealogical beliefs.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"