Is being an Atheist dogmatic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2016, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2016 07:13 AM by Velvet.)
RE: Is being an Atheist dogmatic?
(24-10-2016 10:15 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  Now with being an Atheist, you use logic, science, and the laws of nature to prove that the ideas of many religions based off scriptures are faulty/ or insufficient to be real. Now my question: would this be considered dogmatic?

We are basically disproving their faith and religion with science and actuality, and we do not adhere to any of their side of the argument because they base it off scriptures with faulty logic.

No because we don't claim to know what its the truth, we just claim that we shouldn't be pretending to know when we actually don't.

We also don't claim that science and logic are the perfect ways to achieve knowledge, we just don't have anything that has been shown to be even closely as reliable; now, for example, if a philosopher come up with a method which is demonstrably more reliable we will adopt this new method.

We also go great lengths to avoid our own confirmation bias in research or reasoning, its part of scientific method.

Now, in my own experience I always work theist arguments on their ground (I do it for fun), and find their claims to be not "just unsupported" but actually internally inconsistent, you can show the bible to be bullshit without even having to argue anything that its not from the bible itself.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Velvet's post
25-10-2016, 07:07 AM
(24-10-2016 10:15 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  Now with being an Atheist, you use logic, science, and the laws of nature to prove that the ideas of many religions based off scriptures are faulty/ or insufficient to be real. Now my question: would this be considered dogmatic?

I think that's where you have it backwards. It is the use of skepticism that leads me to atheism. I don't use it "as an atheist". If and when somebody provides the evidence to support theism I will accept that conclusion and no longer be an atheist. I will, however, still be a skeptic.

Given the history of apologetics, I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
26-10-2016, 01:51 PM
No, atheism is definitely not dogmatic.

It holds one single tenet (which is an absolutely personal state of mind) that there is no empirical evidence that supports a belief in supernatural entities or paranormal phenomena.

That's it. Atheists have zero need for a 1,200 page book setting this out clearly. As I just did.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Atheism is just lack of belief, so no, it isn't dogmatic but rather based on total lack of evidence for existence of something called god.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-10-2016, 02:49 PM
(24-10-2016 10:15 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  I am making an educated (I hope so) generalization here: many devoted religion people usually are biased or dogmatic in their beliefs' and believe that their religion is the only one that, and that everyone should practice theirs', for the most part, that is.

Now with being an Atheist, you use logic, science, and the laws of nature to prove that the ideas of many religions based off scriptures are faulty/ or insufficient to be real. Now my question: would this be considered dogmatic?

Note: when I say "their side", I am referring to an hypothetical example of debating with a religious person.

We are basically disproving their faith and religion with science and actuality, and we do not adhere to any of their side of the argument because they base it off scriptures with faulty logic.

Nope atheism is nothing.
It's the absence of something. The absence of a belief in the gods.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-10-2016, 02:53 PM
(24-10-2016 10:15 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  I am making an educated (I hope so) generalization here: many devoted religion people usually are biased or dogmatic in their beliefs' and believe that their religion is the only one that, and that everyone should practice theirs', for the most part, that is.

Now with being an Atheist, you use logic, science, and the laws of nature to prove that the ideas of many religions based off scriptures are faulty/ or insufficient to be real. Now my question: would this be considered dogmatic?

Note: when I say "their side", I am referring to an hypothetical example of debating with a religious person.

Am I being dogmatic in not accepting dogma?

No.

Find me a more effective method for rejecting faulty thinking and I'll cheerfully do it even faster.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
26-10-2016, 03:26 PM
[Image: 60654572-cartoon-about-rude-language-and....jpg?ver=6]

Rolleyes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-10-2016, 07:24 AM
Only if you also choose to follow the impeccable guidence of the all powerful atheismo

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-10-2016, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 07:31 AM by Full Circle.)

Nope, that would make us skeptical.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-10-2016, 07:38 AM
(24-10-2016 10:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  An atheist who is unwilling/unable to change his mind in the face of better arguments and/or solid evidence is not a freethinker. There are many types of atheist out there, since it only means "godless". A Buddhist and a disciple of Ayn Rand are both technically atheists, as they have no gods in either of those pursuits, but their life-philosophies could not be more different. The same goes for Communists versus Secular Humanists-- our values are almost diametrically opposed to one another. So while one cannot be dogmatic about atheism itself (as has been explained already by WhiskeyD), one can be an atheist who holds other ideas to a level that could be considered dogmatic.

We're something of a freethinking community, however. Dogma is almost literally the opposite of what we do here at TTA.

Often, we are accused of being dogmatic when we stand up for the findings of science, such as evolution, abiogenesis, or astrophysics/cosmology, but it's not the same thing as a dogma. Things that have been conclusively demonstrated as factual, over hundreds of repeated tests by a variety of individuals and experimental methods, we may presume to be so well-confirmed as to be taken for granted as true... but that is still not a dogma.

For instance, I am an evolutionary biologist by education and career... I have literally thousands of hours spent studying this phenomenon and seeing its predictions manifested, firsthand, and know as much or more about evolution than 99.9% of the population out there.

And yet, if a good argument was presented tomorrow that conclusively showed me that all of that is wrong (or that it may be better-explained by another phenomenon/model/theory), then I will change my mind immediately and evolution will be gone.

But I see people making endless arguments against evolution which are terrible arguments, and when I tell them that no, I know what they're saying is not an argument against evolution like they think it is, they tell me I'm being dogmatic to my "faith" in evolution.

It's ridiculous, and misunderstands the entire basis of freethinking.

I've realized; after so many back and forths with the various religious people on this forum, that there is a significant divide between colloquial descriptions of things and scientific descriptions of things.

The apologist will think they have a great point when they say something like "evolution is just a theory" or "it takes more faith to be an atheist".

Behind each of these statements is a fundamental ignorance of what theory, faith or evidence means apart from their colloquial definitions.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post