Poll: Is "belief" a choice
Yes. Belief is a choice.
No. Belief is not a choice.
I dont know
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is "belief" a choice?...lets talk about that.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-03-2016, 09:58 AM
RE: Is "belief" a choice?...lets talk about that.
(11-03-2016 09:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 09:26 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I now cannot help but ask this question to all the individual who claim that "belief" is a choice. If "belief" is simply a "choice" why do you choose not to believe in a God or gods? Why not take caution and choose to believe?

Even if belief would be a choice it's changes nothing - there is no proof for existence of something commonly called god. So it would not be a caution but waste of time and depriving oneself of x where x can be life pleasures prohibited by particular cult.
But if belief is a choice, you can simply choose to believe something regardless of its lack of evidence to support it...right?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
(11-03-2016 09:58 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But if belief is a choice, you can simply choose to believe something regardless of its lack of evidence to support it...right?
You're begging the question

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
11-03-2016, 10:03 AM
(11-03-2016 09:58 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 09:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Even if belief would be a choice it's changes nothing - there is no proof for existence of something commonly called god. So it would not be a caution but waste of time and depriving oneself of x where x can be life pleasures prohibited by particular cult.
But if belief is a choice, you can simply choose to believe something regardless of its lack of evidence to support it...right?

I'm not one who thinks that belief is a choice, but I would say yes. If you can choose what to believe, then you can even choose to believe in Jewish mythology being true.

But what would be the point?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Anyway, I think the intent of this post has been met. I agree that I should have been more specific on the term "belief" and the context that it is applied too. But I think this was overall, a rather interesting discussion.
11-03-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm surprised we didn't spend more time discussing the nature of free will in a material universe. There's still time yet. Popcorn

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
11-03-2016, 10:10 AM
(11-03-2016 10:07 AM)cactus Wrote:  I'm surprised we didn't spend more time discussing the nature of free will in a material universe. There's still time yet. Popcorn
Oh no you dont! Don't put that voodoo on me, Ricky Bobby!
11-03-2016, 10:12 AM
(11-03-2016 09:36 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 09:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager
It's been debunked. Big Grin
Pascal's Wager is different. It suggests that you should just "go through the motions" of Christianity despite your lack of belief. I am asking if belief is a choice, why not choose to believe in Jesus (just in case) and follow it's teachings because you believe them?

Because, even if it was possible to choose to believe, such belief assents to the utterly repulsive, primitive, and immoral notions of sin, blood atonement and damnation. It's requiring someone to choose to venerate a homicidal deity--wholeheartedly--for the basest of reasons, i.e., saving themselves from said deity's wrath.

The teachings of Jesus aren't superior ethically to the teachings of a number of other thinkers. Nor is there much difference in their general content. My personal code of ethics shares a number of principles with Jesus's teachings. But I will never call myself a "follower" of Jesus; he didn't invent those ideas anymore than Socrates did, just expressed them in a way that made sense to many people.

I find those ideas admirable and interesting, often convincing. But there is nothing in this universe or outside of it (if your god is outside) that I'm going to worship.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
11-03-2016, 10:14 AM
(11-03-2016 09:58 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But if belief is a choice, you can simply choose to believe something regardless of its lack of evidence to support it...right?

I could probably be convinced that you can choose to believe when there is a lack of evidence. It is irrational to do so, but people are not always rational.

(11-03-2016 10:07 AM)cactus Wrote:  I'm surprised we didn't spend more time discussing the nature of free will in a material universe. There's still time yet. Popcorn

I choose to believe there is no free will.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-03-2016, 10:56 AM
(11-03-2016 10:14 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I choose to believe there is no free will. Drinking Beverage
I am predestined to believe that there is free will Drinking BeverageDrinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
11-03-2016, 11:14 AM
(11-03-2016 10:56 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 10:14 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I choose to believe there is no free will. Drinking Beverage
I am predestined to believe that there is free will Drinking BeverageDrinking Beverage

I have chosen to believe in a predestination that allows me to believe there is free will. Drinking BeverageDrinking BeverageDrinking Beverage

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post