Is atheism a radical position?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2012, 12:52 PM
RE: Is atheism a radical position?
I don't think it can be considered extreme to not believe in something that can not be seen let alone proven. If I tell a Christian; there is a ghost next to me and they replied by saying; no there isn't. I wouldn't say they are being extreme for saying that, What they are saying is logical. After all they can't see it. Same with us; we don't believe in gods because its just not logical. And the worst thing we do might be to try and have an intelligent conversation with a Theist, but that never works.

I opened a beer with a Bible once. Oops.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Well, no. Here it is legitimate to be an atheist, we even had one big atheist party in the Knesset a few years ago (and the party leader's son, Yair Lapid, is going for politics next elections and he's our new hope for better life for seculars and atheists in Israel). Avigdor Liebrman, mostly unwelcomed persona in the world, is leadering the 3rd biggest party in Israel- and he is an atheist, whose laws often benefit with the atheist community in Israel.

Since the state-religion relationship and secular-religious relationship in Israel are very hardcore issues here niether of the positios is considered "radical"- as long as you support Israel's 2 definitions- Jewish and democratic, your position is welcomed. But- in the moment you declare you're against democracy or you're against Israel as Jewish state- then your position considered radical and very outrages.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Perception is relative to where one is in relation to the thing being viewed. Hmm… I'll bet someone's said that before. Dodgy

Obviously, here on the forum, we've noticed several different "kinds" and even "degrees" of Atheism. These "rankings" have much to do with one's personal history and experience regarding the effect of the polar opposite; Theism. A person tends to pin a "different" label on the thing which that person is not. Everyone is "different".

Even though someone else might see a person as extreme, that person might not see himself as such. I don't consider myself as extreme or radical, but I think some might. Maybe even some on this forum.

Some of us even work out a personal labeling -self described attributes- of how we accept our self to be represented with words.
Though not tremendously important to me per se, I am fond of the following words to represent my self and my outlook:

An Ignostic - takes the position that every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God and other theological concepts.
An Apatheist - is not interested in accepting or denying any claims that Gods exist or do not exist. In other words, the question of the existence of Gods has neither meaning nor relevance to life.

For the above, I could be viewed as radical… even by some fellow Atheists. And, some fellow Atheists might see my view as not radical enough.

As an Ignostic Apatheist, I can only humbly say; oh well, fuck them. Angel

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
[quote='Thomas' pid='77034' dateline='1328456279']
I've often asked myself, especially as I am usually outnumbered, is my hard-line atheist position "radical"? It certainly is attacked by all major medial groups as if it is. Any comments, experiences to share?
[/quote

"Atheist" shouldnt be a word anyway. There is no god to not believe in.
06-02-2012, 07:49 PM
(06-02-2012 10:34 AM)satan69 Wrote:  "Atheist" shouldnt be a word anyway. There is no god to not believe in.

You may be correct. Hitchens had great angst over the word. He claimed not to be a-santa, a-easter bunny, a-troll, a-unicorn, so why a-theist.

Bertrand Russell gave his speech, "Why I am not a Christian", a recommended read that is as true today as it was almost a century ago. He did not title his speech, "Why I am an Atheist"

The term "Brights" was popular for some time, but it started to seem a little arrogant.

...but as I'm thinking as I write, why not Atheist?
The word comes originally from the religious and was framed as an immoral person not believing in god. Why not wear it with pride?
Maybe there is a case to be made that by turning the word around to mean something positive from a negative will give it more power!
Making the word "believer" associated with immoral behavior is more correct and with enough time may become the accepted cultural meaning.
The culture will drop the word atheist at some point as it will be like calling someone a human being. The special label will only be needed for the superstitious minority.

One can only hope!

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post