Poll: Is "belief" a choice
Yes. Belief is a choice.
No. Belief is not a choice.
I dont know
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is "belief" a choice?...lets talk about that.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-03-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: Is "belief" a choice?...lets talk about that.
(10-03-2016 06:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 01:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You don't have to choose. But if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

I might not believe in "Freewill" but I do believe in Rush. Heart

Is it any wonder why I love you? Hug

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
10-03-2016, 07:43 PM
(10-03-2016 07:24 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 06:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The line quoted from Girly was a line from the Rush song Freewill.

And here I thought he was just quoting sartre... Drinking Beverage

well... nobody ever said that life was free.

Langston Hughes, 1938.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
10-03-2016, 07:51 PM
(10-03-2016 07:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 06:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The line quoted from Girly was a line from the Rush song Freewill.

I know. I'm a professional musician. Wink

I tend to see Rush as a result of the King Crimson LP Red. Released 1974. The year that ended the progressive rock era which began with Pet sounds and Sgt Pepper and In the court of the crimson king, and ended in 1974. After that everything was just a copy of what went before. Which is the reason Fripp ended KC. Prog had another short life from 1981 through 1984. It has since ceased to exist.

That's why I put in King Crimson. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-03-2016, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 07:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
So, I changed my mind.

You *can* chose to abandon reason, and see where that leads, if anywhere.
It might lead to "belief" in some religious tenets.

You don't really need it though, according to St. Paul. I doubt most people here would argue with this :

1 Corinthians 13 1-13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.
11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-03-2016, 07:58 PM
(10-03-2016 07:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So, I changed my mind.

You don't really need it though, according to St. Paul. I doubt most people here would argue with this :

1 Corinthians 13 1-13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Sounds like the gist of golden, silver, and platinum purveyors of The Word.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-03-2016, 08:12 PM

1 Corinthians 13 1-13

One of my favorite scriptures.
10-03-2016, 08:30 PM

1 Corinthians 13 1-13

My late MIL read this at my wedding.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-03-2016, 09:06 PM
(10-03-2016 08:12 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  One of my favorite scriptures.
Likewise; I memorized it as a teen and it had a lot of influence on me. Other than its closing argument elevating faith as a virtue, which I now vehemently disagree with, at least it has the sense to consider love more foundational ... something a lot of fundamentalists would do well to meditate on.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
10-03-2016, 09:25 PM
As a kid I thought I believed in the Christian god. That's what I was told I should do and it wasn't presented as being optional. As I began to have doubts I came to this - do I believe or was I told I believe. Over time I realized I didn't believe but was just doing as I was told to do. I was going through the motions because no ever told me had the option not to be a part of a religion. What I was taught to believe didn't make sense to me and still doesn't.

I could no more choose to go back to that belief than I could rev up my roto-tail and fly away.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-03-2016, 09:32 PM
(10-03-2016 07:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

I know. I'm a professional musician. Wink

I tend to see Rush as a result of the King Crimson LP Red. Released 1974. The year that ended the progressive rock era which began with Pet sounds and Sgt Pepper and In the court of the crimson king, and ended in 1974. After that everything was just a copy of what went before. Which is the reason Fripp ended KC. Prog had another short life from 1981 through 1984. It has since ceased to exist.

That's why I put in King Crimson. Smile

I actually know a good deal about KC. Smile
I've got a few albums in my basement too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post