"Is atheism worth it?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 12:07 PM
"Is atheism worth it?"
Religion isn't worhty of wasting time on so it seems that lack of it is worth this nebulous it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2017, 12:11 PM
RE: "Is atheism worth it?"
What does the question mean? Does it mean is it worth it to be an atheist or is atheism itself something of worth? Now of the two the latter is more
important to me personally. As any position must have valid or sound premises and conclusions before it can be adopted otherwise it has zero value

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
27-04-2017, 12:29 PM
da fuq leerob gonna come outta the bushes?

I don't feel it is worth it to proclaim being an atheist without an agenda. That's me. Religion is a part of my life thanks to divine interruption, but unless one's integrity demands it, I can't see where it is worth it.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Me niether.
27-04-2017, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 12:53 PM by Thoreauvian.)
Intellectual honesty is worth the trouble. I am happier with a sound conscience.

From Wikipedia:

Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving, characterized by an unbiased, honest attitude, which can be demonstrated in a number of different ways:

One's personal beliefs do not interfere with the pursuit of truth;
Relevant facts and information are not purposefully omitted even when such things may contradict one's hypothesis;
Facts are presented in an unbiased manner, and not twisted to give misleading impressions or to support one view over another;
References, or earlier work, are acknowledged where possible, and plagiarism is avoided.

Harvard ethicist Louis M. Guenin describes the "kernel" of intellectual honesty to be "a virtuous disposition to eschew deception when given an incentive for deception".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_honesty
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Affirming a lack of belief -- that is, refusing to lie to oneself by trying to adopt beliefs against one's better judgement -- is always worth it. The alternative, playing the "fake it till you make it" game and plunging into a state of cognitive dissonance, is a horrible way to live.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
27-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Definitely worth being able to masturbate in peace without a dead Jew on a stick offering his opinion.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
27-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Worth it ...? Consider

Well, I thought there might be a beverage at least but ... even without one ... I guess it's ok. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-04-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure what this question is getting at, but I save 10% of my income annually, so I would say emphatically yes. Also, the massive weight of Christianity being lifted off of my shoulders, so you bet!

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
27-04-2017, 02:50 PM
What is atheism other than "lack of belief in gods"

Is "lack of belief in gods" worth it?

Worth what? What cost is there with regards to lacking belief in something?

How much does it cost to lack belief in fairies or in the Roswell crash?

Actually "lack of belief" is synonymous with skepticism.
Is skepticism worth it?

Skepticism means that you won't immediately believe what you are told, especially when what you are being told is an exceptional tale. Is it "worth it" to be skeptical?
Sure it is.
Is it worth it to be gullible?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post