Is atheism responsible for mass shootings?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2013, 04:04 PM
RE: Is atheism responsible for mass shootings?
(27-02-2013 02:16 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I have little time at the moment and haven't read the whole thread, so please forgive me if I repeat something that was already said.

What bothers me most is the way you phrased your question. I would much rather discuss "are more mass shooters atheists than theists" than "is atheism responsible for mass shootings". The first is an honest question. The second seems far more biased toward an expected answer.

What is responsible for mass shootings is very complex and each murderer probably has some unique circumstances compared with others. To think atheism might be the cause or even an important factor is simplistic thinking. Clearly these shootings involve severe mental disturbance and that can come from biological, social, psychological, or environmental factors (drugs, for example) or some combination of those. And there is still so much we don't yet understand about mass shootings.

I have worked directly with people who have schizophrenia and often there is a religious component to the illness. Many schizophrenics have hallucinations of demons, some of which may tell them to go kill people. Others believe they are actually God. So, in a twisted sense, your answer could be that theism is responsible. However, to claim that would be just as inaccurate and wrong as attributing responsibility to atheism.

Finally, when it comes to psychopathology, believing in a deity has no impact on whether a person carries out an action such as mass shootings. They feel compelled because of their illness and it is literally not within their control to stop themselves just because they think a god is watching. Often, they are thinking "I don't want to do this" at some level while they are in the middle of continuing to do the very thing they don't want to do.

Good insightful post. Still, if I were ever left alone with an off the rocker psychopath, Id rather that psychopath believe in God, Heaven, and Hell than be an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2013, 06:24 PM
That is because you feel you would be able to manipulate them with irrational ideas. You have nothing you can manipulate the atheist with and that is the crux.

Believers can be manipulated and skeptical people like atheists don't buy into your bullshit.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-02-2013, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 07:13 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(28-02-2013 06:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  That is because you feel you would be able to manipulate them with irrational ideas. You have nothing you can manipulate the atheist with and that is the crux.

Believers can be manipulated and skeptical people like atheists don't buy into your bullshit.
Lets say I awoke and found myself bound and gaged by a pyschopath...completely unable to manipulate him. I would still prefer my pyschopathic captor be a believer in God, Heaven, and Hell than an atheist.

I'm just curious, why you find asking the question if the rise of atheism is the cause of these recent mass shootings is bullshit. Are you so locked in and dependent on your world veiw that if someone merely suggest it might have a negative effect on society you get butthurt? If that is not the bullshit you are talking about can you cite what it is you are talking about?
28-02-2013, 09:35 PM
(28-02-2013 07:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-02-2013 06:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  That is because you feel you would be able to manipulate them with irrational ideas. You have nothing you can manipulate the atheist with and that is the crux.

Lets say I awoke and found myself bound and gaged by a pyschopath...completely unable to manipulate him. I would still prefer my pyschopathic captor be a believer in God, Heaven, and Hell than an atheist.

I'm just curious, why you find asking the question if the rise of atheism is the cause of these recent mass shootings is bullshit. Are you so locked in and dependent on your world veiw that if someone merely suggest it might have a negative effect on society you get butthurt? If that is not the bullshit you are talking about can you cite what it is you are talking about?

What is bullshit? You disingenuous question, which is an attempt at trolling while you try to veil it as if it was a legit inquiry. You ask a provocative, stupid, and loaded question, then act all surprised when we call you out on it. You're either are genuinely ignorant, or a troll. Good luck with that, I'm done here... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
(28-02-2013 04:04 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Good insightful post. Still, if I were ever left alone with an off the rocker psychopath, Id rather that psychopath believe in God, Heaven, and Hell than be an atheist.
What if the psychopath who believed in God, Heaven, and Hell believed he was called by his creator to murder you and would not be swayed by any semblance of reason or logic...

Would you still want the psychopath to be a believer?

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2013, 02:31 PM
I can also see that the believer psychopath may think that they aren't doing any harm as "god will sort them out" and that the innocent will be moving on to a better life thus absolving them of any guilt. Haywood, how many troll-like baiting threads are you going to start in the next few days? Perhaps you should instead focus on educating your self instead of throwing all of this shit against the wall and stick with a topic or two.
01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Heywood wants his hypothetical psychopath to be Christian because, like all Christians, he cannot imagine a mindset different than his own. He has accepted that somehow the atheist mindset exists but it is alien to him, he doesn't understand any of us nor does he want to. He thinks we are all the same, as if 'atheist' is some category that identifies us the way 'Christian' identifies him. And he thinks that a Christian psychopath would let him live because, like him, the psychopath would be so afraid of God and Hell that he wouldn't dare commit murder - Heywood is incapable of picturing or even understanding that a Christian psychopath could or would behave in an un-Christian manner...

Because he still believes that words like 'Christian' (or 'atheist') define the individuals rather than the other way around.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
(01-03-2013 02:37 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Heywood wants his hypothetical psychopath to be Christian because, like all Christians, he cannot imagine a mindset different than his own. He has accepted that somehow the atheist mindset exists but it is alien to him, he doesn't understand any of us nor does he want to. He thinks we are all the same, as if 'atheist' is some category that identifies us the way 'Christian' identifies him. And he thinks that a Christian psychopath would let him live because, like him, the psychopath would be so afraid of God and Hell that he wouldn't dare commit murder - Heywood is incapable of picturing or even understanding that a Christian psychopath could or would behave in an un-Christian manner...

Because he still believes that words like 'Christian' (or 'atheist') define the individuals rather than the other way around.

Another Ad homenin attack.
The only way to settle the question of whether or not it would be better to be held captive by an antheist pyschopath or a christian pyscopath would be to run a series of controlled experiments. An equal number of voluteers would be allowed to be captured by pyscopaths of each presuasion. Then we'd see how many volunteers were killed by Christian pyschopaths and compare it to the number killed by the atheists pyschopaths. Of course such an experiment would never be run.
My claim that it would be better to be captured by a christian pyschopath then an atheistic pyschopath is just a personal opinion. I'm not going to get butthurt if your opinion differs.
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
(28-02-2013 07:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Lets say I awoke and found myself bound and gaged by a pyschopath...completely unable to manipulate him. I would still prefer my pyschopathic captor be a believer in God, Heaven, and Hell than an atheist.

Now do you mean unable to manipulate because you're gagged and can't talk? How does your religious/non-religious preference have any standing whatsoever upon your situation? Is it that by knowing if they're a christian and once you were able to talk, you can manipulate them by using their religious beliefs as a baseline?

BTW, the answer to your username is no. I would suggest going on sites like Christianmingle to get that sort of action. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
(01-03-2013 04:05 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  BTW, the answer to your username is no. I would suggest going on sites like Christianmingle to get that sort of action. Thumbsup
I can't believe I didn't catch that. Well I guess that just confirms he's a douche.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.