Is civil engineering the lowest of the lowest when it comes to engineering?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Is civil engineering the lowest of the lowest when it comes to engineering?
I’m still a third year high school student and just yesterday, I have read a book about Geotechnical Engineering. There was a part there that talks about air lifting. I just want to know more about that because I was planning to take up a course in civil engineering. It’s just that the topic caught my attention. I was like interested to know more about the process of the air lifting technique. How is it done? And why is it used?
I know I have a lot of questions. It’s just that I’m curious and I really want to know. You understand that, right?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 12:30 AM
RE: Is civil engineering the lowest of the lowest when it comes to engineering?
No, software engineering is the lowest of the low. Wait. What's the question here?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-06-2013, 07:25 AM
My friend who just got his civil engineering ring better never hear you say that.
07-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Nah. One of my sisters is a civil engineer. Their big private firm is a great place to work. They're all involved in many charities, very diverse work force, the kids are often in the office, and they actually get along great in their big office, they're nicely compensated, they build mostly high-speed train systems, roads, bridges, or parts of those things. They get called in, a lot , to clean up and redesign the mistakes/blunders of others. I think mechanical engineers are in very high demand, in the US. You'd have a job BEFORE you graduate if you're in mechanical engineering. Just don't go to work for a government agency. They pay crap, and you're at the mercy of gvt bureaucrats.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
12-06-2013, 10:23 AM
(06-06-2013 10:26 PM)jacksonkulakowski4 Wrote:  I’m still a third year high school student and just yesterday, I have read a book about Geotechnical Engineering. There was a part there that talks about air lifting. I just want to know more about that because I was planning to take up a course in civil engineering. It’s just that the topic caught my attention. I was like interested to know more about the process of the air lifting technique. How is it done? And why is it used?
I know I have a lot of questions. It’s just that I’m curious and I really want to know. You understand that, right?

Not really that exciting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airlift_%28..._device%29

At least airlifting is. As far as engineering disciplines go, the best is in the eye of the beholder. I am a mechanical engineer and work in the aerospace industry. In terms of pay, civil engineers can be on the low end of the scale. The best paying engineering job (and you might like this because it is related to geotechnical engineering) is petroleum engineering as a reservoir engineer ie working for an oil company to determine the location of large petroleum deposits under the earth's surface. Starting pay out of school is $80,000 and quickly climbs to over $200,000 a year, depending on experience and seniority.

I also have to ask how this thread ended up in the conspiracy theory section?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
12-06-2013, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 06:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
No, that would be industrial engineering. Tongue

(07-06-2013 12:30 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  No, software engineering is the lowest of the low. Wait. What's the question here?

Ah, fuck off. I canz doz teh mathz. And I haz teh codez. Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-06-2013, 06:22 PM
One thing for sure about a career in civil engineering - there is a huge need for rebuilding the entire infrastructure in the US.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
13-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Girly, try hanging out in a safety course or a systems engineering course trying to make conversation with aeronautical engineers and the like Wink The pecking order will be clear enough.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-06-2013, 05:19 PM
(13-06-2013 06:33 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Girly, try hanging out in a safety course or a systems engineering course trying to make conversation with aeronautical engineers and the like Wink The pecking order will be clear enough.

Bah, instead of comparing peckers with them I'd compare paychecks. Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-06-2013, 05:21 PM
What about train engineers?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My