Is death not good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2013, 10:39 PM
RE: Is death not good?
My perception of death is not in any way linked to an afterlife, it's linked to the present.

Right now, death is bad, I want to stick around and see how things turn out.

But there will be a time in my life when death is good - this body is going to wear out one way or another and then it's best to get rid of it.

IMO death, when it comes down to it, is about the useability of your body, and whether there is pleasure to be had, or if it's all pain or a struggle.

So, to me, death has nothing at all to do with what may or may not happen afterwards, it's all about your body. When that vessel gives out, it's time to jump ship and abandon it.

P.S. I think this post just jumped to the OP. Dunno why. Sha Sha is the OP.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
16-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Is death not good?
Man does not die again after death. That means, man is
deathless in hereafter. So death is good.

Is death not good?
16-01-2013, 02:55 AM
Is cheese not good?

Man does not eat cheese after toast. That means, man is
cheeseless in the afternoon. So cheese is good.

Is cheese not good?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 6 users Like Phaedrus's post
16-01-2013, 03:05 AM
You're both very confusing.

Death is only (possibly) good if there is an afterlife that is certain to be better than this one. If the afterlife is worse, or non-existent, then death is not good. Since there is no evidence, none, zip, ZERO evidence of any kind of afterlife at all, then believing in one is contraindicated.

Consider this little variation on Pascal's Wager:

If there is a good afterlife, then death is a reward. You could die today and be rewarded, or tomorrow, or next year, or a century from now - no matter what, you will get that awesome reward. But if there is a bad afterlife or no afterlife, then this life, right here, is the best you're ever going to have. If you die today, or tomorrow, or next year, or a century from now, you have lost the best life you'll ever have.

Given these two alternatives, I believe the only rational thing to do is to make this life as amazingly wonderful as possible because it might be the only one you get but, if not, when you go on to an even better afterlife, you certainly won't regret your amazingly wonderful mortal life. The perfect win.

Anything else is a losing wager - you might win but you have to beat the odds.

Me, I'll take the sure thing.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
16-01-2013, 03:39 AM
(16-01-2013 02:24 AM)ShaSha1 Wrote:  Man does not die again after death. That means, man is

Is death not good?

That seems to be based on the assumption of an afterlife or a "hereafter". An assumption which has no evidence or defensible argument I will point out.

You see: nobody goes to an afterlife, or the hereafter, however you wish to phrase it. You are the electrical and chemical signals in your brain, they are you; your memories, your personality, your sense of self would all be impossible without those tiny signals. When death brings it scythe and outstretches it's hand to take you, and does so, all activity in your brain ceases; all the things that make you you cease, you stop existing at that point. Even if there is a supernatural realm, perhaps even with a deity which governs this hypothetical place, we humans cannot get there through death, at death the signals stop, we stop and our body becomes little more than a meat-sack for the parasites and bacteria to feast and breed upon.

The notion that "death is good" is just as silly and childish as the notion of an afterlife, death is a natural part of life, that is for sure, no matter how much we humans try to fight and delay and deny it, we must all go through the pain of losing a loved one. I will say, for some, death bring release, but for everybody else all it brings is misery.

Death is most certainly, most assuredly not good my friend. However, it is not to be feared either.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
16-01-2013, 04:13 AM
(16-01-2013 03:39 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 02:24 AM)ShaSha1 Wrote:  Man does not die again after death. That means, man is

Is death not good?
The notion that "death is good" is just as silly and childish as the notion of an afterlife, death is a natural part of life, that is for sure, no matter how much we humans try to fight and delay and deny it, we must all go through the pain of losing a loved one. I will say, for some, death bring release, but for everybody else all it brings is misery.

Death is most certainly, most assuredly not good my friend. However, it is not to be feared either.

As a Drishtantoist, to me death is nothing but alteration or change.
16-01-2013, 04:20 AM
Please, by all means, explain this change.
I'll narrow it down with two questions, you don't actually need to answer them directly, but they are curiosities.
  • What is being altered?
  • By what means does this change take place?

Also, why do you feel the need to say "As a drishtantoist"? It doesn't add weight to your hypothesis, nor does it incline me to respect it. In fact, in makes me more inclined to mock it.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
16-01-2013, 04:25 AM
I'll put it straight for you.

Death is both good and bad. It depends on the circumstance. For example:

"I just shot that terrorist in the head!"-Good

"That bus full of kids just exploded" -Bad

Generally speaking. Death isn't exactly the greatest thing seeing as how if I died I would miss the next Dead Space.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
16-01-2013, 04:37 AM
Man does not have chickenpox again after chickenpox.

That means, man is poxless after pox.

Is chickenpox not good?

Shasha1 Laughat

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Percepticon's post
16-01-2013, 04:43 AM

Is death not good?
If I grant you your random Drish-whatever-ist afterlife, what evidence will you advance that man does not die after death ? I mean, all you know is this life. Somehow you've decided that after death you'll go on 'living' in some way, and further, that dying *again* is out of the question. How did you reach these conclusions ? Heavy drug use, being hit with a brick, desperate hope ? Some combination of all three ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Somebody Could Probably Make A Good Buck Off Christians For This WindyCityJazz 6 121 17-07-2014 11:12 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  the cliche', "why do bad things happen to good people" Roger_the_alien 18 372 02-07-2014 11:06 AM
Last Post: docskeptic
  Sudanese Mother Sentenced to Death for Apostasy and Adultery Michael_Tadlock 8 169 27-06-2014 05:17 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Just a good quote I liked smileXsmileXsmile 7 162 14-06-2014 11:46 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  "Why Do I Need Religion To Be A Good Person?" Answer: You Don't Compassion4Life 15 374 13-06-2014 02:47 AM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  A good read. richardfoleyrfi 4 108 30-05-2014 07:54 AM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Two good things religion gave us SpaceMonkey 69 1,452 22-05-2014 12:53 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills