Is cheese the most ancient non-foraged/non-hunted food?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Is cheese the most ancient non-foraged/non-hunted food?
I would think it would have to be, right?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2015, 10:02 AM
RE: Is cheese the most ancient non-foraged/non-hunted food?
unleaven bread goes back 30,000 years....

Don't know if cheese beats that....

But, all you'd need is a fire and you'd have a grilled cheese sandwich.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-05-2015, 10:06 AM
(22-05-2015 10:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  unleaven bread goes back 30,000 years....

Yeah, I read about them finding out about bread... but, I mean... I would think cheese is older than bread, though.

Bread had to be created not discovered like cheese.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-05-2015, 10:30 AM
The making of cheese is also a process not a discovery. Yogurt would have been a 'discovery' and it may have been what lead to the process of cheese making.

Don't know, really. But now I want either cheese or yogurt. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-05-2015, 10:38 AM
I would assume that cheese came about after the domestication of cows (or whatever that animal was called. I forget). I guess the question would be what was discovered first. Was it domestic crops or animals? Ive heard it said that crops came first but I'm not convinced.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
22-05-2015, 10:42 AM
I would think that as nomadic people began hearding & domesticating goats & sheep, those animals became the first 'food at hand'. Whatever products came from them would have required some processing.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-05-2015, 10:43 AM
(22-05-2015 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 10:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  unleaven bread goes back 30,000 years....

Yeah, I read about them finding out about bread... but, I mean... I would think cheese is older than bread, though.

I would actually think bread, or a type of bread is older. Cheese making requires more effort, animal husbandry -- which probably closely followed.

Bread/cracker-like bread, only requires a few things. Let it sit and wild yeast will spontaneously begin to cause it to rise.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-05-2015, 10:50 AM
(22-05-2015 10:38 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I would assume that cheese came about after the domestication of cows (or whatever that animal was called. I forget). I guess the question would be what was discovered first. Was it domestic crops or animals? Ive heard it said that crops came first but I'm not convinced.

Yes, but many "crops" also grew wild and didn't require cultivation until later. In the americas corn was wild, many wheat varieties also tend to grow wild.

Bread making is probably, now that I'm really thinking about it, a result of fermenting berries (any wild fruits) to make alcohol. Which was probably an accident at first, and done on purpose later.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Mmmmm. I had a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt and now, I'm nibbling on a hearty smoked Gouda. Shy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
22-05-2015, 11:02 AM
(22-05-2015 10:43 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, I read about them finding out about bread... but, I mean... I would think cheese is older than bread, though.

I would actually think bread, or a type of bread is older. Cheese making requires more effort, animal husbandry -- which probably closely followed.

Bread/cracker-like bread, only requires a few things. Let it sit and wild yeast will spontaneously begin to cause it to rise.

I think the first cheeses were almost certainly made accidentally. Poor milk storage practices and whatnot.