Is fundamentalism a mental disorder?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 05:39 PM
RE: Is fundamentalism a mental disorder?
(25-03-2013 04:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  Maybe if someone came up with some sort of a jerk repellent... Consider
They have. It's called self knowledge. Wink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 05:51 PM
(25-03-2013 01:51 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Fundamentalism is NOT a mental disorder.
Yes, it is, precious.
No, it's not. The stress mentioned comes from people's abject stubborn nature in rejecting everything moral, decent and lovely, including the Word of God.
Yes, it is a mental disease or defect, Gollum!
[Image: 5pRPohQ.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
25-03-2013, 06:39 PM
There are no mental-disorder-like issues in the same way that there are no snapped-femur-like issues.

A mental health disorder is a mental health disorder and NOTHING ELSE.

Things are not LIKE it. Things ARE it. Or they are NOT it.

If there is a correlation between fundamentalism and issues in psychosocial development, that is NOT a mental health disorder in the same way that punching someone in the mouth is not broken teeth.

If fundamentalism CONTRIBUTES to mental health issues like depression or OCD, I'd like to see the science on that. Furthermore, that doesn't make fundamentalism a mental health disorder it makes it a causational factor in the development of mental health issues. And that's IF there's a direct link.

OK. Brain atrophy. Great.

Can someone tell me how much? Is it significant? Is it a difference of 90% or 0.5%? Is the value significant? Is it a negligible difference? What are the actual ramifications? Is there anything WHATSOEVER that links fundamentalism --> brain atrophy --> mental health disorders?

The most important point? In what way is fundamentalism a mental health disorder? I would LOVE to hear the science on that one.... provided someone can find a SHRED of it.

Fundamentalism is not an addiction any more than drinking beer is alcoholism.

Note. A delusion or a break with reality is NOT the same thing as having a world view that is different than yours. That's a DANGEROUS idea. That they believe in God does NOT make them "crazy" (crazy being one of the most charged and meaningless words in the English language). If you think that the person speaking to you is Medusa and you behead him so his living snake hair doesn't turn you to stone, THAT is a break from reality and if anyone, ANYONE, says "what's the difference" don't expect to hear from me again as I will be lying unconscious in a pool of my own blood having bludgeoned myself into oblivion mashing my skull into a brick wall.

bbeljefe Wrote:...authoritarian parenting is the primary parenting style everywhere. So, the fundamentalist hits his child and yells at him "Obey me because god said so" and the atheist hits his child and yells at him "Obey me because I said so".

HOLY FUCK! REASON!

Thought it had disappeared off the face of the Earth.

darthbreezy Wrote:It has not been put on an axis in the DSM so, technically, it is not a mental disorder.

BOOM! HEADSHOT!

Hey, Kim.

........sigh......... No, you haven't offended me. Straight up. We cool. And thank you for your concern. Real talk. I'm just rilled. For me, comparing religion to mental health disorders is as fucked an idea as eugenics was. It takes hard science and twists it beyond recognition for some pretty nefarious ends. And while it does it, it mauls the understanding of and the faith in the science that it bastardises. It's just intensely frustrating and, ultimately, difficult to counter because the ideas aren't based in fact and reason, so rational arguments don't work very well.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
25-03-2013, 06:51 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
25-03-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm sticking to it.

Religious faith might or might not be a mental disorder, it might only be a symptom of one, or maybe not at all. Fine. But fundamentalism is. Fundies deliberately ignore reality, deliberately bury their heads in the sand any time a more rational person points out the flaws in their nonsensical delusion. They have lost the ability to distinguish between reality and illusion. That's a mental disorder in my book.

Christian fundamentalism is really very much about parental abuse. God is the father. He created all of us as sinners and will punish us forever for the sins that he caused us to have unless we bow and grovel and thank him at every sniveling turn. Why? Because that's all we deserve. These particular fundies are no better than an abused child who lives his or her whole life with zero self esteem, no sense of self-worth at all. Regardless of whether it's an abused child or a religious fundie, either way, that person has serious mental issues brought about by the abuse, real or perceived, and qualifies in my book as a person who needs professional help to resolve these mental issues.

Yes, it's a disorder.

Is it as bad as schizophrenia, for example? No, not usually, although a few of the milder symptoms of schizophrenia are identical to symptoms of fundamentalism. It's certainly not as bad as the obvious mental issues caused by birth defects, like severe autism for example.

But I would say that fundamentalism is at least as disruptive to someone's life as a few other mental disorders, such as bipolarism or aspergers or dislexia. Affects them in different ways, obviously, but maybe similar amount of impact, at least for milder cases of these disorders. I know, apples and oranges for the most part - it's hard to quantify such things.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Any other imaginary friend is a disorder, ergo...

Throw as many tantrums as you want, Ghost, you're still wrong. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
26-03-2013, 02:31 AM
(25-03-2013 05:39 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  It's called self knowledge. Wink
You don't say. I thought it was called "be a jerk yourself, too". And that one doesn't really agree with my constitution Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
26-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Hey, Asp.

Quote:Religious faith might or might not be a mental
disorder, it might only be a symptom of one, or
maybe not at all. Fine. But fundamentalism is.
Fundies deliberately ignore reality, deliberately bury
their heads in the sand any time a more rational
person points out the flaws in their nonsensical
delusion. They have lost the ability to distinguish
between reality and illusion. That's a mental
disorder in my book.

Do you really not see the staggering hypocrisy of that statement?

Please do not try to sell any copies of your book because the professionals will be cleaning up the mess for decades.

Hey, Cantor.

But how can I be wrong when your Gwynnies told me so?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-03-2013, 06:29 AM
(26-03-2013 05:55 AM)Ghost Wrote:  But how can I be wrong when your Gwynnies told me so?

ohnoyoudidn't! Ohmy

Tongue

There's indicators. Yet, on the one hand - sane/insane, wtf the dif - psychology is still kinda soft. On the other hand, religion is such a protected subject, a pro cannot come out and say - you guys are a bunch of fucking nutbags. Group think still holds the heights there, it's gonna be a gradual thingy. And mental illness is gonna hafta be no longer seen as evil. Like thusly - religion is disorder, but a good kind of disorder. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Re: RE: Is fundamentalism a mental disorder?
darthbreezy Wrote:  There are a ton of factors so I can't answer that definitively, but withholding worldly facts and sheltering children from a true education because it conflicts with religious beliefs is neglect at best, and using prayer instead of medicines and hospitals is abuse) and the propogating of bigoted beliefs that impact what are supposed to be secular governments...

My mom thought you could pray mental illness away. Actually, she didn't believe in it and thought I was possessed, so, I got the "demon" prayed out of me. That damaged me the most, I didn't get help for years and it spiraled out of control. And by years I mean 10+
[+] 1 user Likes fruit's post