Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2017, 04:17 PM
RE: Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?
(14-08-2017 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  What's the "use" of music?

It keeps rappers off the streets and out of trouble.

Well . . . OK, maybe not. Dodgy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2017, 04:51 PM
(14-08-2017 05:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Also one notable feature of knowledge is it often is useful later or in ways that people don't expect. An example that I can think of offhand is General Relativity. Firstly, general relativity itself makes use of Reimannian geometry which at the time it was developed was more or less just a thing that pure mathematicians were interested in. General relativity itself has myriad applications and areas where it is useful which weren't at all apparent at the time it was developed, not least of which are GPS, nuclear power etc.

Sounds like the sort of argument you hear against abortion, that you could be aborting the next Einstein.

Unless you profession involves knowledge of general relativity, the likelihood of it being unexpectedly useful is extremely low. You have better odds playing the lottery, or a fetus considered for abortion, being the next Einstein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
15-08-2017, 05:32 PM
(15-08-2017 04:51 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Sounds like the sort of argument you hear against abortion, that you could be aborting the next Einstein.

Unless you profession involves knowledge of general relativity, the likelihood of it being unexpectedly useful is extremely low. You have better odds playing the lottery, or a fetus considered for abortion, being the next Einstein.

And those, ladies and gents, have got to be some of the dumbest, most ignorant words ever uttered on this forum. Not in the least bit surprised whose excuse for a brain vomited them.

Take a bow, Tomasia, take a bow. And then, if you don't mind, take a hike. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-08-2017, 05:37 PM
(14-08-2017 06:08 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  What's the point of learning so much stuff since we're all going to die.

What is the alternative? Go through our seemingly meaningless existence dumb and unaware, essentially just doing enough to get by?

Hey! I don't judge your life decisions, don't judge mine!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-08-2017, 05:41 PM
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  Should our main focus and priority in life be to enjoy it?

There's so much things to learn and knowledge to gain if you decide to go down this path. It's normal to be curious about this or that and want to learn about it. Is it a waste of time if your learning just to acquire new knowledge.

What's the point of learning so much stuff since we're all going to die. It will all die with you when you die. Since we have a limited amount of time shouldn't we just focus on being happy and having fun and everything related to that.

I'm kinda just rambling. I felt I had to write about this because I've learned about different subjects and recently realized that it may just have been a big waste of time. I forgot that life is short and I shouldn't be wasting it.

This is just silly. If you are asking if it is possible for 7 billion humans to end up with say the brains of Hawking, no, that is not possible.

Human brains develop quite differently and some people process information differently than others. It is say why a doctor might know how to operate on you but has to take his BMW in to get his timing belt changed.

Certainly you can learn something new every day. I do, and at least in the west, I constantly learn new things especially with the age of the internet access to information is quite easy. But outside that, no, not everyone has to be a neurosurgeon, but everyone should have the basics in general understanding of overall concepts.

Just like you don't have to know how to melt metal for an engine block to build it to know how a combustion engine works. But yea, as far as government investing in things like science education and climate studies and cures for disease and the study of the universe, yea, we should, to me that is a far better path than investing in war.

The ride will end for all life on our planet someday billions of years from now, but of course while we are alive as a species we should care about what we leave to the next generation.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
15-08-2017, 07:41 PM
(15-08-2017 05:32 PM)Vera Wrote:  And those, ladies and gents, have got to be some of the dumbest, most ignorant words ever uttered on this forum. Not in the least bit surprised whose excuse for a brain vomited them.

Take a bow, Tomasia, take a bow. And then, if you don't mind, take a hike. Drinking Beverage

Having a bad day are we Vera?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-08-2017, 12:06 AM
(15-08-2017 04:51 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 05:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Also one notable feature of knowledge is it often is useful later or in ways that people don't expect. An example that I can think of offhand is General Relativity. Firstly, general relativity itself makes use of Reimannian geometry which at the time it was developed was more or less just a thing that pure mathematicians were interested in. General relativity itself has myriad applications and areas where it is useful which weren't at all apparent at the time it was developed, not least of which are GPS, nuclear power etc.

Sounds like the sort of argument you hear against abortion, that you could be aborting the next Einstein.

Knowledge does pay off even if it's not Einstein, that was just a well-known example that came to mind. Literally all of the modern world was constructed off people getting curious and playing around. Communications. Electronics. Ballistics - based off gravitational theory... Shipping, agriculture. Are you seriously trying to argue that the payoff is so low that it's not worth studying?

Jesus Tommy you're really reaching with your trolling these days.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-08-2017, 12:49 AM
(15-08-2017 07:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Having a bad day are we Vera?

Pretty good, actually.

But you keep protecting your fragile ego by telling yourself this. Hell, you can even blame it on "that time of the month" if it will help you sleep at night. No skin off my nose, your stupidity.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-08-2017, 03:35 AM
Important things to learn.

1. Pack lots of underwear.
2. Travel light. You will always pick up things while moving.
3. Be careful with knives.
4. They use oranges when making orange juice.

There's a couple of other important things, but I don't remember them.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
16-08-2017, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2017 04:54 AM by Tomasia.)
(16-08-2017 12:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  Knowledge does pay off even if it's not Einstein, that was just a well-known example that came to mind. Literally all of the modern world was constructed off people getting curious and playing around. Communications. Electronics. Ballistics - based off gravitational theory... Shipping, agriculture. Are you seriously trying to argue that the payoff is so low that it's not worth studying?

No, certain knowledge might payoff for some people but not others.

An astronomer might get paid off by acquiring greater knowledge of astronomy, me on the other hand not so much.

A gossip columnist might get paid off of knowledge of the latest celebrity scandal, me on the other hand not so much.

There are a variety of area of science in which I only posses a high school level understanding of, astronomy, physics, biochemistry, etc..... Theres no real pay off for me to further my knowledge of these areas. They’re not all that particularly interesting to me, and they offer next to no material gain from acquiring any further knowledge about.

Your argument seems to be that, that while there may be no foreseeable gain for acquiring this knowledge, that I should acquire it anyway on the off chance that I make some scientific breakthrough, get some unexpected material reward from it.

An arguement thats even less realistic, than suggesting that I should continue wasting my money on lottery tickets, on he off-chance that I hit the jackpot.

Quote:Tommy you're really reaching with your trolling these days.

If you’re feeling emotionally provoked or upset about about what I’ve said here, the problem is not me, it’s you.

A troll cares about getting an emotional rise out of you, me on the other hand, I don’t care how you feel. Your feelings are of no concern to me.

[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post