"Is atheism worth it?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 07:50 AM
"Is atheism worth it?"
I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I will keep my opinion to myself for a bit so I don't influence the first few comments. Surprise me.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
27-04-2017, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 07:57 AM by Robvalue.)
RE: "Is atheism worth it?"
I don't understand the question. It appears to be malformed.

I expect the person asking it doesn't know what atheism is.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
27-04-2017, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 08:01 AM by Vera.)
Worth what? How much did you guys pay? Don't tell me I've been swindled! Once again! Angry

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 13 users Like Vera's post
27-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Nope. Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Compared to the alternatives, it's worth every penny.
Thumbsup
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
27-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Define 'it'

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
27-04-2017, 08:12 AM
"Is atheism worth it?"

I agree that the question is flawed.

It implies Pascal's Wager applying a value to a question.

It implies Objective/Subjective values, by assuming that a value system applies consistently.

It implies that we choose our beliefs, by assuming that if atheism is a matter of choice and that if it is not "worth it" we would/could do something to change.

The only merit the question has is to present the flaws inherent to several popular theistic arguments.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Is religion worth it?
[+] 5 users Like Gawdzilla's post
27-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Quote:atheism
ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

It depends in which you define what Atheism is worth.

Do you get anything physical out of it, that is valuable in anyway. No.

But, are you free to think openly about literally ANYTHING you want and form your own opinions based on factual evidence? YES - and that in itself is worth everything to me. I honestly can't fathom being dictated to and having to follow something mindlessly without any thought what so ever.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
27-04-2017, 08:22 AM
(27-04-2017 07:50 AM)Leerob Wrote:  I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I will keep my opinion to myself for a bit so I don't influence the first few comments. Surprise me.

No label, no religious label, not even the word "atheist" has any automatic value that has magic powers to make the individual only do good. Our species behaviors are evolutionary, both good and bad. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate are in our genes, and upbringing, and mental state, not our labels, not even "atheist".

I am a social and economic liberal atheist. Having said that, I don't agree with other atheists that think Che, the revolutionary who lead to Catsro's Cuba is good economics.

I also on the other hand, DON'T agree with the libertarian "fuck you I got mine" Ayn Rand atheists who sell the bullshit that any tax at all is robbery.

"Atheist" merely means "off" on god claims, nothing more. We are not a gang, nor should we think, even as atheists we should become a gang. Humans no matter the label are still ultimately individuals, and even as an atheist, I still do not owe any blind loyalty to other atheists.

"Is atheism worth it" is a nonsense question. Is being non violent worth it? YES! Is caring about the stability of your economy worth it? YES. Is any form of blind loyalty worth it? NO!

I will vote for a liberal Christian like Obama, before I would vote for a Che supporter or Ayn Rand supporter.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37