Is free will a choice to be human?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 05:42 AM
RE: Is free will a choice to be human?
(12-06-2016 07:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Science has proven human decisions are made before we are conscious of them. Doesn't fare too well for free will I guess.

I'm not clear that it is evidence against free will. It shows that we don't have direct access to all of the decision making processes and seems to imply that we create an illusion that our conscious self made the decision when it was actually made at a lower level and just passed up the line. Do the experiments address what actually IS making the decision?

Note that I'm not an advocate of free will and don't see how it could actually exist; I just don't know that this experiment is evidence either way.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2016, 06:59 AM
(11-06-2016 08:38 AM)carusmm Wrote:  Free will is a choice to be human. We all have free will, just some people don't care to use it.

I think you have it . That is where free will resides in Humans, the choice to think or not. Man's rational faculty is the seat of free will and it is our fundamental characteristic.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
13-06-2016, 08:14 AM
(12-06-2016 09:51 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Free will is simply a choice between doing good or evil.

Actually is FAR FAR from being that simple. But thanks for the glimpse into your simple uneducated mind.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-06-2016, 08:17 AM
(13-06-2016 05:42 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 07:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Science has proven human decisions are made before we are conscious of them. Doesn't fare too well for free will I guess.

I'm not clear that it is evidence against free will. It shows that we don't have direct access to all of the decision making processes and seems to imply that we create an illusion that our conscious self made the decision when it was actually made at a lower level and just passed up the line. Do the experiments address what actually IS making the decision?

Note that I'm not an advocate of free will and don't see how it could actually exist; I just don't know that this experiment is evidence either way.

I actually agree with that.
But it's not a simple "on-off" switch. It's a process. Humans can chose to LEARN how to make some choices.

The concept as we know it, in the West comes from Moral Theology. It is incorrect that there is a "moment" of choice were ALL the elements of the choice are present in consciousness ... therefore for religious purposed, it's debunked.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-06-2016, 12:27 PM
(12-06-2016 03:54 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 03:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Laughat After all your raving against them you pick a Neoplatonic/Aristotelean who is stuffed with religion?

Try Daniel Dennett instead.

Why would I read the work of a fanatic?

Apparently, willful ignorance is your chosen path. Good luck with that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-06-2016, 12:33 PM
(12-06-2016 12:59 AM)carusmm Wrote:  Go away, little man, you're an idiot.

Much LULZ... takes one to know one?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.