Is belief in God morally wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Is belief in God morally wrong?
To believe in God is basically a rejection of our humanity. We accept on face that we are damaged goods and God must balance our flaws. Imperfection is a negative human trait and the ideal is the perfect which is impossible. Only God is perfect. The only true aspiration of human existence is to gain the acceptance of the perfect God.

Instead of pressing forward with human solutions to human problems we see our efforts as insignificant and ourselves as incapable of solving our problems. God knows what is best for us, not us. We only solve problems through God’s power and guidance. Without God we would not even exist. We thank God for the food we eat, although we produced it. We give thanks for God’s healing though we developed modern medical procedures. Humility is a virtue as we acknowledge all goodness belongs to God. We are nothing.

The human experience is irrelevant. It is God who deserves all the credit for the human experiences and only through him can we understand it. God’s plan is the one we must follow as human plans are flawed, shallow, worthless and foolish. God is in control of all things.

We are not capable of defining or understanding what is moral and just. God is the arbiter of all that is moral and we are to blindly follow the teachings of his profits.

The essence of being human is in God’s plan for us. We are nothing more than pieces of furniture, designed for an end in mind, to worship God. The more flawed pieces of furniture are thrown to the fire.

Yes, believing in God is morally wrong and I reject all of the above.

The essence of being human is not defined for us. We decide what our lives mean. Our humanity is our gift to each other. We are not just flawed machines; rather our imperfections make us strong. We are inventive, creative, passionate and worthy of our accomplishments.

We are human beings and we need put no false Gods before us.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Thomas's post
03-03-2012, 10:01 PM
RE: Is belief in God morally wrong?
Dude.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
03-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Nope.. God is the alpha and omega the beginning and the end and everything in between, God made us how we are and have a plan for us, and wants a relationship with us to make us whole, and live a abundant full life, full of blessings, hes our father, and as a father gives and protects so will he
04-03-2012, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 03:10 PM by Mr Woof.)
In particular I see the beliefs in god emanating from masses of diverse religious doctrine as highly egotistical and morally wrong.

Humans , through their fears, fantasies and frailties, througout the ages have devised ways to allay these weaknesses as well as to profit from them.
To use a non Christian example, one of the oldest religions, Hinduism, which was established in the Indus Valley when conquered by Aryans, utilized a plethora of gods both in order to establish social conformity, and power to the elites..
This occurred over a thousand years B.C. This has nothing essentially to do with a Universal God ( or in their case many gods) but everything to do with control.

Hinduism, with its reincarnation and Karma doctrines, still today, teaches that the lower classes (Dalits) are born to their garbage tip lifestyles because of bad Karma created in previous lives. Conversely the high caste Brahmins are seen as reaping the rewards for previous good lives.

It is not difficult to find analogies in Christianity, in terms of its business enterprises, largely based on fear, tele-evengalists, pie in the sky fear campaigns etc stemming from superstition, priests, profit and pseudo knowledge.

We have no practical evidence relating to higher beings, little green men, aliens, or god like creatures, so like you, I see belief in any hard line sense, and the repurcussions from such as morally wrong. Dodgy
04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
(03-03-2012 09:58 PM)Thomas Wrote:  To believe in God is basically a rejection of our humanity... We only solve problems through God’s power and guidance. Without God we would not even exist... It is God who deserves all the credit for the human experiences and only through him can we understand it.

Not once in your post did you define "morally wrong", which is kind of important in making a decision about whether your evidence is relevant. In my own definition of morality (working towards the least amount of harm and suffering, and working towards universal happiness) none of these things fit... for instance, why would a rejection of our humanity translate to bad morals? It doesn't, according to my personal definition.

We atheists are all aware of ways in which a belief in God can cause you to act immorally (such as discrimination against gays) but I don't see how the belief itself could be immoral... or in fact how any personal belief could cause harm to another person. Only in acting upon those beliefs could you then be immoral.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't have a problem with someone being religious if it makes them happy. I do have a problem with it being put on children with the lies being told that they will burn in hell if they don't believe or are "sinners". But sense you can't have religious people not tell their children about religion its and endless circle and yes I find religion morally wrong.
04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
(04-03-2012 12:54 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 09:58 PM)Thomas Wrote:  To believe in God is basically a rejection of our humanity... We only solve problems through God’s power and guidance. Without God we would not even exist... It is God who deserves all the credit for the human experiences and only through him can we understand it.

Not once in your post did you define "morally wrong", which is kind of important in making a decision about whether your evidence is relevant. In my own definition of morality (working towards the least amount of harm and suffering, and working towards universal happiness) none of these things fit... for instance, why would a rejection of our humanity translate to bad morals? It doesn't, according to my personal definition.

We atheists are all aware of ways in which a belief in God can cause you to act immorally (such as discrimination against gays) but I don't see how the belief itself could be immoral... or in fact how any personal belief could cause harm to another person. Only in acting upon those beliefs could you then be immoral.

I would define Utilitarianism morally wrong, which is the ethical position you propose. “The greatest good for the greatest number”. You have basically made the argument for slavery being morally right if only a small minority is enslaved and the overall majority benefits. But, a dissertation on ethics I am not interested in.

The question is simply this: Is it immoral to throw away our humanity and all that we could accomplish waiting for a supposed perfect being to fix things in the after-life? This is a moral question. Screw the impoverished, let God take care of them after they die of starvation. What can we do? God is in charge. Do you see the moral problem now?

(03-03-2012 11:40 PM)bjgodsimage Wrote:  Nope.. God is the alpha and omega the beginning and the end and everything in between, God made us how we are and have a plan for us, and wants a relationship with us to make us whole, and live a abundant full life, full of blessings, hes our father, and as a father gives and protects so will he

Nope.. The Invisible Pink Unicorn is the alpha and the omega, and you can’t prove it’s not true, so I can believe it if I want.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
04-03-2012, 11:02 AM
(03-03-2012 11:40 PM)bjgodsimage Wrote:  and as a father gives and protects so will he

Yeah, right, religious people don't get cancer, don't have their houses destroyed by hurricanes, don't lose their children to diseases, don't starve to death etc etc.

Oh, right, he is just testing. Pretty rude ways to give a test, if you ask me.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Belief in God is not morally wrong. The actions taken in the name of the God may be. While it would be better for us all if people didn't delude themselves and others, I have no issue with belief that does not result in others being coerced, killed or otherwise marginalized.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
(04-03-2012 11:02 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Belief in God is not morally wrong. The actions taken in the name of the God may be. While it would be better for us all if people didn't delude themselves and others, I have no issue with belief that does not result in others being coerced, killed or otherwise marginalized.

You would agree then that building a $60 million mega church is ok as it is a monument to God and provides a place for thousands to worship. It's their money right? I’m not taking a cheap shot at the parishioners here. I will never tell someone what they ought to do with their money, but what if religion did not exist. What it they all had a completely humanist view of charity. Would they make a different decision with their spare cash? This is the point that I would like to drive home. Religion steals our humanity and diverts our efforts toward a useless pursuit of paying respect (and money) to a false belief. We have good, decent people believing that they are doing the right thing in worshiping a God with their finances.

Some will say that churches do a great job at charity. Sure some do, with what is left over. They do not open their large buildings to the homeless, but will donate to or even fully operate a homeless shelter miles away from their mega church. Again, not throwing the well meaning parishioners under the bus, but they believe that they are doing the right thing. They pay their money to God firsts, then the needy humans. That’s what God wants. They put God’s house in order first to take care of God’s business, souls. The needy humans with what’s left over. God is the immoral actor here, or the belief in God. Belief in God therefore is morally wrong.

[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post