"Is atheism worth it?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 06:13 PM by cactus.)
RE: "Is atheism worth it?"
Umm, hell yeah it's worth it. My effective tax rate would be 10% higher if I still believed that crap.

I feel very fortunate to have discovered my atheism just before I started making decent money. Cool

I still have the carbon copy of the last check I wrote to a church. It's over 8 years old now Smile I keep it for ye olde tymes sake.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
27-04-2017, 06:28 PM
Well, if being emancipated from superstition, anxiety and ignorance is worth it, I'd have to say yes. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
27-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Yup. Living a life based on what we know as opposed to what we pretend to know makes me feel better.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
27-04-2017, 06:57 PM
I always had a habit of under-reporting my income when I "tithed," too. Shh, don't tell the Eternal Revenue Service.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
27-04-2017, 08:22 PM
(27-04-2017 07:50 AM)Leerob Wrote:  I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I will keep my opinion to myself for a bit so I don't influence the first few comments. Surprise me.

Well since my atheism is just me being honest to myself, I'd say yes, resoundingly!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
27-04-2017, 08:50 PM
I think the question is a form of Pascal's Wager, (haven't read the thread).
It also presumes Utilitarianism is a good thing.
I'd ask back : "Is Utilitarianism a good thing ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-04-2017, 10:03 PM
I agree that on the face of it, theism (and especially religion) seems to represent gullibility. But I think it's important to note that a great deal of this is down to conditioning. If, from an early age, the way you are taught to think is always entwined with "God", it's not surprising that you will probably develop a theistic mindset, at least initially. Especially if everyone around you always talks in those terms.

I think a lot of people find it hard to break that conditioning, or to even realize there's any sort of alternative way to think for a long time. It seems we have a natural tendency to defend whatever beliefs we have, and the longer we've held them the more we'll fight. This can happen on a subconscious level, with the brain obfuscating the matter even to itself, in order to stop the core belief being properly analysed. You'll noticed that theists often sound like they're trying to convince themselves in "debates" with atheists; in fact it often feels like the only reason they are doing it.

So sure, it is gullible to accept any new claim without evidence. But it's a different matter to continue to hold a belief that's been drilled into you since you've been able to talk. I know this is not news to those who have beaten religion, but I think it's important for those who have never been part of it (or for whom the attempts did not stick) to appreciate just how powerful and insidious indoctrination is.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
28-04-2017, 08:36 AM
(27-04-2017 05:25 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 05:06 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Well that's how the world works. Different view points, interpretation, lack of information, opinions,...

Uh-huh. I believe in straightforward communication. You don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh you're one of those. You're entertaining. keep going. Laugh out load

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
28-04-2017, 08:39 AM
(27-04-2017 10:03 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I think a lot of people find it hard to break that conditioning, or to even realize there's any sort of alternative way to think for a long time.

Yes yes! A little bit like children who are told to do something and don't even dare to wonder if there is another way to do the thing, or don't dare to ask if they may do another thing.
Though children grow up and develop some critical thinking skills usually. And if they become religious people, those skills don't apply to religion.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
28-04-2017, 09:03 AM
"Is atheism worth it?"
(28-04-2017 08:36 AM)Leerob Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 05:25 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Uh-huh. I believe in straightforward communication. You don't.

Oh you're one of those. You're entertaining. keep going. Laugh out load

As I was saying...