Is belief in the unseen irrational?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2016, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 09:25 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
RE: Is belief in the unseen irrational?
(20-03-2016 09:17 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 08:54 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  If everything in this world could someday be simulated for you to perceive it in the exact same way you do now, how would you know the difference if you were placed in that simulation?

Consider Um.. what?

if I'm 'Put in' something... I'll kind of notice the whole 'Putting in' action, no?

(20-03-2016 08:54 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  How do you know you aren't currently in said simulation right now?

Really? We're going off to 'The Matrix'/'Brain in a vat' side of philosophy?

(20-03-2016 08:54 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Is the fact that we currently have no such technology proof that it can never be done?

I'm pretty sure there's been lots of experimental pokes exactly at this kind of thinking.

I vaguely remember reading some where that our reality is 'Too analog' to be a simulation. Consider

(20-03-2016 08:54 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Do you think we are privileged to perceive what objective reality really is?

Consider

Nope... not grokking this.

(20-03-2016 08:54 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I don't believe I am that special, & it doesn't really bother me.

I wasn't posting about special. I was posting about how you could possibly function given your previous posts.

Again... HOW do you function given the posts in which you detail the supposed way you 'think'?
Should we deny a possible reality because we dislike it? Should we deny it because all evidence suggest otherwise?
Would you still notice being placed in a simulated reality it if it was done in the womb?

Some Theists don't like talking about a reality without god because they have personally experienced their supposed God's interaction with their everyday lives. To them God is like Gravity. Would you feel offended if I told you I see you in the same way you see them? I probably don't by the way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2016, 09:25 PM
(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  1. Muscle reflex in reference to instinctive movement.

But... they're.. what, who now? Blink

Your muscle reflexes don't really have anything to DO with your instinctive....

Unless your mixing terms/concept up? Consider

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  2. Can you now make cognitive/instinctive rationalization part of our conversation?

We're back to the problem of your 'vague' language and terminology not conveying your meanings through the medium of words into anything legible by the person on the other end of the screen.

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  3. I never said we do not retain what we learn through cognitive rationalization.

But (AGAIN) it has been explained to you that this is NOT how people's thinking actually works.

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I looked at the possibility that it is not that often used in our decision making process and the times that it is used our instincts, if opposed to it, will strongly attempt to interefere with the decision.

Okay.. please, offer up a link or something about 'Human instincts' and how long we retain them from birth etc.

But, again, I now think you're being really fuzzy with your terminology about what it is you're talking.

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  4. The article is the closest research I have found on the topic of rational decisions being made by the instinctive part of the brain.

No... I think you'll find it's being made by the 'subconscious' part of the brain/mind.

Your use of the words 'Reflex' and 'Rational' are the wrong terms for the ideas which you're putting them behind them.

Consider
20-03-2016, 09:30 PM
(20-03-2016 09:25 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  1. Muscle reflex in reference to instinctive movement.

But... they're.. what, who now? Blink

Your muscle reflexes don't really have anything to DO with your instinctive....

Unless your mixing terms/concept up? Consider

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  2. Can you now make cognitive/instinctive rationalization part of our conversation?

We're back to the problem of your 'vague' language and terminology not conveying your meanings through the medium of words into anything legible by the person on the other end of the screen.

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  3. I never said we do not retain what we learn through cognitive rationalization.

But (AGAIN) it has been explained to you that this is NOT how people's thinking actually works.

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I looked at the possibility that it is not that often used in our decision making process and the times that it is used our instincts, if opposed to it, will strongly attempt to interefere with the decision.

Okay.. please, offer up a link or something about 'Human instincts' and how long we retain them from birth etc.

But, again, I now think you're being really fuzzy with your terminology about what it is you're talking.

(20-03-2016 08:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  4. The article is the closest research I have found on the topic of rational decisions being made by the instinctive part of the brain.

No... I think you'll find it's being made by the 'subconscious' part of the brain/mind.

Your use of the words 'Reflex' and 'Rational' are the wrong terms for the ideas which you're putting them behind them.

Consider
You said "Your muscle reflexes don't really have anything to DO with your instinctive...."

I may have been misled by this article then:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/instinctive+reflex

You are beginning to overwhelm me with too many points. Some are relevant and some are not so much.
Can we deal with the above point first before we continue.
I am starting to lose interest, no fault of your own.
20-03-2016, 09:30 PM
(20-03-2016 09:19 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Should we deny a possible reality because we dislike it? Should we deny it because all evidence suggest otherwise?

Dafaq? Blink

(20-03-2016 09:19 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Would you still notice being placed in a simulated reality it if it was done in the womb?

So... again, we're off to 'Brain in a vat' land?

To which i replied there have been studies done which tend to say that our reality is too 'Analog' to be a simulation.

(20-03-2016 09:19 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Some Theists don't like talking about a reality without god because they have personally experienced their supposed God's interaction with their everyday lives.

That's nice. What's happening within their minds is not really anything which comes cross to myself.. or others.

(20-03-2016 09:19 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  To them God is like Gravity.

Really? How do you know this? how did you come to make this statement? What tests did you carry out to offer up anything of veracity in making this statement? Consider

(20-03-2016 09:19 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Would you feel offended if I told you I see you in the same way you see them? I probably don't by the way.

THEN DON'T F Angry CKEN POST IT YOU TWAT!
20-03-2016, 09:32 PM
(20-03-2016 09:30 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I am starting to lose interest, no fault of your own.

Then it sucks to be you.

Stay with things and LEARN fer fek's sake.
20-03-2016, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 09:37 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(20-03-2016 09:32 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 09:30 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I am starting to lose interest, no fault of your own.

Then it sucks to be you.

Stay with things and LEARN fer fek's sake.
Peebothul I hope you don't mind but I will probably keep posting the following point after each of your replies until you decide to reply to it.
You said "Your muscle reflexes don't really have anything to DO with your instinctive...."
Please read this article.
How did you arrive at your conclusion?
20-03-2016, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 09:41 PM by Peebothuhul.)
(20-03-2016 09:33 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  You said "Your muscle reflexes don't really have anything to DO with your instinctive...."

No.. I didn't finish typing the sentence in the above post because it was becoming more and more unclear as to you actual point.

All the things in the above link have nothing to do with cognition.

They are nerve reflexes. Nothing to do with 'Neurons'.

You're all up with the differences between the two, right? Consider

Also?

FEK you!

You now INSIST people answer your certain points AND YET feel happy/free to ignore others posts/points at your whim?

FEK YOU!
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
20-03-2016, 09:46 PM
(20-03-2016 09:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 08:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Let me guess, your favourite film is, The Matrix, right?
My favorite film is Life. I can't stop watching it.
Did you get > . ?

[Image: Life-1999.jpg]

Really? I'll admit it had its moments, but...
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
20-03-2016, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 09:59 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(20-03-2016 09:37 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 09:33 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  You said "Your muscle reflexes don't really have anything to DO with your instinctive...."

No.. I didn't finish typing the sentence in the above post because it was becoming more and more unclear as to you actual point.

All the things in the above link have nothing to do with cognition.

They are nerve reflexes. Nothing to do with 'Neurons'.

You're all up with the differences between the two, right? Consider

Also?

FEK you!

You now INSIST people answer your certain points AND YET feel happy/free to ignore others at your whim?

FEK YOU!
As pointed out earlier you are shot gunning your points at me and I am still discussing them in chronological order.
There is a difference between blatantly ignoring all your points and tackling them one by one in chronological order.
The point above is where I am currently at in the discussion with you. My apologies, but I am not of the belief that vaguely listing a bunch of brief counter arguments in a single post is the proper way to discuss something.

I will ignore the fact that you continued to write additional text after your unfinished sentence and still left in the unfinished sentence. I will just assume that your shot gun misfired.

Can you point that thing away from me?

Concerning your point that "They are nerve reflexes. Nothing to do with 'Neurons'. "
This article shows that they have everything to do with neurons
http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/s...lexes.html

Are you sure you want to argue the topic of neurons, nerves & reflexes having no connections and belonging to a different part of the decision making process?
Your call. There is nothing wrong with stating that you made a mistake by the way. Just saying.
20-03-2016, 09:51 PM
(20-03-2016 09:46 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 09:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My favorite film is Life. I can't stop watching it.
Did you get > . ?

[Image: Life-1999.jpg]

Really? I'll admit it had its moments, but...
I think I'll go watch it again then.