Is free will a choice to be human?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
RE: Is free will a choice to be human?
(12-06-2016 03:04 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 02:14 PM)kim Wrote:  To catch up to what, the 13th century? Blink

I wouldn't judge it before I read it.

Laughat After all your raving against them you pick a Neoplatonic/Aristotelean who is stuffed with religion?

Try Daniel Dennett instead.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
12-06-2016, 03:54 PM
(12-06-2016 03:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 03:04 PM)carusmm Wrote:  I wouldn't judge it before I read it.

Laughat After all your raving against them you pick a Neoplatonic/Aristotelean who is stuffed with religion?

Why would I read the work of a fanatic?
12-06-2016, 05:58 PM
(12-06-2016 03:54 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 03:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Laughat After all your raving against them you pick a Neoplatonic/Aristotelean who is stuffed with religion?

Why would I read the work of a fanatic?

A fanatic?!? Are you sure you know what that word means? What exactly makes Dennett a fanatic?

Personally I'd be much more concerned about a toady of the Medicis who blathered on about religion and magic and conflated human virtues with the choirs of angels. Never trust a philosopher who subscribes to magical thinking.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
12-06-2016, 06:20 PM
(12-06-2016 05:58 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 03:54 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Why would I read the work of a fanatic?

A fanatic?!? Are you sure you know what that word means? What exactly makes Dennett a fanatic?

Personally I'd be much more concerned about a toady of the Medicis who blathered on about religion and magic and conflated human virtues with the choirs of angels. Never trust a philosopher who subscribes to magical thinking.

Maybe fanatic is not the right word, maybe c**t is.
12-06-2016, 06:31 PM
(12-06-2016 06:20 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Maybe fanatic is not the right word, maybe c**t is.

curt?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-06-2016, 06:37 PM
(12-06-2016 06:20 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 05:58 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  A fanatic?!? Are you sure you know what that word means? What exactly makes Dennett a fanatic?

Maybe fanatic is not the right word, maybe c**t is.

Well I can at least understand it if you simply don't like Dennett. No accounting for taste. I doubt you made many friends with the terms you used.

If you're going to ridicule religion try to be consistent though and not recommend devout philosophers. Next you'll be suggesting a gripping read by "Saint " Thomas Aquinas.

---
12-06-2016, 06:48 PM
(12-06-2016 06:37 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 06:20 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Maybe fanatic is not the right word, maybe c**t is.

Well I can at least understand it if you simply don't like Dennett. No accounting for taste. I doubt you made many friends with the terms you used.

If you're going to ridicule religion try to be consistent though and not recommend devout philosophers. Next you'll be suggesting a gripping read by "Saint " Thomas Aquinas.

I have never read Aquinas personally but I have heard that he spent most of his time trying to fill in the giant hole in Christianity. (Read Bertrand Russell's "A History of Western Philosophy" for more.)
12-06-2016, 07:06 PM
(12-06-2016 03:04 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 02:14 PM)kim Wrote:  To catch up to what, the 13th century? Blink

I wouldn't judge it before I read it.

So, you assume that I have not read the 900 yet, you also presume that I am judging something?

Gee wizzard, you sure know whole bunches of stuffs that no one else could never, ever know and stuff. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Science has proven human decisions are made before we are conscious of them. Doesn't fare too well for free will I guess.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-06-2016, 07:25 PM
(12-06-2016 06:48 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 06:37 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Well I can at least understand it if you simply don't like Dennett. No accounting for taste. I doubt you made many friends with the terms you used.

I have never read Aquinas personally but I have heard that he spent most of his time trying to fill in the giant hole in Christianity. (Read Bertrand Russell's "A History of Western Philosophy" for more.)

Aquinas' Summa Theologica is about as dull as it gets. There are phone books that are a better read. He's a raging mysogynist and, as you might guess by the refutation of his Five Ways, Christianity still has a hole that desperately needs filling.

---