Is cheese the most ancient non-foraged/non-hunted food?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 12:25 PM
RE: Is cheese the most ancient non-foraged/non-hunted food?
(22-05-2015 12:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 11:26 AM)kim Wrote:  I would agree with Moms except, I was counting gathering wild seed & fruit as foraging.

So smoked gouda, yogurt and now a croissant? I'm jealous. Smile

Yes, this thread got me hunting & gathering in my kitchen ... food production, be damned. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
22-05-2015, 12:31 PM
My guess is wine.... people being people.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
22-05-2015, 12:32 PM
(22-05-2015 12:25 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 12:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So smoked gouda, yogurt and now a croissant? I'm jealous. Smile

Yes, this thread got me hunting & gathering in my kitchen ... food production, be damned. Wink

I have to do soft foods for a while. So I had some cottage cheese.

I'll probably do some yogurt later. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-05-2015, 12:33 PM
(22-05-2015 12:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  My guess is wine.... people being people.

Actually there's some odd evidence that beer/mead might be older. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-05-2015, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2015 01:01 PM by kim.)
Elephants love to get drunk! They can smell rotting and fermenting fruit for miles and will stop at nothing to get at it. It really does make them stagger around drunk!

It's best to keep a distance to observe though, they can also be mean drunks ... and they already don't care much for humans shooting them for their tusks. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Wow - I may have been partially duped by a partial myth! Elephants like the booze - in India, they are known to break into local liquor supplys and go on benders &pass out. But in the wild, it may not be the fruit that gets them goofy. It seems the bark of their favorite fruit tree has a beetle that produces a toxin. When they munch on the bark (and who doesn't?) the drunk is on.

They think that may be what's going on ... at least in this article. http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140528...take-drugs

Learn something new every day.
And yes I have a bottle of Amarula. Which I emptied very quickly after purchase. Dodgy

22-05-2015, 02:03 PM
(22-05-2015 11:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Does one hunt or forage for milk?

Consider

That's what I was going to ask. It seems this question oddly ignores that central element of cheese.

Speaking of Elephants and booze, one of, if not the first elephant brought to America was known for getting drunk. Basically because on the boattrip to bring it across, they fed the Elephant booze to save on their water.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
22-05-2015, 02:22 PM
(22-05-2015 10:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 10:38 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I would assume that cheese came about after the domestication of cows (or whatever that animal was called. I forget). I guess the question would be what was discovered first. Was it domestic crops or animals? Ive heard it said that crops came first but I'm not convinced.

Yes, but many "crops" also grew wild and didn't require cultivation until later. In the americas corn was wild, many wheat varieties also tend to grow wild.

Bread making is probably, now that I'm really thinking about it, a result of fermenting berries (any wild fruits) to make alcohol. Which was probably an accident at first, and done on purpose later.

Good point.
22-05-2015, 02:48 PM
(22-05-2015 11:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'll bet the guy who discovered cheese musta been a real wild mutha.....

"I think I'll go over and tug on that goat's tits, and put whatever comes out in a sheep's stomach and store it in this hole in the ground for a couple weeks.... The, I'll eat whatever comes out"....

Holy crap....

It's amazing humanity survived.....
Tug? I think they'd just watch how the baby goats got milk and did that. Tugging came later.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-05-2015, 07:09 PM
According to this article, Cheese was discovered when we created pottery and depleted the fields with our farming. It was the only way adults could consume dairy because they were all lactose intolerant.

Bread was discovered 30000 years ago and cheese about 8500.

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count
[+] 1 user Likes quoin's post