Is atheism responsible for mass shootings?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 04:37 AM
RE: Is atheism responsible for mass shootings?
Fear of hell is never been determined to be a valid deterrent. Plenty of religious killings happen and often those people think they are standing up for their God.

Your point is just the weak, atheism = lack of accountability concept. It really has no basis but is just a belief that believers chose to rally around against atheists. You aren't removing any layer of protection... if a person would commit a heinous crime if only not for fear of hell, they aren't a stand up moral person.

Anders Brevik in Norway didn't have his christian fear of hell that prevented him from killing 77 people, but he was charged as being legally sane.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
27-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Many secular, non-religious countries in Europe are excellent evidence against the notion that atheism is in any way, shape, or form responsible for mass shootings.

Also:

(26-01-2013 09:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  It may be more likely that as America declines, atheism rises.

Just remember, correlation does not prove causation.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
27-02-2013, 07:02 AM
In a word, no.

Next question. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-02-2013, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 07:26 AM by Free Thought.)
(27-02-2013 02:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Please don't hate me for starting this thread. Its not an attack on the validity of atheism. I am, however, suspicious that recent mass shootings might be an artifact of a growing trend in this country toward atheistic beleifs. My thinking goes like this: Imagine a pyscopath who believes in God. If that pyschopath get depressed and decides to kill himself he/she might refrain from killing others in the process because of a fear of going to hell. Remove that fear and you remove a layer of protection from innocent people.

Your points fail, yet again.

A fear of gods or hells would likely not effect a psychopath, many of them don't tend toward fear or hesitation, given their general lack or weakness of empathy, it is unlikely that they would find themselves seriously considering or caring for religion, or anything else for that matter.

Getting back to business; Atheism is as responsible for recent mass shootings as Stamp Collecting is responsible for desk jockies going Postal on every bodies ass, point being, it is not.

In your post, you correlate the rise of the non-religious with the shootings. This is a patently absurd correlation, which can be shown using other countries: Many nations have large or at least considerable and rapidly growing populations of non-believers, such as several in Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Denmark etc.) the UK, New Zealand, Australia and Japan. However they are not inundated with Mass Shootings as you suggest should happen to these other nations. There are likely other causes, separate from religion or lack there of; Civil unrest, perceived inequality, religious fanaticism, ideological dispute among a host of other possibilities. However, one stands up about the rest which I do not think you considered.

Mental instability, those who are mentally unstable likely don't consider their actions, whether their god will punish or reward them, they just do it, usually with no regard for the consequences.

But I can see what you mean about "remove the fear..." after all, how else were the masses kept in line during the Medieval Period? Can you imagine all the Kings, Queens and Emperors they could have felled if they did not think the monarchs had been placed there by the wills of Gods and that they would incur that Gods wrath should they revolt or rebel against or disagree with God's chosen person?

Absolutely disgusting idea.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
27-02-2013, 07:28 AM
troll

go away Nappa, nobody likes you.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
27-02-2013, 07:31 AM
(27-02-2013 07:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  troll
Now, now muffsy, using language like this hurts you... it is bad behaviour Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
27-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Does this face look like it gives a flying fuck?

27-02-2013, 07:39 AM
(27-02-2013 07:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Does this face look like it gives a flying fuck?
No, but it looks like it could use one, flying or not Angel

27-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm not having sex with you Vera.

[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
27-02-2013, 07:43 AM
(27-02-2013 07:41 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm not having sex with you Vera.
Oh, man I just lost the will to live.
Bye, I'm off to off myself. [Image: th_d34fc96f.gif]