Is atheism responsible for mass shootings?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 07:44 AM
RE: Is atheism responsible for mass shootings?
Can I have your stuff?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 07:47 AM
(27-02-2013 07:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Can I have your stuff?
No. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
27-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Sad

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
27-02-2013, 08:04 AM
(27-02-2013 03:38 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 02:39 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  The theist psychopath is just as likely to believe that everyone they meet are demons or demon-controlled, and that ridding the world of them is God's will. Do you have any data on whether recent shooters were theist or atheist?

I have no data on any of the shooters. My suspicions are just that. I am in no way making a claim of fact that a rise in atheism is the cause for the recent mass shootings.
I think your claim about the theist pyschopath is outlandish. A theist pyschopath isn't necessarily going to think everyone they meet is a demon etc.
What I am saying is a theists pyschopath maybe restained from committing harm to others by a belief in going to hell. An atheist pyschopath has no such restraint.

I think what you meant to say is that a theist psychopath isn't restrained at all from killing because he knows that he will be forgiven and that heaven awaits with open arms.
The atheist however has morals to restrain his actions. The theist doesn't.

An atheist brain knows that when his brain isn't processing information correctly that it's time to seek professional help because he has a rational view of how things work.

The theist brain will rationalize any abnormal behavior as "god is speaking to me and commands me". He will follow his own twisted thoughts and believe that he is doing god's will.
He has no threat of hell because he is doing god's work.

Your argument is irrational.
The extremely high number of christian inmates in prison would seem to indicate that the forgiveness of whatever you do from god could be a contributing factor in the committing of crimes.

I would argue that theism is responsible as a contributing factor in most all crimes, not just mass shootings.

And I would add that you are a freakin nut job to suggest that not believing your bullshit (aka having a rational reasonable outlook about the observable world around us) would somehow magically cause the opposite to happen in my brain.

An atheist brain is a rational brain
Yours is not

You might want to get some help for that before you go on a mass shooting spree

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
27-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Re: RE: Is atheism responsible for mass shootings?
(27-02-2013 07:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Does this face look like it gives a flying fuck?

Yes... if it was the brain again, I would agree

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-02-2013, 08:18 AM
(27-02-2013 04:04 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Maybe so...but i was very upfront that my "outlandish" suspicion was exactly that....a suspicion. I'm not going to go to war with you to defend my admittedly(right from the start) unfounded suspicion. My point in starting this thread was to discuss possible negative consequences to a rise in atheism. Please don't be afraid to have this discussion.

You want to discuss the negative consequences from rational thought, the negative consequences from having a reasonable justifiable outlook on reality, the negative consequences from scientific, documented, peer reviewed, useful information about about the world, the negative consequences from NOT paying a 10% tithe to the church and NOT buying into bullshit that poisons every mind it touches.

Is that what you want to discuss ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
27-02-2013, 08:27 AM
(27-02-2013 02:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Please don't hate me for starting this thread. Its not an attack on the validity of atheism. I am, however, suspicious that recent mass shootings might be an artifact of a growing trend in this country toward atheistic beleifs. My thinking goes like this: Imagine a pyscopath who believes in God. If that pyschopath get depressed and decides to kill himself he/she might refrain from killing others in the process because of a fear of going to hell. Remove that fear and you remove a layer of protection from innocent people.
If someone is refraining from killing people simply because they are afraid of Hell, then they are clearly in a state of delusion the likes of which would require medication and psychological counseling. To blame atheism for what some nut does, would be like blaming the Jews for the Holocaust. It's completely illogical...

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 08:58 AM
(27-02-2013 04:09 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 04:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
So your opinion is that a rise in atheism is awesome and there are no negatives whatsoever?

The current "rise" in atheism is a direct response to the proliferation of right-wing fundamentalism which has been building for the past 40 years ... at least here in the US.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-02-2013, 09:02 AM
(27-02-2013 04:09 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 04:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
So your opinion is that a rise in atheism is awesome and there are no negatives whatsoever?

Yes, it is my opinion that it is awesome and without negatives.

However, I am open to evidence and reasoned argument to the contrary.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-02-2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies...ition.html
Fallacy of Composition.
Correlation is not causation. (see any list fallacies).
Psychopathy is a disease. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy
A psychopath is irrational, therefore their belief system, or reality does not inform their actions, or decisions, by definition, they are irrational in any way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche