"Is atheism worth it?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2017, 12:49 AM
RE: "Is atheism worth it?"
Yeah, it sounds like a disappointed parent asking a rebellious teenager after they've just done something foolish.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
30-04-2017, 12:55 AM
(29-04-2017 10:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm convinced that the question comes from a theist who is saying "You get to live without the constraints that faith puts on *me*, but you get no reward, and you go to hell". The question is (from a theist's view), was the freedom worth it, in light of the (claimed) outcome. It's a warped rehash of Pascal's Wager.

Oh yea for sure, it's 100% a Pascal's Wager question. It's basically a more polite way of saying "Is Atheism worth burning in hell for all eternity". Typical bullshit theists spew out their foul mouths. It's a way of mentioning religion, and implying that it's right, without actually mentioning religion.

When you say "is it worth burning in hell for?" you inevitably get answers like "I don't believe in hell" and all that fact based arguments. But with the way it's worded it's more subtle and so you're likely to get a different kind of answer like "yes because I don't waste my time at Church etc..". While those answers are valid they don't address the subtle underlining dig the question presents, that being that religion is right, when it is not. So the theist asking the question gets to reaffirm their position is the right position because you haven't answered with an answer that dismisses the stupidity that is their cancerous religion.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
30-04-2017, 03:39 AM
(30-04-2017 12:49 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yeah, it sounds like a disappointed parent asking a rebellious teenager after they've just done something foolish.

> I have to agree, although I suppose it would depend on who posed the question in the first place. It sounds like something I'd expect to hear from a Jehovah's Witness or some other religious twit.
30-04-2017, 04:12 AM
(30-04-2017 12:49 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yeah, it sounds like a disappointed parent asking a rebellious teenager after they've just done something foolish.

Like going to church or joining a cult or buying a Nickleback t-shirt.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
02-05-2017, 09:41 PM
(27-04-2017 07:50 AM)Leerob Wrote:  I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I will keep my opinion to myself for a bit so I don't influence the first few comments. Surprise me.

Since I got it free at a tag sale, yes. How much did you pay?

What a dumb question. [Image: mdRjZLV.gif?zoom=2] [Image: kELbtM2.gif?zoom=2]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
03-05-2017, 09:53 AM
(27-04-2017 07:50 AM)Leerob Wrote:  I saw this question somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about it.

I think the questioner was erroneously considering "atheism" as an aggregate of beliefs, dogma, scholarship, philosophy, ritualisation, teachings etc.

So I'd regard the question as nonsensical, and not worth debating.

Atheism is simply a singular, personal state of mind about one sole issue—nothing more; nothing less. The non-existence of the paranormal and/or the supernatural.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post