Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2017, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2017 07:49 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?
Yabut, I like learning and discovering new stuff. It's part of enjoying life. Angel
How much more fun is life knowing we are in an expanding universe with billions of galaxies, possibly other universes, and all the quantum shit ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-08-2017, 07:12 AM
As far as I'm concerned, acquiring new knowledge is one of the great joys of life. I cannot live without my books, scholarly magazines and TV documentaries. Smartass
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-08-2017, 07:51 AM
I don't believe that any knowledge you acquire goes with you when you die. Knowledge, discoveries, science, etc. all gets passed down to the next generation, who then can then expand on it. Learning things, discovering things, as others have said, makes life fun. Many of the things you enjoy in every day life had to be discovered or created at some point by others. If we didn't try to expand our horizons through educational pursuits, we'd all be living in a cave somewhere, twiddling our thumbs, with a relatively low life expectancy.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
14-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Why trying desperately to enjoy your miserable short life? Its a waste of time, since it wont last. Most of the time the kosmos exists, you arent existing anyway.

Just kill yourself and get over with it, so the rest of the universe can go on. Drinking Beverage

*sarcasm OFF*

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
14-08-2017, 07:59 AM
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  Should our main focus and priority in life be to enjoy it?

There's so much things to learn and knowledge to gain if you decide to go down this path. It's normal to be curious about this or that and want to learn about it. Is it a waste of time if your learning just to acquire new knowledge.

What's the point of learning so much stuff since we're all going to die. It will all die with you when you die.

This just in: the printed word now allows us to record our knowledge to better pass it on to future generations. We are social creatures and we're all in this together. We benefit from the legacy of accumulated knowledge left to us by past generations. Many find satisfaction by becoming part of this generational linkage.

(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  Since we have a limited amount of time shouldn't we just focus on being happy and having fun and everything related to that.

Chasing happiness through the pursuit of 'having fun' is pointless. You will never be always and exclusively happy no matter what you pursue and no matter what you obtain. True happiness leads you to be content during life's low points. This requires understanding. Fulfillment can take different forms. If you would be happy you have to find out which form you're wired for.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
14-08-2017, 08:59 AM
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  Should our main focus and priority in life be to enjoy it?

There's so much things to learn and knowledge to gain if you decide to go down this path. It's normal to be curious about this or that and want to learn about it. Is it a waste of time if your learning just to acquire new knowledge.

What's the point of learning so much stuff since we're all going to die. It will all die with you when you die. Since we have a limited amount of time shouldn't we just focus on being happy and having fun and everything related to that.

I'm kinda just rambling. I felt I had to write about this because I've learned about different subjects and recently realized that it may just have been a big waste of time. I forgot that life is short and I shouldn't be wasting it.

Back in the day, I used to keep a dictionary in the bathroom. When sitting there bored, I'd grab it and open it anywhere. One thing would lead to another and an hour later I would realize I was still sitting on the pot.

So, that was learning, but obviously I had fun doing it, to the point of forgetting time and place.

Now, that I am nearing the other end of my life cycle, I get lost in Wikipedia. I am retired, and I am pretty much all about enjoying every moment of my life. Other than the general upkeep of my household, I can do with my time whatever I want. I happen to like plants and animals, I never get tired of watching them and interacting with them. So I do a lot of that, a lot of cooking, and I fool around online.

I have more useless knowledge about plants and animals than you can shake a stick at, I'll never be able to cook all the things I want to fool around with, and I have picked up more useless knowledge about a wide variety of things online than I know what to do with. But I am doing it because it's fun!

Besides, you couldn't stop learning if you tried. Your brain needs action. It absorbs stuff whether you want it or not. Might as well learn interesting stuff.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
14-08-2017, 09:18 AM
It's a waste of time if you're learning just "practical" stuff; knowledge it is own reward I don't have to have much applicability. Discounting forum I almost never use my knowledge of USSR or Shoah but just widening my understanding of above mentioned I find right and proper.

Also you don't get to dictate on what we should spend our time. Don't want to broaden your understanding? Your loss, I'm however will be making different choice.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-08-2017, 09:24 AM
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  What's the point of learning so much stuff since we're all going to die. It will all die with you when you die.

Because it is not about *you* the individual, it is about *us* the group, the species.

Also, we're a naturally curious bunch. Well, some more than others, apparently Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
14-08-2017, 10:18 AM

What's the point of learning so much stuff since we're all going to die. It will all die with you when you die. Since we have a limited amount of time shouldn't we just focus on being happy and having fun and everything related to that.

I'm kinda just rambling. I felt I had to write about this because I've learned about different subjects and recently realized that it may just have been a big waste of time. I forgot that life is short and I shouldn't be wasting it.

You could use the same argument to conclude that doing anything at all is a waste of time. Also, I enjoy learning things, whether or not they are "useful" -- so there's no need to make a choice. For me, learning and acquiring knowledge is being happy and having fun.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-08-2017, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2017 10:34 AM by Loom.)
Gaining knowledge directly improves our quality if life. Sorry but that seems like a silly question.

After all, if you never learned fire hurts to touch or good hygeine helps prevent sickness, you're going to have a bad time. And those are just simple things.

Learning sates our natural curiousity and can aid us tremendously in survival, especially in the society we've built. It helps us as individuals and as a whole species, and can be built upon by passing it down and teaching others.

Knowledge IS power.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post