Is atheism prideful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2017, 01:55 PM
RE: Is atheism prideful?
It's just another bullshit tactic.

First of all, it's only "prideful" based on their rules; rules that no longer apply to you.

Secondly, nothing is more prideful and arrogant than proclaiming that your god is the "one true god" and that you know what is right because of it. Proclaiming you don't believe in magic and stories that have zero corraboration (and in most cases history contradicts) isn't prideful or arrgogant, it's common sense.

What's prideful is someone proclaiming their book of impossible stories is 100% correct and turning around and having the nerve to tell someone else their book of impossible stories is 100% false.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
24-05-2017, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2017 02:03 PM by Brian37.)
(24-05-2017 10:11 AM)GMSkeptic Wrote:  I was just going over an old email from a family member who had just discovered I was an atheist. They had asked me about why I deconverted so I explained my perspective, told my deconversion story, and included some links to some Cosmic Skeptic videos that explained my points. Part of their response was this:

"As I continue to read through your story and watch the videos there's a single thread that comes through. The thread is pride. All of these "proofs" are based on what you want or need. You are smart, brilliant in fact, but you have become puffed up to the point you believe your creator has something to prove to you, on your time table and in your way. The pridefulness of the young man in the video about God makes me physically sick to my stomach. That's pride over and over. I pray you never become that prideful."

I found this pretty ridiculous. I never thought I was placing myself above God or believers somehow. I felt I was taking the humble position. I'd been a believer all my life, asserting I knew ultimate truth, but now I realize that I don't. All I know is what I can perceive and reason through as a flawed human being, and my arguments are just my best attempt at that. I could be wrong and I'm open to changing my position if evidence demand it. I'm not claiming superior understanding through divine revelation.

TL;DR version: I've been called prideful for being an atheist. I think my skepticism is a humble position because I'm not claiming divine knowledge and I'm 100% open to changing my position if it's proven invalid.

Opinions? Is atheism prideful? Are religious people just projecting when they say that?

"Pride" is an emotion, no single label owns a patient on it. It is really nothing but a word, denoting our feelings of being on the right track. People can be prideful and right and prideful and dead wrong.

Our species evolved to seek patterns, even if we succeed on false perceptions from marketing a claim it provides even a false perception creates safety in numbers.

The only thing the word "atheist" denotes is a lack of belief in a god or deity or gods. Outside that we also have a variety of education levels, and economic and political views.

Being proud of accepting facts to me is as silly as when a kid figures out how to use a toilet. Sure, it is growing and figuring things out, but it is also not a thing you brag about as if you won a Nobel Prize.

"Atheist" is my position, nothing more. I have things in my life that I am not proud of, and other things I think I have done well at. Class and status are nothing to me. I think the only thing even theists should be proud of, is our ability when we want to, is to be non violent even when we piss each other off verbally.

Outside that, pride is silly in a 13.8 billion year old universe. Not even the universe cares about atheists. All humans have are each other and we all live on a tiny rock and a very vulnerable finite rock.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-05-2017, 02:23 PM
This is how I deal with this charge: so you (the christian) think that the creator of the universe made this universe and considered you specifically in this design and this all powerful creator who is so powerful that it can literally speak all of creation into existence wants a personal relationship with YOU and you think that you have achieved this relationship and I'm arrogant because I don't?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
24-05-2017, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2017 03:06 PM by sea_tiger.)
I have noticed that during prayer or other religious event people naturally have their heads bowed , some on their knees.This posture is somewhat submissive .Even the sermon tells people to be obedient to God's will.Stories ,parables etc are meant for people to learn ,appreciate and gain understanding of divine wisdom.Holy Books are to be read to seek god,spirituality ,morality and guidance to lead proper life.People have huge emotional and personal investment in it.It is part of worldview.

The act of critical thinking,scepticism towards these treasured beliefs can be seen by them
as being rebellious ,prideful etc (my theory)
[+] 1 user Likes sea_tiger's post
24-05-2017, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2017 03:57 PM by GMSkeptic.)
Great thoughts, everyone!
[+] 1 user Likes GMSkeptic's post
24-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Is atheism prideful?
What the hell does that even mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
24-05-2017, 04:50 PM
On reflection I think my specific response to this sort of communication would try to be such that I didn't appear defensive and/or degenerate into an ass-kicking contest. ("It's pride!" "Is not!" "Is so!").

I wouldn't have much in the way of expectations here, but I would say something along these lines:

"I understand why you would see these lines of reasoning as prideful (or more exactly, arrogant) because you have been conditioned for a long time by the teachings you sit under to consider any sort of questioning of dogma as taboo. But it is actually a very humble stance to only afford belief to things that can be factually established, and any ideology that cannot tolerate honest, open inquiry is arrogant by definition. Therefore, the arrogance is in a belief-system that makes assertions and demands that they be accepted without question, and deflects from this by attacking the character and motivations of any questioners."

If I were dealing with a close relative who I have (or at least had) a decent relationship with I would reaffirm my love for them and thank them for being willing to listen and engage. Even though they aren't really doing either, strictly speaking, or at least not fully, giving them recognition for trying flies in the face of their efforts to reduce their discomfort by suggesting that you are prideful or at least flirting with it / influenced by it. Prideful people aren't gracious and appreciative.

Also you note that I phrased this so that I am critiquing the belief system, not them.

Of course it's entirely possible, even likely, that this would do no good at all, or that they'd find some way to take it very personally.

Still, you never know. As the Bible itself says, you plant seeds. Sometimes they grow. Sometimes they fall on unreceptive soil, right? Let it be what it is.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
24-05-2017, 05:23 PM
I have only one thing to say to theists who might accuse me of the sin of pride just for being an atheist:

"I have no interest in communicating with you!" Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
24-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Tell that fucking fool that anyone who rejects childish nonsense has a right to be proud.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
24-05-2017, 05:53 PM
GMSkeptic Wrote:Opinions? Is atheism prideful? Are religious people just projecting when they say that?

Not all. LDS(Mormons) would never say this to you.

There are plenty of prideful religious people.
They are also self-righteous people if they judge you.

I am judged on this forum by some atheists. They say I am horrible person because I voted for Trump and because I believe in horrible God YHWH(Christ).
So, there are plenty of self-righteous people on both sides.

P.S. Honest doubts have nothing to do with pride.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED