"Is atheism worth it?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 03:38 PM
RE: "Is atheism worth it?"
(27-04-2017 07:50 AM)Leerob Wrote:  I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I will keep my opinion to myself for a bit so I don't influence the first few comments. Surprise me.

Is reality worth it? Yes. Is truth worth it? Yes. Is common sense worth it? Yes.

That is why atheism is worth it.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
27-04-2017, 04:00 PM
"Is atheism worth it?"
(27-04-2017 07:50 AM)Leerob Wrote:  I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I will keep my opinion to myself for a bit so I don't influence the first few comments. Surprise me.

What does the question mean to you? Without more specificity, our interpretations of the question could vary widely and wildly, for that matter.
27-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Yeah!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Thank you thank you everybody. You said exactly what I was thinking when I read the question too.
And those who are asking for more context etc, I didn't get more context when I was presented with this question either.
The one and only thing this person said was that he was a theist but he was planning to become an atheist next month and was wondering if it's worth it.

So my comment on that question was that I explained what atheism is. I told him that if he believes in god but plans to leave religion, he is not an atheist and that it is unlikely that he can turn that switch on and off by will just like that.

In my opinion, finally after 4 pages of your answers:
Although I am not 100% sure what the question is actually about, I am not gaining anything from being an atheist so it is not "worth it" whatever "it" is. Quite the contrary. It is harder to communicate certain things to theists, it is harder to deal with some things, it is uncomfortable that I cannot brush of things to a god or higher power when it gets difficult or challenging or sad. I have to own up to all my actions, find ways to deal with hardship other than "god is testing me" or "god only puts as much burden on me as I can handle". I don't get to feel as if I did something just because my palms touch and I whisper to an invisible friend.
So no, it is not worth it.

But considering all of that, I still rather live in the real world, use my head and reason. Dreamworlds and fairy tales are for children.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
27-04-2017, 04:12 PM
(27-04-2017 04:00 PM)Rachel Wrote:  What does the question mean to you? Without more specificity, our interpretations of the question could vary widely and wildly, for that matter.

I kept the context out for exactly that reason Wink To see what everybody interprets into it. It's interesting, don't you think?

27-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Is having a rational mind that is able to discern fact from fantasy, worth it ?

I would say, Yes.

The benefits of not being gullible and the ability to think critically about situations without having imaginary conversations in your mind, is an amazing way to live your life.

I recommend sanity and a life without delusion.
It really is worth it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
27-04-2017, 04:49 PM
I think some people are better off with religion but it doesn't matter to me if I'm one of them because I'm not going to believe either way.
27-04-2017, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 05:06 PM by Rachel.)
"Is atheism worth it?"
(27-04-2017 04:12 PM)Leerob Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 04:00 PM)Rachel Wrote:  What does the question mean to you? Without more specificity, our interpretations of the question could vary widely and wildly, for that matter.

I kept the context out for exactly that reason Wink To see what everybody interprets into it. It's interesting, don't you think?

Not really. I don't like these kind of mind games or even Rorschach tests. Say what you mean or leave it alone.

EDIT: I'm smelling a rat here. This guy is supposedly a theist and is planning on becoming an atheist? I can't control what it is I believe and I doubt anyone else can either. Either something makes sense to me or it doesn't. And this guy is going to wake up on May 1, 2017 and decides he suddenly doesn't believe in a god? Baloney.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
27-04-2017, 05:06 PM
(27-04-2017 05:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Not really. I don't like these kind of mind games or even Rorschach tests. Say what you mean or leave it alone.
Well that's how the world works. Different view points, interpretation, lack of information, opinions,...

EDIT:
Quote:EDIT: I'm smelling a rat here. This guy is supposedly a theist and is planning on becoming an atheist? I can't control what it is I believe and I doubt anyone else can either. Either something makes sense to me or it doesn't. And this guy is going to wake up on May 1, 2017 and decides he suddenly doesn't believe in a god? Baloney.
Agreed Big Grin

27-04-2017, 05:25 PM
"Is atheism worth it?"
(27-04-2017 05:06 PM)Leerob Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 05:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Not really. I don't like these kind of mind games or even Rorschach tests. Say what you mean or leave it alone.
Well that's how the world works. Different view points, interpretation, lack of information, opinions,...

Uh-huh. I believe in straightforward communication. You don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk