"Is atheism worth it?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 08:40 AM
RE: "Is atheism worth it?"
I can only guess what the author of the question is driving at.

I'd bet on some sort of "you have no hope there is an afterlife" or some drivel like that. This is total nonsense because atheism and believing in an afterlife are not necessarily exclusive (although they do tend not to go together), and it's assuming belief/hope affect reality.

Otherwise, I have no idea. The alternative is to try and delude oneself. That's certainly not worth it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
27-04-2017, 08:43 AM
I'd pay a penny or two.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-04-2017, 08:58 AM
The answer is either blue or bluish green.
[+] 7 users Like skyking's post
27-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Heck, being able to shop on Sundays in empty stores alone is worth it. I'll raise my price to thruppence.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
27-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Absolutely! I got mine on sale at Woolworth's for $289.98 ($399.95 list price) because of minor flaws in the packaging. It has been worth every penny of initial cost and has actually grown in value over time. Why, I've seem vintage atheism of my era on eBay for more than $2k! I think I got a real bargain, and mine has worn well over the years, even when it had mud thrown at it by religious fanatics. It just slides off, and a little soap and water (plus a little mental scrub for the really obnoxious evangelical odors) and it is as good as new. It even survived 20 years of wear-and-tear in the Army with only minor dents and scratches.

Relatives keep telling me to trade it in for the New and Improved Megachurch more-social-than-belief Theism, but I just decline. I like my atheism just the way it is, and plan to keep it for life.
Drinking Beverage
[+] 15 users Like Rockblossom's post
27-04-2017, 09:29 AM
(27-04-2017 09:19 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Absolutely! I got mine on sale at Woolworth's for $289.98 ($399.95 list price) because of minor flaws in the packaging. It has been worth every penny of initial cost and has actually grown in value over time. Why, I've seem vintage atheism of my era on eBay for more than $2k! I think I got a real bargain, and mine has worn well over the years, even when it had mud thrown at it by religious fanatics. It just slides off, and a little soap and water (plus a little mental scrub for the really obnoxious evangelical odors) and it is as good as new. It even survived 20 years of wear-and-tear in the Army with only minor dents and scratches.

Relatives keep telling me to trade it in for the New and Improved Megachurch more-social-than-belief Theism, but I just decline. I like my atheism just the way it is, and plan to keep it for life.
Drinking Beverage

^^^ Top answer.

Atheism: Because you're worth it!

Yes

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
27-04-2017, 09:37 AM
The extra sleep on Sundays? The lack of constant worry that an invisible sky wizard is watching my every move? The lack of constant worry that some other high and mighty christian might be watching and go tell on me for not acting exactly like they think I should? The constant pressure of having to be involved with group activities and pretending to be happy when I'm not? The lack of worry that after I die I might not please said sky wizard and he decides it's best to punish me forever?

Is all that worth it? Two words....hell yes.

The only bad part of no afterlife at all is all these religious people won't have a way to look back and regret at all the time they wasted living the way they did, all for a ghost.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
27-04-2017, 09:42 AM
(27-04-2017 07:50 AM)Leerob Wrote:  I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I will keep my opinion to myself for a bit so I don't influence the first few comments. Surprise me.

Worth it? Worth what? It's not like I'm trying to achieve anything. The alternative is to make myself believe bullshit, which, in this case, I can't.
[+] 3 users Like kemo boy's post
27-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Asking this question is the same as asking is it worth it that you stopped believing in Santa Claus.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
27-04-2017, 09:47 AM
I'd say ABSOLUTELY! I'd rather spend my one throw of the dice enjoying every possible moment than wasting even one second on that moronic drivel.

Don't Believe the Hype
[+] 1 user Likes Walluin's post