Is belief in the unseen irrational?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 07:45 PM
RE: Is belief in the unseen irrational?
[Image: mfrance.gif]

Big Grin Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2016, 07:48 PM
(23-03-2016 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:28 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What about them?

Is a belief in the existence of the square root of -1 which can never be realized rational? Or not? It's explanatory convenient. Drinking Beverage
Rational is based on logic.
Logic is based on validity.
Validity is based on logic.
Logic is based on validity. Validity is based on logic.
To the power of infinity
Rational is based on circular logic, which makes it irational in the end.

I hate it when my interpretation puts me down this circular road. Can anyone help?
23-03-2016, 07:52 PM
(23-03-2016 07:48 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Is a belief in the existence of the square root of -1 which can never be realized rational? Or not? It's explanatory convenient. Drinking Beverage
Rational is based on logic.
To the power of infinity

I hate it when my interpretation puts me down this circular road. Can anyone help?

Not sure I can help since you fail to even mention the requirement that the premises are obvious, self-evident and indisputable. Unsound premises make further consideration masturbatory.

#sigh
23-03-2016, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 08:05 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(23-03-2016 07:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:48 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Rational is based on logic.
To the power of infinity

Not sure I can help since you fail to even mention the requirement that the premises are obvious, self-evident and indisputable. Unsound premises make further consideration masturbatory.
Oops sorry.

From Google:
Rational: based on or in accordance with reason or logic.
Logic: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
Validity: the quality of being logically or factually sound; soundness or cogency.

Sqrt -1 = infinite
Infinite = assumptional belief
Assumptional belief = irational
23-03-2016, 08:01 PM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-03-2016, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 08:14 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(23-03-2016 08:01 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

But that could just be an elaborate ploy to make you *think* France is a real place. Consider

I guess it can become a real place after you visit it. Blink

In that case Paris is a real city that is purported to be in France but according to agnostic Shane, while I know Paris is a real place because I've been there....I suppose the rest of the country might indeed be fake...except for the train route between there and Germany.

Would that make any place I've never visited a black hole -- a foggy area on the map until I visit it? Unsure

In that case Australia doesn't exist, because I've never been there. Tongue

It just shows how incredibly dumb this argument AS proposes and being plausible. Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-03-2016, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 08:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-03-2016 07:57 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  From Google:
Rational: based on or in accordance with reason or logic.
Logic: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
Validity: the quality of being logically or factually sound; soundness or cogency.

So what you have just done is post a response from a google search which conflates validity and soundness of an argument. Validity has to do with the rules of inference, soundness has to do with whether your premises are bullshit.

#sigh
23-03-2016, 08:15 PM
(23-03-2016 07:48 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Logic is based on validity.
To the power of infinity

What the hell are you on about? Do you understand what the term "validity" actually means, or is this another case of you not knowing the definitions of the terms you are attempting to use?

No. On second thought, don't answer that. I honestly don't care, because whether or not you think you understand what validity is, you are wrong.

For those who have never heard the term before, "valid" is a descriptor applied to any given logical argument whose conclusion must be true if its premises are true. Note that this does not mean that the premises or conclusion must actually be true; an argument may be valid but still incorrect, as such:

- All humans are robots.
- Unbeliever is human.
- Therefore, Unbeliever is a robot.

If each of the above premises were true, the conclusion would necessarily also be true. The argument is valid, but has failed to prove its conclusion because at least one premise is untrue. For those curious, an argument which is both valid and has demonstrably true premises - and therefore actually proves its conclusion - is referred to as "sound".

Validity is not "based on" logic. Validity is the central concept of logic. The only thing that it is "based on" is semantics, as it comes down to whether or not the premises and conclusion are defined in such a way that the latter must be true if the former are.

But then, if you recognized the importance of nailing down actual definitions for terms before attempting to use them, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
23-03-2016, 08:15 PM
(23-03-2016 08:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 08:01 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

But that could just be an elaborate ploy to make you *think* France is a real place. Consider

In that case Paris is a real city that is purported to be in France but according to agnostic Shane, while I know Paris is a real place because I've been there....I suppose the rest of the country might indeed be fake...except for the train route between there and Germany.

Would that make any place I've never visited a black hole -- a foggy area on the map until I visit it? Unsure

That would lead to a debate over "if consciousness supercedes perspective reality."
Would you like to have a go at it?
23-03-2016, 08:20 PM
(23-03-2016 08:15 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 08:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But that could just be an elaborate ploy to make you *think* France is a real place. Consider

That would lead to a debate over "if consciousness supercedes perspective reality."
Would you like to have a go at it?
of course. I can't count how many times I was reborn. I was Chuck Norris in my previous life. and you would not believe who I was in my many past lives.ThumbsupThumbsup

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post