Is childbirth a reason to believe in god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2015, 06:32 PM
RE: Is childbirth a reason to believe in god?
Well I do remember ManlyGirl yelling "GOD DAMN YOU FATBOY! GOD DAMN YOU TO HELL!" like it was yesterday. She said pretty much the same thing through 4 deliveries.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-12-2015, 06:32 PM
"Down there between our legs, it's like an entertainment complex in the middle of a sewage system. Who designed that?"
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
09-12-2015, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 06:47 PM by Brian37.)
Would childbirth be a reason to believe in Allah? Would childbirth be a reason to believe in Vishnu? Would childbirth be a reason to believe in Osiris? No, appeal to emotion is all it is, no matter the god the person is arguing for.

It's funny, I just told a neighbor about my recent van accident where i left it in reverse when I got out of it, tried to get back in but it drug me in a loop, fortunately it was slow and finally popped a curb and it hit the bumper of a parked pickup. Nobody was hurt and nobody was in the pickup I hit. But his response "It makes you wonder"......And all I could think was "No I simply got lucky:,

http://www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/

50 to 60 million humans of all ages, including kids, die from everything on average per year. This argument from religion and god of the gaps answers and superstitions of any religion are not explanations as to why people die or survive or even are born. We are born not because of the divine, we are born merely because our parents had sex. This is simply just another appeal to emotion. It is his selection bias and sample rate error. This person is not taking into account the sperm and eggs that do nothing which far outnumber the babies that make it to term.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2015, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 09:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-12-2015 04:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

It's an obvious non sequitur ... perhaps not obvious to someone who wants to find an excuse for believing.

I wonder why Kim classified herself as an atheist ... one has to believe in a god to apportion blame to it. Right?

It's an unpleasant line of thinking but would Kim call herself an atheist again if her second child also died?

I think there might be some deficiency in her reasoning skills. It seems emotional rather than rational.

I think that would be a "sequitur". One baby followed the other. Just sayin'.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-12-2015, 07:07 PM
My mother was 4 days in labour with me. She never let me forget it.

I don't think it helped her believe in a god. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
09-12-2015, 07:14 PM
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!

and yes, the whole thing about becoming an atheist after her first born died, will be part of our conversation, I was just stuck on the childbirth part. It's a common reason people turn to god and start believing in him, either for the first time or the second, third, fourth... I appreciate all your thoughts, thanks again!
09-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Well, this person is obviously not any sort of an intellectual giant. So her atheism arose because of her own personal issue with suffering (which is not taking anything away from her because a baby dying has to be a horrible experience). However, if you had any of the slightest insight, you would see the whole world around you and understand that the suffering in this world makes no sense whatsoever for an all-merciful god. Then, the second baby is born and it "looks" just like the first one and like, hello, most babies look alike especially if they come from the same pool of genes. I mean this is the slimmest of threads of evidence. I think this is more like emotion controlling her reason (or lack thereof). Having babies is an emotional experience. I cried when both my girls were born, but neither birth made me believe in god.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
09-12-2015, 08:32 PM
(09-12-2015 06:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  "Down there between our legs, it's like an entertainment complex in the middle of a sewage system. Who designed that?"
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

It's obvious. God is a civil engineer.
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
09-12-2015, 08:34 PM
DLJ basically got it.

hypothetical: If my parent pushed my pregnant girlfriend down the stairs and because of that the child died, can I logically say, "I hate you, how could you do this. I'm so angry at you that I don't even think you exist any more!"

The answer is no. You can't claim to be angry at something you don't think exists. It doesn't make sense.

Maybe she started to believe her god wasn't all good. This Kim woman could play the antagonist in the next "God's not dead" movie.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
09-12-2015, 09:01 PM
As good a reason as any I suppose. Better than a grilled cheesus sandwich anyway.

'Murican Canadian