Poll: Is "belief" a choice
Yes. Belief is a choice.
No. Belief is not a choice.
I dont know
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is "belief" a choice?...lets talk about that.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-03-2016, 01:02 PM
RE: Is "belief" a choice?...lets talk about that.
(10-03-2016 12:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Belief without evidence is pure opinion and guesswork, aka faith. So, in essence, you cannot truly believe anything without evidence. I stand by my answer.

If you came to me and said I have a purple insect in my fridge. At that very moment I can choose to believe you or not. I currently have no evidence to sway me. You COULD have one, how do I know? I am not so well-versed in the study of insects to know if one exists, so it's possible. I also have never seen a purple insect that I know of, so it could be you are full of shit. At that moment I have zero proof either way, so I have to choose to believe one or the other. It's choice, as they say in the Matrix.

You don't have to choose. But if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-03-2016, 01:02 PM
I think you can choose what you would like to believe and that you can then choose to avoid evidence to the contrary and seek out evidence that supports it.

I've heard many atheists talk about how they were happy as believers but when they decided to look at ALL the evidence and evaluate it as honestly as they could they could no longer hold on to their belief. They did not set out to stop believing and the thought that they might no longer believe was upsetting but they could not force themselves to continue. I think that's true of most beliefs -- you can choose what you take in for consideration but you can't choose how it affects the belief in the end.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
10-03-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure if anyone truly has a choice when it comes to emotions. Logic is a powerful thing but if someone truly "loves" Jesus can anyone stop them? How many times in your life have you known someone who was in love and you hated that person because they are abusive, cheating, lying, etc.? You know it's not good for them but try as you might you can't change their mind? At that point is it even their choice anymore or are they just a victim of their own feelings?

I did vote that it is a choice and it's because no matter how much you are emotionally invested in a belief new information or an epiphany can always break the spell. It's not easy, like a break up you can even grieve. I remember missing my nightly prayers to God when I became an atheist. Sometimes I still would but after awhile I stopped completely. But, as long as someone is always getting good things from their beliefs why change? They will build walls in their own mind, "Yes, evolution is probably real because of all the evidence but God loves me so much, I have to believe he created everything no matter what." I have yet to find a hard core Christian who doesn't have a strong emotional reason for believing. Try as they might to be logical and use science to back up their beliefs it all boils down to , "The sky daddy and his zombie kid love me, I gotta keep believing or else I suffer." It's sad but true, and yes I'm comparing God to an abusive husband which is exactly what he is.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
10-03-2016, 01:24 PM
(10-03-2016 01:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  But if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

I see what you did there.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
10-03-2016, 01:24 PM
You cannot choose to believe something once you have been convinced.

Choose that you believe gravity isnt real and you can step off a skyscraper and wont fall. Then step off. Do it? Can't? There ya go.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
10-03-2016, 01:42 PM
(10-03-2016 01:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 12:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Belief without evidence is pure opinion and guesswork, aka faith. So, in essence, you cannot truly believe anything without evidence. I stand by my answer.

If you came to me and said I have a purple insect in my fridge. At that very moment I can choose to believe you or not. I currently have no evidence to sway me. You COULD have one, how do I know? I am not so well-versed in the study of insects to know if one exists, so it's possible. I also have never seen a purple insect that I know of, so it could be you are full of shit. At that moment I have zero proof either way, so I have to choose to believe one or the other. It's choice, as they say in the Matrix.

You don't have to choose. But if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Thanks for that.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-03-2016, 01:47 PM
(10-03-2016 01:24 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You cannot choose to believe something once you have been convinced.

Choose that you believe gravity isnt real and you can step off a skyscraper and wont fall. Then step off. Do it? Can't? There ya go.

Well, when you say you can't, I think you mean that you can't just stop believing what you believe WITHOUT FURTHER EVIDENCE, but you obviously can eventually believe something else, otherwise almost none of us would be on this forum. I truly was convinced god existed at one point in my life, I don't anymore. Using your initial thought there, that's impossible. Clearly I don't believe god exists, but I used to believe that. This is why you have a choice. I was convinced my first girlfriend was being loyal to me, then I saw her sticking her tongue down another guy's throat. Guess what, I didn't believe she was loyal anymore.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-03-2016, 03:04 PM
(10-03-2016 01:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Is that a Rush reference? Nice.
10-03-2016, 03:09 PM
(10-03-2016 01:47 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 01:24 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You cannot choose to believe something once you have been convinced.

Well, when you say you can't, I think you mean that you can't just stop believing what you believe WITHOUT FURTHER EVIDENCE, but you obviously can eventually believe something else, otherwise almost none of us would be on this forum. I truly was convinced god existed at one point in my life, I don't anymore. Using your initial thought there, that's impossible. Clearly I don't believe god exists, but I used to believe that. This is why you have a choice. I was convinced my first girlfriend was being loyal to me, then I saw her sticking her tongue down another guy's throat. Guess what, I didn't believe she was loyal anymore.

I'm not saying you cant change your beliefs. But you cant just choose to do so, you have to be convinced. Hopefully I'm making sense. Lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
10-03-2016, 03:42 PM
(10-03-2016 03:09 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm not saying you cant change your beliefs. But you cant just choose to do so, you have to be convinced. Hopefully I'm making sense. Lol.

[Image: gwynnies.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post