Is belief in the unseen irrational?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 07:18 AM
RE: Is belief in the unseen irrational?
Let's bring some sense to this idiotic thread with the aptly named "So what".

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
23-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Maybe it's the artist in me, but I keep wanting to ask, which blue, Shane? Royal, navy, amethyst, azure, cerulean, oxford, sapphire, periwinkle, certain Pantone... I mean, they're still all blue, but...
23-03-2016, 05:23 PM
(22-03-2016 03:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  It's more than obvious that Shane has no real understanding of the propagation and/or perception of the electromagnetic radiation we call visible light. The endless nonsense about the colour blue being subjective or objective or whatever proves this. And he certainly confirms the old adage that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". In spades. Big Grin
All colors are subject to perception. This is why I say they are subjective.
It's in the definition I posted from wiki.

This is all I'm saying. I'm not arguing that colors don't exist, I'm simply saying that they are subjective in nature and therefore not an objectively true thing.

If you are arguing on behalf of colors being objectively true then I will object.
If you are not arguing that colors are objectively true then I cannot argue back.
23-03-2016, 05:31 PM
(23-03-2016 02:21 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Maybe it's the artist in me, but I keep wanting to ask, which blue, Shane? Royal, navy, amethyst, azure, cerulean, oxford, sapphire, periwinkle, certain Pantone... I mean, they're still all blue, but...
If you asked that you will destroy my question.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
23-03-2016, 05:35 PM
(23-03-2016 05:23 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  All colors are subject to perception. This is why I say they are subjective.

This is all I'm saying. I'm not arguing that colors don't exist, I'm simply saying that they are subjective in nature and therefore not an objectively true thing.

If you are arguing on behalf of colors being objectively true then I will object.
If you are not arguing that colors are objectively true then I cannot argue back.

The Problem of Color has been around for a long time.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-03-2016, 05:37 PM
(23-03-2016 05:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:23 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  All colors are subject to perception. This is why I say they are subjective.

The Problem of Color has been around for a long time.
Yeah but it's starting to get boring. I need a more interesting problem to talk about.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
23-03-2016, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 05:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-03-2016 05:37 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Problem of Color has been around for a long time.
Yeah but it's starting to get boring. I need a more interesting problem to talk about.

Fair enough. I am currently trying to rank order a variety of classifiers based on data I acquire through the Myo to capture gestures. Should I prefer 10-fold cross validation or leave-one-out? And why?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-03-2016, 05:56 PM
(23-03-2016 05:37 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Problem of Color has been around for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_un...philosophy

here you go, knock yourself out

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
23-03-2016, 06:02 PM
(23-03-2016 05:56 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:37 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Yeah but it's starting to get boring. I need a more interesting problem to talk about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_un...philosophy

here you go, knock yourself out
They are all old. I'm looking for new ones.
23-03-2016, 06:05 PM
(23-03-2016 05:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:37 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Yeah but it's starting to get boring. I need a more interesting problem to talk about.

Fair enough. I am currently trying to rank order a variety of classifiers based on data I acquire through the Myo to capture gestures. Should I prefer 10-fold cross validation or leave-one-out? And why?
Not enough room for "mental masturbation" to be worth my time.