Is death not good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2013, 04:49 AM
RE: Is death not good?
I already asked.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwx5eXAhAmhQlpT29o4pO...Qb3daLaLYl]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2013, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2013 04:42 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-01-2013 10:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  My perception of death is not in any way linked to an afterlife, it's linked to the present.

Right now, death is bad, I want to stick around and see how things turn out.

But there will be a time in my life when death is good - this body is going to wear out one way or another and then it's best to get rid of it.

IMO death, when it comes down to it, is about the useability of your body, and whether there is pleasure to be had, or if it's all pain or a struggle.

So, to me, death has nothing at all to do with what may or may not happen afterwards, it's all about your body. When that vessel gives out, it's time to jump ship and abandon it.

P.S. I think this post just jumped to the OP. Dunno why. Sha Sha is the OP.
Your point is well taken. I've seen a lot of deaths in the hospitals where I've been. . In some cases people cling to life, but the older people who are ready, WANT to have it done with. I think there is a "completion" thing that kicks in, when one is fairly old. I may be wrong, but I've seen some who are definitely ready to go. Of course no one would want to live forever, as cancer would be inevitable, as well as dementia.
And Sha sha, there is no "change". When your brain dies, and de-sats of oxygen, you are no longer conscious, and that's it. You are you ONLY because of your brain chemistry. Sorry. That's the way it is.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-01-2013, 07:00 AM
(16-01-2013 06:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 10:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  My perception of death is not in any way linked to an afterlife, it's linked to the present.

But there will be a time in my life when death is good - this body is going to wear out one way or another and then it's best to get rid of it.

IMO death, when it comes down to it, is about the useability of your body, and whether there is pleasure to be had, or if it's all pain or a struggle.

So, to me, death has nothing at all to do with what may or may not happen afterwards, it's all about your body. When that vessel gives out, it's time to jump ship and abandon it.

Your point is well taken. I've seen a lot of deaths in the hospitals where I've been. . In some cases people cling to life, but the older people who are ready, WANT to have it done with. I think there is a "completion" thing that kicks in, when one is fairly old. I may be wrong, but I've seen some who are definitely ready to go. Of course no one would want to life forever, as cancer would be inevitable, as well as dementia.
And Sha sha, there is no "change". When your brain dies, and de-sats of oxygen, you are no longer conscious, and that's it. You are you ONLY because of your brain chemistry. Sorry. That's the way it is.

Exactly. And not just the old, people get sick and tired of being sick and tired. When your mind is unable to do anything but put out fires in your body, when you can't follow a train of thought because you keep being interrupted by pain, when all your attention is needed to get out of bed and to the bathroom and back because your limbs don't want to do as you tell them, you get tired of it soon enough.

In other words, if your mind is not able to experience pleasure or even concentrate because your body keeps interrupting, life has become too cumbersome. Our bodies are quite miraculous, but they wear out and unless you get run over by a Mac truck when you are young, you can't escape that. To me, THAT is the scary part, not death. At that point, death is just relief.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
16-01-2013, 09:12 AM
If you think life sucks, consider the alternative.
If it still sucks, consider the alternative.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
16-01-2013, 11:33 AM
[Image: 33481989.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
16-01-2013, 11:35 AM
"The dead know only one thing. It is better to be alive."
-Private Joker in Full Metal Jacket

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
16-01-2013, 11:59 AM

I agree with your rationale and I'll go one step further. Even if I didn't age and could remain healthy forever, there would come a day when I would welcome death. Consider the alternative: remaining alive here on earth with everyone else remaining here as well. First, there would be time to explore virtually every nook and cranny of the earth many times over because time would never run out. Eventually, I would just be completely bored. Second, there would be no end to population growth so ultimately the earth would become overcrowded and would be uncomfortable to live on. For both of those reasons, I would not want to exist without eventual death.

That said, I wouldn't mind living a lot longer than today's average life span. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
17-01-2013, 12:04 AM
(16-01-2013 07:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 06:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your point is well taken. I've seen a lot of deaths in the hospitals where I've been. . In some cases people cling to life, but the older people who are ready, WANT to have it done with. I think there is a "completion" thing that kicks in, when one is fairly old. I may be wrong, but I've seen some who are definitely ready to go. Of course no one would want to life forever, as cancer would be inevitable, as well as dementia.

Exactly. And not just the old, people get sick and tired of being sick and tired. When your mind is unable to do anything but put out fires in your body, when you can't follow a train of thought because you keep being interrupted by pain, when all your attention is needed to get out of bed and to the bathroom and back because your limbs don't want to do as you tell them, you get tired of it soon enough.

In other words, if your mind is not able to experience pleasure or even concentrate because your body keeps interrupting, life has become too cumbersome. Our bodies are quite miraculous, but they wear out and unless you get run over by a Mac truck when you are young, you can't escape that. To me, THAT is the scary part, not death. At that point, death is just relief.

I agree. I think death often comes as a relief.
[+] 1 user Likes JDS's post