Is childbirth a reason to believe in god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: Is childbirth a reason to believe in god?
Q: Is childbirth a reason to believe in god?
A: No, not really. But she will believe it any way. There is nothing you can do or say to change her mind.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2015, 09:41 PM
(09-12-2015 09:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  Q: Is childbirth a reason to believe in god?
A: No, not really. But she will believe it any way. There is nothing you can do or say to change her mind.

There you go again with that reasoning not acknowledging reality that is, actually yes, things said and done for people can change their mind, even about belief in god. Demonstrable do frequently as well. It may take time, but that's apart of learning how to see through to what effects some actions can have when talking openly with people.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-12-2015, 10:20 PM
(09-12-2015 04:49 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  As for the babies looking alike.....
"All babies look like me. But then, I look like all babies." -- Winston Churchill

Sapere aude
[+] 3 users Like f stop's post
09-12-2015, 10:25 PM
(09-12-2015 09:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  Q: Is childbirth a reason to believe in god?

Kinda like you and the Book of Morons.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-12-2015, 11:15 PM
(09-12-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 04:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

It's an obvious non sequitur ... perhaps not obvious to someone who wants to find an excuse for believing.

I wonder why Kim classified herself as an atheist ... one has to believe in a god to apportion blame to it. Right?

It's an unpleasant line of thinking but would Kim call herself an atheist again if her second child also died?

I think there might be some deficiency in her reasoning skills. It seems emotional rather than rational.

I think that would be a "sequitur". One baby followed the other. Just sayin'.
Tongue

Non, non, non!

Hmmm ... oui.

Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Babies are the craziest possible reason to believe in God.

We have mammalian reproduction apparatus. Worse, because we became bipedal just before our brains (and thus our heads) started getting bigger, our hips "rotated" inward, compared to our ancestors (and our cousins, the chimps), meaning the birth canal got narrower. We thus developed neoteny (born somewhat premature) under strong evolutionary pressure, and have a high likelihood of problems during childbirth, including death of the mother, trying to push a watermelon out of a garden hose.

If God was real, and made that on purpose as some kind of "miracle", he'd be an asshole.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-12-2015, 06:18 AM
(09-12-2015 04:33 PM)lostinthought Wrote:  I need help getting my thoughts together for a conversation i'm going to have to have in a few days.

X is a friend of mine, a pastor, and fun to banter with. I admire his tenacity in that he never gives up trying to convert me. X recently introduced me to Kim, a lady that graduated out of the local faith based homeless shelter where he volunteers at. He wanted me to hear her story, her miracle story. I love listening to christians tell their stories, most especially "the moment" part. That moment in every christians story where they "just knew" it was god, that there is no other explanation for what happened, and thats when they became christians.

My problem with Kim's story, well, one of the problems, is the fact that she became a christian after she had a child. Three years prior, she'd had a child, and when it was just a few months old, it had died. At this point, Kim became an atheist, blaming god for the death, even though she was a believer before the child was born. Five years later, she became pregnant again, and had a child, and the child looked identical to the first child that had died. It was upon this recognition that she became a christian once again.

Can you help me form my thoughts on why childbirth is no reason to believe in god? I've searched and searched for articles dedicated to this topic, but I keep coming up empty handed.

Thanks.

This is frustrating, part of the reason many people are Christians is that they don't really want to know the reasons why things happen. God is a convenient and unthinking reason for just about everything. So if you are predisposed to believe in god, you will give him credit, for example:

Surviving a wreck- would it have been better to not have been in a wreck at all? Sure, but you stop thinking before that so you don't have to ponder such questions.

If you do ponder it, then you come up with ever complex excuses for why it's still evidence for god, this leads to some pretty idiotic rationalizations.

People really don't like the idea of things that happen for no reason or mundane reasons with no inherent purpose, the idea that you don't matter and that the universe gives zero regard for you or your loved ones is an uncomfortable one in which we constantly struggle with.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
10-12-2015, 09:34 AM
(09-12-2015 06:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  "Down there between our legs, it's like an entertainment complex in the middle of a sewage system. Who designed that?"
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ninja Turtles

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
10-12-2015, 10:05 AM
(09-12-2015 11:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Babies are the craziest possible reason to believe in God.

We have mammalian reproduction apparatus. Worse, because we became bipedal just before our brains (and thus our heads) started getting bigger, our hips "rotated" inward, compared to our ancestors (and our cousins, the chimps), meaning the birth canal got narrower. We thus developed neoteny (born somewhat premature) under strong evolutionary pressure, and have a high likelihood of problems during childbirth, including death of the mother, trying to push a watermelon out of a garden hose.

If God was real, and made that on purpose as some kind of "miracle", he'd be an asshole.

Wow that is officially the most interesting thing I've read this week.Thumbsup

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
10-12-2015, 10:51 AM
(09-12-2015 11:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Babies are the craziest possible reason to believe in God.

I was talking to my wife a few months ago about this very thing.

I then went into a question about what defines as a Miracle. Prior to modern hospitalization child birth would be a difficult event. So many complications can arise during the birthing process. Even with the technology, and medicain we have today there are still chances that something can go wrong. Still, baby's are born everyday. So if something is happening all the time is that still counted as a miracle?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post