Is atheism dominated by males?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 05:17 AM
RE: Is atheism dominated by males?
Men are more prone to analytical thinking then women. That's basically what explains it.

Look it up, it's well documented by serious sources.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
(01-03-2014 05:17 AM)Juv Wrote:  Men are more prone to analytical thinking then women. That's basically what explains it.

Look it up, it's well documented by serious sources.

Men are more prone to analytical thinking than women or there are more men who are prone to analytical thinking than there are women?

There's a slight difference there.

If it's a matter of quantity (more men who think analytically than women) it makes sense. If it's a matter of quality (men do better in this area) then we should still wonder why some women become atheists after all.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
01-03-2014, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 07:30 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-02-2014 09:40 AM)donotwant Wrote:  I really think that atheism is dominated by males. That is because religion uses emotional pressure all the time and women are more vulnerable to it. For instance it is easier to scare women with pascals wager or get em to love a tyrant by telling em how much he loves em even though he is obviously evil.

Ah yes. Women are so emotional and irrational.
That is why the snake approached her first, ya know, (according to Aquinas).
"The light of reason shone less brightly in her". (Compendium of Theology)

Not You hang around the wrong people.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Wow. I felt like I just stepped into the 1950's with this whole male = rational and female = emotional (Irrational) stuff.

Hm... I think that I know an equal number of female and male atheists. It could be because I'm in the millennial generation. Younger women feel freer to express themselves than previous generations, though we still have much further to go when it comes to not be thought of as bitches because we offered an opinion or because we speak up when someone insults us.

I am pretty vocal about being an atheist, but I have learned to keep it from people who don't possess the same level of critical thinking skills as I do. It seems to blow their minds - even if they are non-religious people - when I tell them that I am against the teachings of the Bible and that I don't believe there is a god. It's really a shame that atheism still has such a bad reputation tied in with it.
[+] 2 users Like Flowergurl's post
03-03-2014, 04:01 AM
(02-03-2014 09:13 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Wow. I felt like I just stepped into the 1950's with this whole male = rational and female = emotional (Irrational) stuff.

Indeed. It's the go-to assumption being made isn't it.

(02-03-2014 09:13 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  I am pretty vocal about being an atheist, but I have learned to keep it from people who don't possess the same level of critical thinking skills as I do. It seems to blow their minds

An alternative theory to the ones posed on this thread could be that women are less likely to want to make a show of their atheism because they are more empathic and accepting of differences.

Maybe the question in the OP should be, do more males come on-line to discuss atheism?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
03-03-2014, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 07:08 AM by Dee.)
I just checked out some stats, and men do indeed quite outnumber women atheists, in all the polls I looked at.

Check this out:
"In 1813, the prominent doctor Thomas Cogan (founder of the Royal Humane Society) declared: "Men contemplate a female atheist with more disgust and horror than if she possessed the hardest features embossed with carbuncles."[23]

Historically, after our hunter gatherer stage, women have been held morally more responsible for their activities, ever so much more than men. There is more instruction on women's conduct than men's in sacred scriptures, often signaling her out for a misdeed. Just look at name calling: "I can't believe she would do that . . . a mother, whore, bitch, MOTHER fucker, slut, adulterous, cunt. Far more names assume and assess a woman's character than a man's.

It is she whom must be controlled and watched in an unequal balance to man.

Patriarchy is the foundation of all major religions. And in Christianity, Eve tempted her mate to commit the ultimate sin. Women have been taught and trained for a very long time that it is she whom needs governing.

Furthermore, all major religions lean heavily toward patriarchal dominance. In patriarchy men already hold the majority of power, and through religion are given family dominance. In so many ways the Christian man is god over his family. He needs to reflect the patriarchal head--God, and she must constantly seek recognition and through that validation under a patriarchal God, even her husband.

All in all why should he worry so much over his salvation, the favorite of gods.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 2 users Like Dee's post
03-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Again, I really don't think atheism is dominated by males. The vast majority of atheists I know are women. XD

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
03-03-2014, 09:16 AM
(03-03-2014 09:03 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Again, I really don't think atheism is dominated by males. The vast majority of atheists I know are women. XD

This is just becoming personal experience countered by personal experience.
(no offense Logica)
I'd rather like to read actual reports... but then again, I don't really care nor think this matters...

Atir aissom atir imon
03-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Eh, I think that its the women that let us men think we're dominant. Blush

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 5 users Like War Horse's post
03-03-2014, 10:03 AM
(03-03-2014 09:38 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Eh, I think that its the women that let us men think we're dominant. Blush

They can say whatever they want while they make my sammich, makes no difference to me Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon