Is global warming a hoax?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 04:58 PM by silents429.)
Is global warming a hoax?
http://www.globalwarminghoax.com/news.php <------ is where im getting my information from :/

The thought came out of the blue for me and I got to that site, i looked a bit but i just prefer this communities answers, sooo.... is it?

I don't know if this was in the right spot, since global warming is science i guess.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 05:26 PM
RE: Is global warming a hoax?
Going on a website called "globalwarminghoax.com" to find out whether or not global warming is a hoax is like going on a website called "allahistheonlygod.com" to find out whether or not Islam is the only true religion. You should avoid websites that contain obvious bias such as this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

You shouldn't rely on the article's content alone though, check the sources at the bottom of the page as well.
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
No.
But there is no completely simple answer. It is very complex and the question really is not whether global warming is happening but rather, is global warming caused by humans?

It is true that global temperatures have been increasing in the past several decades. However, there was also a similar temperature increase during the dark ages which was also followed by a mini-ice age. So... again, is what we are experiencing currently, human caused? Another question then might be; can we help to lessen or even reverse this trend?

In truth, we may not know for certain until it's too late... or is it too late already? Sometimes, you never find something out, until you've been through it, or find yourself in the middle of it.

Here are a couple of other sites which ask questions and discuss ideas on climate...
http://www.saveoursnow.com/global.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/i/i...report.htm

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
01-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Of course it's not. This is what is happening :
When God sent the rain on this Earth for 40 days and nights, all this water had to go someplace so the Earth would be dry again.
Remember, God is the Creator and controls the universe.
God tilted the Earth from its original position and caused all the excess water to rush to the poles, and there he instantly froze the water into the ice formations that exist today.
Time is ticking down on God’s time clock. With all the nuclear bombs that are made and stored for the fast-emerging last battle, this Earth would burn up when these nuclear bombs are set off.
We are not creating global warming – God is tipping the Earth back to its original position on its axis and thus getting all this ice to get ready to move and extinguish the nuclear destructive fires man will create.

Very simple. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-09-2012, 05:44 PM
(01-09-2012 05:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Of course it's not.
Very simple. Big Grin

Well yea... there's that. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
(01-09-2012 05:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Of course it's not. This is what is happening :
When God sent the rain on this Earth for 40 days and nights, all this water had to go someplace so the Earth would be dry again.
God tilted the Earth from its original position and caused all the excess water to rush to the poles, and there he instantly froze the water into the ice formations that exist today.
Time is ticking down on God’s time clock. With all the nuclear bombs that are made and stored for the fast-emerging last battle, this Earth would burn up when these nuclear bombs are set off.
We are not creating global warming – God is tipping the Earth back to its original position on its axis and thus getting all this ice to get ready to move and extinguish the nuclear destructive fires man will create.

Very simple. Big Grin

Geez, I feel stupid. This is so fucking obvious. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 08:57 PM by Janus.)
(01-09-2012 05:35 PM)kim Wrote:  It is very complex and the question really is not whether global warming is happening but rather, is global warming caused by humans?

Who the fuck cares what or who caused it? We're waaaay beyond redressing global warming and its consequences. By about 2 centuries and 5 billion people. Not a snowball's chance in hell to reverse the process. So instead of wasting time and resources on a completely irrelevant and totally impotent argument let's pay some real attention to how we're going to deal with those consequences unless you want to get wet feet. This is typically one of those things that shape evolution. Either we adapt or we perish.

Global warming is nothing new. It happened a dozen times before in the earth's history. Sometimes the CO2 content of the atmosphere was 6 times as high as it is now! But in all those eras it took many hundreds of thousands, even millions of years to get to those levels. So flora and fauna had time to adapt, to evolve, in order to deal with the changing circumstances. And thus survived them.
This time around though, it's taken only 200 years, a mere 2 centuries, for the rise of CO2 to their current levels. That is unique in the earth's history. Never happened before so incredibly fast. And it coincides exactly with the rise and development of industry, and the population explosion. So, yes, we humans did it ourselves, to ourselves. And to the rest of nature.

The levels of CO2 aren't the problem, but the speed with which they build up IS!

So to call ourselves homo sapiens sapiens is really rather ignorant and delusional. We're not such a smart species after all. Actually rather dumb. The proof of the pudding is in the eating: we are destroying ourselves and our environment into extinction! How smart is that?
[+] 2 users Like Janus's post
01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
(01-09-2012 08:03 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 05:35 PM)kim Wrote:  It is very complex and the question really is not whether global warming is happening but rather, is global warming caused by humans?

Who the fuck cares what or who caused it? We're waaaay beyond redressing global warming and its consequences. By about 2 centuries and 5 billion people. Not a snowball's chance in hell to reverse the process. So instead of wasting time and resources on a completely irrelevant and totally impotent argument let's pay some real attention to how we're going to deal with those consequences unless you want to get wet feet. This is typically one of those things that shape evolution. Either we adapt or we perish.

Global warming is nothing new. It happened a dozen times before in the earth's history. Sometimes the CO2 content of the atmosphere was 6 times as high as it is now! But in all those eras it took many hundreds of thousands, even millions of years to get to those levels. So flora and fauna had time to adapt, to evolve, in order to deal with the changing circumstances. And thus survived them.
This time around though, it's taken only 200 years, a mere 2 centuries, for the rise of CO2 to their current levels. That is unique in the earth's history. Never happened before so incredibly fast. And it coincides exactly with the rise and development of industry, and the population explosion. So, yes, we humans did it ourselves, to ourselves. And to the rest of nature.

The levels of CO2 aren't the problem, but the speed with which they build up IS!

So to call ourselves homo sapiens sapiens is really rather ignorant and delusional. We're not such a smart species after all. Actually rather dumb. The proof of the pudding is in the eating: we are destroying ourselves and our environment into extinction! How smart is that?

Damn right!
03-09-2012, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 09:09 AM by Hafnof.)
We are now moving the planet into a temperature range it has not encountered since our species evolved. We are doing so at a rate that other species are already finding difficult to adapt to. Will our species survive? Will our civilisation survive? Stay tuned over the next 200 years.

Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KLGqDSA...4AFB057BB8
Continue here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/

If any research was going to poke holes in the current scientific consensus it would have been the results of Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST), which was largely funded by major climate change denialists the Koch brothers. The results are in:
"Call me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause."
http://www.skepticalscience.com/best-res...rming.html

... but most importantly follow the science - not the politics.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post