Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2017, 01:36 PM
RE: Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?
(24-08-2017 01:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's... I dunno. I am consistently amazed by these guys. They rock up and *proudly* tell us they didn't make it through high-school??? What the fuck? Some people *break* themselves just for the opportunity, and these fucks walk away from it 'cos "it's all stupid anyway", then come tell us about the love of Jesus.

Fuck me. That one takes the cake. Facepalm

And I can smell them a fucking mile away [Image: connie_smelly.gif]

You know what *really* pisses me off, though (well, the same thing that pisses you, apparently)? I met this guy, from a favela here, who learnt to read - on his freaking own - when he was 12! First book he read was Origin of Species. Guy managed to cover all the material you need to obtain secondary education here and then went to study at university. I've met other people from different favelas who've had to struggle so much in order to get where bozos like this are just because of where they were born. And the bozos are PROUD of their own stupidity? While there are people ten times as smart who are gonna spend their entire lives trying to survive, while the bozos wallow in their ignorance?

When I did my MA in Sweden there was this guy from an African country (not sure which one, he wasn't in my course) who hadn't seen a COMPUTER before he came to Sweden. And yet, there he was.

Or that guy from Malawi, who's working so hard so that his son could go to a decent school and have the opportunities his dad was denied just because of where he was born.

Fuck, this world is not fair. And I know that's the way it is, but to be fucking PROUD of your WILLFUL ignorance? Get out of here! You do not deserve the winning hand the universe dealt you and should be mortified, not proud of yourself.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
24-08-2017, 02:12 PM
(24-08-2017 01:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 01:09 PM)Vera Wrote:  Quelle surprise Drinking Beverage

It's... I dunno. I am consistently amazed by these guys. They rock up and *proudly* tell us they didn't make it through high-school??? What the fuck? Some people *break* themselves just for the opportunity, and these fucks walk away from it 'cos "it's all stupid anyway", then come tell us about the love of Jesus.

Wrong, shipmate, he didn't make it TO high school.

And, of course, he's lying.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
24-08-2017, 03:23 PM
(24-08-2017 02:12 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 01:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's... I dunno. I am consistently amazed by these guys. They rock up and *proudly* tell us they didn't make it through high-school??? What the fuck? Some people *break* themselves just for the opportunity, and these fucks walk away from it 'cos "it's all stupid anyway", then come tell us about the love of Jesus.

Wrong, shipmate, he didn't make it TO high school.

Of course Dodgy I don't know why I expect differently. I must be naive. I keep thinking Christians will actually act consistent with what they talk about. All "Christ-like" and "honourable" and all that shit. Give me an atheist any day. At least we don't dick around pretending to be something we're not.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-08-2017, 03:38 PM
(24-08-2017 03:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 02:12 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Wrong, shipmate, he didn't make it TO high school.

Of course Dodgy I don't know why I expect differently. I must be naive. I keep thinking Christians will actually act consistent with what they talk about. All "Christ-like" and "honourable" and all that shit. Give me an atheist any day. At least we don't dick around pretending to be something we're not.
Like a 121 meter tall kaiju?

Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
24-08-2017, 06:28 PM
(16-08-2017 04:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There are a variety of area of science in which I only posses a high school level understanding of, astronomy, physics, biochemistry, etc..... Theres no real pay off for me to further my knowledge of these areas. They’re not all that particularly interesting to me, and they offer next to no material gain from acquiring any further knowledge about.

Science is not the only field of learning, but it is a good place to start.

The payoff for me is in both sating my curiosity, and feeding it. I'm interested in music, astronomy, and human history, and whether what I learn puts food on the table or not really doesn't matter to me. I do these things because I'm curious.

What are you curious about, Tom? Do you have any curiosities that don't have a payoff? Do you demand knowledge to carry other benefits besides simply growing your own self?
24-08-2017, 06:45 PM
(16-08-2017 07:37 AM)JesseB Wrote:  "Gaining knowledge" is ....

1. Fun as fuck
2. Beneficial to all who come after you

The fast fat dude's got it right. Thumbsup

#sigh
24-08-2017, 06:46 PM
(24-08-2017 01:07 PM)Propwash Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  ..I've learned about different subjects and recently realized that it may just have been a big waste of time..

Good for you, I was expelled from school aged 12 for "not trying", because I refused to fill my head with stupid stuff like Algebra, Geometry, technical drawing, french, geography etc..Smile

It shows.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-08-2017, 06:33 AM
I once learned this girl's phone #.

That call really did improve my life. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
01-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Is gaining knowledge a waste of time since we're all going to die?
(24-08-2017 06:28 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Science is not the only field of learning, but it is a good place to start.

The payoff for me is in both sating my curiosity, and feeding it. I'm interested in music, astronomy, and human history, and whether what I learn puts food on the table or not really doesn't matter to me. I do these things because I'm curious.

What are you curious about, Tom? Do you have any curiosities that don't have a payoff? Do you demand knowledge to carry other benefits besides simply growing your own self?

Well we all have our pet curiosities. For some that might be cosmology, for others it might the world of Football, or both. Areas which they might know more about than those that share their interest. For some people, including many of my friends knowing more about football is more important than knowing more about physics. Knowing about football helped them build rapport with their sports loving coworkers, and supervisors, translating into a smoother path for promotions, etc.. While knowing more about physics would offer very little material benefit for them, given their environment.

As for myself I have number of curiosities I’m very curious about people, what’s the content and source of other minds, curious about their interactions, the life and personal history that shapes their thoughts, beyond their superficial rationalizations of themselves.

I’m curious about moral questions, about what it means to be good, to be kind, to love, what is this thing I find myself aimed towards but falling behind.

I’m obsessively curious about religion, and not just Christianity. About shared themes, and narratives, as to what gave rise to them, what purpose they served in the believers lives. Questions such as what do people mean when they say they believe, what is that they believe, what drives those beliefs. And of course that curiosity extends even more so to my own religion, it’s history and actors, it’s diversity of thought and traditions, the lens that have encompassed almost the entirety of human condition, from the oppressed to the oppressor, from the poor to the rich, etc...

The fact that those who share a similar level of curiosity tend to be religious, makes sustaining my beliefs a lot easier.

I’m curious about health insurance. Curious about evolution, reductionism, the interplay between belief and disbelief, etcc....

All of this I believe does serve my own self-growth. A part of seeing parts of myself I haven’t noticed in other people, and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-09-2017, 11:19 AM
(14-08-2017 04:48 AM)yologuy001 Wrote:  Should our main focus and priority in life be to enjoy it?

That's a laudable goal, but "enjoy" means a hundred different things to a hundred different people. Personally I find that knowledge can be both entertaining and useful, so from that perspective it forms part of what I consider enjoyment of life.

If a piece of knowledge doesn't seem to have any particular immediate benefit, I usually glance at it anyway and mentally file a "TL;DR" marker so that I can find it again if it's needed in the future.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post