Is belief in the unseen irrational?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 06:06 PM
RE: Is belief in the unseen irrational?
(23-03-2016 06:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:56 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_un...philosophy

here you go, knock yourself out
They are all old. I'm looking for new ones.

Only so many things man can make up I suppose to circle jerk around the campfire about. Make something up and convince yourself you are right, or wrong. Figure out if a deaf bear farts in the woods, and no one hears it, did it really happen? Ponder sentience. Have fun.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2016, 06:21 PM
(23-03-2016 06:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:56 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_un...philosophy

here you go, knock yourself out
They are all old. I'm looking for new ones.

You know, I spent something like five minutes staring at this comment, wondering which joke would be the best response.

I gave up when I realized that no joke I am capable of making could possibly top the post itself.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
23-03-2016, 06:22 PM
(23-03-2016 06:06 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 06:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  They are all old. I'm looking for new ones.

Only so many things man can make up I suppose to circle jerk around the campfire about. Make something up and convince yourself you are right, or wrong. Figure out if a deaf bear farts in the woods, and no one hears it, did it really happen? Ponder sentience. Have fun.
Good ones, but I need fellow circle jerkers for this to happen. I don't think I will find many based on those topics.
23-03-2016, 06:22 PM
(23-03-2016 06:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 06:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  They are all old. I'm looking for new ones.

You know, I spent something like five minutes staring at this comment, wondering which joke would be the best response.

I gave up when I realized that no joke I am capable of making could possibly top the post itself.
Glad I can make you laugh. You seem so angry all the time..
23-03-2016, 06:29 PM
(23-03-2016 06:05 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fair enough. I am currently trying to rank order a variety of classifiers based on data I acquire through the Myo to capture gestures. Should I prefer 10-fold cross validation or leave-one-out? And why?
Not enough room for "mental masturbation" to be worth my time.

Yeah. We're trying to recognize gestures for C2 at the tactical level and deliver the squad/fire team leader commander's intent even in radio-silence or conditions of poor visibility or outside of line of sight. I agree that your mental masturbation is not worth the time.

#sigh
23-03-2016, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 07:01 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(23-03-2016 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 06:05 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Not enough room for "mental masturbation" to be worth my time.

Yeah. We're trying to recognize gestures for C2 at the tactical level and deliver the squad/fire team leader commander's intent even in radio-silence or conditions of poor visibility or outside of line of sight. I agree that your mental masturbation is not worth the time.
Have you considered particle spin's spookiness from a distance as a possible form of communication?
The passing of information would not be detected via radio waves nor any visual barriers known to man.
The intent part would probably need a helmet that is constantly scanning the leader's brain for changes in the parts of the brain that deals with the decision making process for both cognitive and instinctive rationalization.
The ones asking for the leaders decision on a subject matter would probably have to break radio silence and line of sight trajectory to communicate the question.
Use of codes via something as simple as the local environment's natural noises can be used as a means of communicating the questions incoherently to an unauthorized listener. The leader can have a device which translates these codes implanted into his helmet for visual reciprocation via the key codes built into the device.
It would have to be a simple yes or no type question so the scanner can tell if the brain is positively influenced by the question or not.
The simpler the question the easier it will be to determine the answer.

Simpler variations to the problem can be arrived at using the basic principles I described above. Just be imaginative while considering as many probable problems that may arise.

Alternative possibilities are my obsession so feel free to indicate any problems you may encounter and I will consider them, then get back to you with a solution.

Edit:
It may be possible to write a binary language using the direction of particle spin to properly reciprocate a detailed question into the helmet of the leader, thereby allowing both parties to communicate coherently & stealhily.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
23-03-2016, 07:02 PM
(19-03-2016 09:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Is belief in the unseen irrational?

Yes. Drinking Beverage (If you are asking if the unseen is a magic sky genie).
23-03-2016, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 07:08 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(23-03-2016 07:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 09:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Is belief in the unseen irrational?

Yes. Drinking Beverage (If you are asking if the unseen is a magic sky genie).
I'm asking about things you have never directly observed via your sensory perception.
Have you ever seen the pyramids of Egypt & do you believe they exist?
Is your belief rational?
Does your understanding of unseen require the assumption that the thing in question has already been observed by someone else?
23-03-2016, 07:10 PM
(23-03-2016 07:03 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yes. Drinking Beverage
Have you ever seen the pyramids & do you believe they exist?
Is your belief rational?

I edited it to add if you are asking re: a magic sky genie. Pyramids do exist, we can travel and see pyramids whenever we want to.

If your question is in relation to a magic sky genie, then it would be the same thing as my telling you that the statue of a gnome that I have in my garden comes to life at night and tends to my rose bushes. You haven't seen this occur. You ask me if you can see this gnome spring to life. I tell you cant because the gnome only comes to life when no one is looking. You must believe me because I have the best looking rose bushes on the block and I don't really have any gardening skills. What would you believe is true? What seems more logical? That I really do have a magic garden gnome or that I am not telling you the truth?
23-03-2016, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 07:22 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(23-03-2016 07:10 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:03 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Have you ever seen the pyramids & do you believe they exist?
Is your belief rational?

I edited it to add if you are asking re: a magic sky genie. Pyramids do exist, we can travel and see pyramids whenever we want to.

If your question is in relation to a magic sky genie, then it would be the same thing as my telling you that the statue of a gnome that I have in my garden comes to life at night and tends to my rose bushes. You haven't seen this occur. You ask me if you can see this gnome spring to life. I tell you cant because the gnome only comes to life when no one is looking. You must believe me because I have the best looking rose bushes on the block and I don't really have any gardening skills. What would you believe is true? What seems more logical? That I really do have a magic garden gnome or that I am not telling you the truth?
Does your understanding of unseen require the assumption that the thing in question has already been observed by someone else?
Isn't is what you are doing when you claim the pyramids of Egypt exist:
Using the belief that something already exists based on "your non sensory perception" to prove that it exists via "your sensory perception."

When the word seen and unseen are used who do you think it is referring to on both instances?
Are you being consistent?