Is anyone in the Facebook "closet" ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2011, 10:03 PM
RE: Is anyone in the Facebook "closet" ?
lol, they all know I am out. It's all good. I get some good debates. As for now I put down Buddhism for Religion, but I don't view it as an religion. :/

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I keep wondering if I change my religion to "Rational Atheist" how many people would actually notice...

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
17-01-2011, 06:02 PM

well, i think thats true.. ,ostly are in ahide and they wont reveal themselves who they really are..
Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I call myself an autotheist on facebook, but that is more of a joke lol. I am an open atheist on facebook, even though I have church friends and my Spanish family (who is catholic) on there. Before I had a few debates, but eventually they got quiet, I think the information I provided intimidated them.
17-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I am "out" on my FB page, but I also use a pseudonym. So I guess in a way I am hiding. I choose my "friends" wisely. The main reason for me using a pseudonym in the first place is so that my coworkers don't know I have a FB page. They are all Evangelical Fundie types. They aren't the type I would even choose as FB friends anyway, but I'd simply rather they not find me at all. I really don't want anyone knowing my business unless I choose that they do.

OP, you could make yourself another account if you wanted to. Then you could pick and choose who your "friends" are and "like" or post anything you want.

Everyone here would be welcome on my "friends" list, though. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
17-01-2011, 09:52 PM
(17-01-2011 09:33 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I am "out" on my FB page, but I also use a pseudonym. So I guess in a way I am hiding. I choose my "friends" wisely. The main reason for me using a pseudonym in the first place is so that my coworkers don't know I have a FB page. They are all Evangelical Fundie types. They aren't the type I would even choose as FB friends anyway, but I'd simply rather they not find me at all. I really don't want anyone knowing my business unless I choose that they do.

Evangelicals. Those people are fun. Heck I still have my old Pastor as a friend on Facebook.

But these posts are so damn tempting to comment:
Quote:I believe in Jesus Christ. One Facebooker has challenged all believers to put this on their wall. The Bible says, if you deny Me in front of your peers, I will deny you in front of my Father. (Matthew 10:33) This is a simple test. If you love God and you are not afraid to show it, re-post this.........

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
17-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I ignore those posts, on facebook I live and let live. If they bother me though, I am all in.
17-01-2011, 10:58 PM

(17-01-2011 09:33 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I am "out" on my FB page, but I also use a pseudonym. So I guess in a way I am hiding. I choose my "friends" wisely. The main reason for me using a pseudonym in the first place is so that my coworkers don't know I have a FB page. They are all Evangelical Fundie types. They aren't the type I would even choose as FB friends anyway, but I'd simply rather they not find me at all. I really don't want anyone knowing my business unless I choose that they do.

OP, you could make yourself another account if you wanted to. Then you could pick and choose who your "friends" are and "like" or post anything you want.

Everyone here would be welcome on my "friends" list, though. Wink

I have thought about creating a pseudonym where I could do just that, but I would still keep my regular name and think people would find it weird that I have 2 facebook names. I just wouldn't want to lose track of which friend is under which name and can so-and-so family member see etc.
Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Everybody on my facebook page knows I am an atheist. I have lost a few friends but I have gained a few very good ones as well. I got to the point that I stopped caring what others might think. Not in the sense that I don't care about their feelings but that I do not care if they choose to delete me or ignore me. I am who I am and I am very happy. If they choose to stop being my friend then that is their loss.

Another question, if you have 'come out' on facebook, is what you tolerate from your religious friends. I have a few that seem to target every atheist comment I made. I respect others opinions but there is a line and I feel that some cross that when they know you do not agree with their beliefs. What do you all do in that situation?
18-01-2011, 05:12 AM
(18-01-2011 04:46 AM)silent_drgn Wrote:  Everybody on my facebook page knows I am an atheist.

Slap an "A" on your profile pic Tongue

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=84...=696163297

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]