Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2017, 11:31 AM
RE: Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?
Is being concerned about the fact that we're going to die a waste of time since we're all going to die?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
14-08-2017, 12:20 PM
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  Should our main focus and priority in life be to enjoy it?

There's so much things to learn and knowledge to gain if you decide to go down this path. It's normal to be curious about this or that and want to learn about it. Is it a waste of time if your learning just to acquire new knowledge.

What's the point of learning so much stuff since we're all going to die. It will all die with you when you die. Since we have a limited amount of time shouldn't we just focus on being happy and having fun and everything related to that.

I'm kinda just rambling. I felt I had to write about this because I've learned about different subjects and recently realized that it may just have been a big waste of time. I forgot that life is short and I shouldn't be wasting it.

If you're trying to get out of a math test, you need a more convincing excuse.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
14-08-2017, 01:19 PM
(14-08-2017 10:31 AM)Loom Wrote:  Gaining knowledge directly improves our quality if life.

Does it? I didn't noticed an improvement when I learned basics of Wallerstein world-systems theory. Getting to know finer details of Volhyn mass murder also didn't improve quality of my life.

I think it would be better to say that knowledge can directly improve or quality of life. That's however approach I don't appreciate as I value knowledge in itself, not for it possible benefits.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-08-2017, 02:05 PM
(14-08-2017 01:19 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 10:31 AM)Loom Wrote:  Gaining knowledge directly improves our quality if life.

Does it? I didn't noticed an improvement when I learned basics of Wallerstein world-systems theory. Getting to know finer details of Volhyn mass murder also didn't improve quality of my life.

I think it would be better to say that knowledge can directly improve or quality of life. That's however approach I don't appreciate as I value knowledge in itself, not for it possible benefits.

BUT despite that it doesn't immediately improve your life, you can see times when it might be relevant. In times like these, a person who's an expert on the third reich and events surrounding the Holocaust/shoah... that person might be handy to have around.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-08-2017, 02:15 PM
(14-08-2017 02:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 01:19 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Does it? I didn't noticed an improvement when I learned basics of Wallerstein world-systems theory. Getting to know finer details of Volhyn mass murder also didn't improve quality of my life.

BUT despite that it doesn't immediately improve your life, you can see times when it might be relevant.

It being relevant does not mean that it will improve my quality of life. I choose such examples to show how in my opinion Loom thesis fall short, but I would certainly agree if he were to say that knowledge can lead to improving one quality of life.

Quote: In times like these, a person who's an expert on the third reich and events surrounding the Holocaust/shoah... that person might be handy to have around.

Holocaust mean same thing as Shoah. It just have religious conotations, ones quite unfortunate as it is about burnt offerinf if I recall correctly. Shoah is more neutral.

Also forgive self-centeredness showing in assuming that you wrote about me but I'm no expert. Merely a layman with degree and few books read.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
14-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Without knowledge of the world, you will probably die earlier than later.

A fool never learns from his mistakes.
A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
14-08-2017, 02:28 PM
(14-08-2017 02:15 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Also forgive self-centeredness showing in assuming that you wrote about me but I'm no expert. Merely a layman with degree and few books read.

Laugh out load Don't be so modest. I've yet to see you fail when there is a discussion of shoah. Also thanks for the explanation. I knew they referred to the same thing, didn't realise that there was difference in meaning between the two words.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-08-2017, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2017 03:09 PM by Szuchow.)
(14-08-2017 02:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 02:15 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Also forgive self-centeredness showing in assuming that you wrote about me but I'm no expert. Merely a layman with degree and few books read.

Laugh out load Don't be so modest. I've yet to see you fail when there is a discussion of shoah. Also thanks for the explanation. I knew they referred to the same thing, didn't realise that there was difference in meaning between the two words.

My first thread about Holocaust was, well, maybe not disaster but also nothing to be proud of. However it's not that I deny my knowledge of Shoah, I just wouldn't call myself expert for I have strange suspicion that what I wrote isn't exactly unknown to people.

Edit: It's also possible that I see myself in worse light. Were I to do honest appraisal I would say that I aspire to have real wealth of knowledge and in time I may be able to quote Mephistophelrs and say "Omniscient I'm not, yet many things I know".

As for explanation no problem, though you may want to consult Internet for more detailed answer. Edit 2: Here's link to Yad Vashem take on this - http://www.yadvashem.org/yv/en/holocaust...ocaust.asp

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
15-08-2017, 03:21 AM
(14-08-2017 10:31 AM)Loom Wrote:  Gaining knowledge directly improves our quality if life. Sorry but that seems like a silly question.

After all, if you never learned fire hurts to touch or good hygeine helps prevent sickness, you're going to have a bad time. And those are just simple things.

Learning sates our natural curiousity and can aid us tremendously in survival, especially in the society we've built. It helps us as individuals and as a whole species, and can be built upon by passing it down and teaching others.

Knowledge IS power.

> And gaining of knowledge is what enables us to shuck off the ignorance and absurdity of religious beliefs, which is certainly a major improvement on the quality of life. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
15-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Suppose all our knowledge and learning end up being the human race beating death? Still, even if not, it's not a waste of time. Because even if we are around for around 70 years, we still can find personal benefit and worth while we are alive. Think about it like this, say I get a cheeseburger. Is it pointless to eat because the enjoyment of the cheeseburger will be gone after? Or because I'll be hungry later? Now you mention happiness and enjoying life as if it's inherently exclusive from learning new things. I agree with the sentiment we should enjoy life. This enjoyment can come in many forms. You don't have to consult the rest of the universe for a meaning to life or consult it to judge if something is pointless or not.
[+] 1 user Likes Sauron's post