Is human life sacred?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2012, 08:48 AM
RE: Is human life sacred?
(13-03-2012 08:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 08:20 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is asking whether or not you consider humans to be special among other thing.

The most special thing in the known universe is Gwyneth Paltrow; but in thus saying, the hidden variable is I. Thus, a duality and not unique. Wink

Never did I say that it was the most special thing. I simply said it was a remarkable thing.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2012, 09:07 AM
(13-03-2012 08:20 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 06:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 06:30 AM)Thomas Wrote:  If there is no God how can human life, or any other life, be considered sacred?

Conservation of entropy. The ability to simulate and preserve information in language indicates sentience is the "desire" of a finite universe. Sacred? Not so much. If not Monkey, then Cockroach. We're not "special," we are merely "word made flesh" contemplating "number made solid state." It's all about the numbers, and the universe is gonna count no matter what a bunch of monkeys do.

But that is not what the word means. It is asking whether or not you consider humans to be special among other things. It is both unique, and not that we have the ability to ponder the Universe. We have not come across any creatures who have the same ability, but our studies have pointed to there being others that do. So, in that perspective, a bunch of atoms that are able to ponder about the existence of other atoms is pretty remarkable, no matter how common or uncommon it is.

Any sentient life, in my opinion, should be considered "sacred".

why do you think non sentient life shouldn't be considered sacred?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-03-2012, 09:24 AM
(09-03-2012 06:30 AM)Thomas Wrote:  If there is no God how can human life, or any other life, be considered sacred?

Conservation of entropy. The ability to simulate and preserve information in language indicates sentience is the "desire" of a finite universe. Sacred? Not so much. If not Monkey, then Cockroach. We're not "special," we are merely "word made flesh" contemplating "number made solid state." It's all about the numbers, and the universe is gonna count no matter what a bunch of monkeys do.

But that is not what the word means. It is asking whether or not you consider humans to be special among other things. It is both unique, and not that we have the ability to ponder the Universe. We have not come across any creatures who have the same ability, but our studies have pointed to there being others that do. So, in that perspective, a bunch of atoms that are able to ponder about the existence of other atoms is pretty remarkable, no matter how common or uncommon it is.

I misunderstood then.

I don't consider humans to be any more "special" than other species.

I cannot get used to using "sacred" here.

All life should be respected, and I hate how the animals we eat are being treated.

One of the things that differentiates humans from other species is the ability to feel empathy, the ability to understand how others feel.

But we don't much use this ability, we are extremely egocentric.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-03-2012, 09:29 AM
(13-03-2012 09:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  

I misunderstood then.

All life should be respected, and I hate how the animals we eat are being treated.

One of the things that differentiates humans from other species is the ability to feel empathy, the ability to understand how others feel.

What do you define as "mistreated" when it comes to animals. Because if you are one of those people, I do not want to talk about it.

Dodgy

Poonjab
13-03-2012, 09:31 AM
(13-03-2012 09:29 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

I misunderstood then.

What do you define as "mistreated" when it comes to animals. Because if you are one of those people, I do not want to talk about it.

Dodgy

Mistreatment = causing pain and anguish

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-03-2012, 09:33 AM

I misunderstood then.

All life should be held in deep respect, IE be considered sacred but you can also draw lines upon what animals deserve more. Clearly the treatment has been made generally by people having more respect for more intelligent animals such as Dolphins, Cats, or Dogs.

Besides I am pretty sure those animals have empathy. That isn't something that evolved via a thinking capacity. It isn't on the top of the obvious list of animistic emotions but you can't watch wolves behavior or other close knit pack animals and not come away seeing they share some empathy... It still is mostly egocentric though, and of course that lasts to humans. That's why Thou Shall Not Murder and Love Thy Neighbor just applied to the members of your tribe, not the people over in that stone walled city over the hills.
13-03-2012, 09:41 AM
(13-03-2012 09:33 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

I misunderstood then.

All life should be held in deep respect, IE be considered sacred but you can also draw lines upon what animals deserve more. Clearly the treatment has been made generally by people having more respect for more intelligent animals such as Dolphins, Cats, or Dogs.

Besides I am pretty sure those animals have empathy. That isn't something that evolved via a thinking capacity. It isn't on the top of the obvious list of animistic emotions but you can't watch wolves behavior or other close knit pack animals and not come away seeing they share some empathy... It still is mostly egocentric though, and of course that lasts to humans. That's why Thou Shall Not Murder and Love Thy Neighbor just applied to the members of your tribe, not the people over in that stone walled city over the hills.

It's not empathy. In a wolf pack, there exists respect, an attribute evolved because the wolves need each other for survival. Even the Alpha wolf will respect the lowest ranking one as long as the Alpha status isn't challenged.

Wolf mothers (and many other types of animals) show what can be classified as "love" for their offspring, again, an evolutionary thing.

People are not born with empathy, a baby cannot even differentiate between "I" and "YOU". This is learned behavior. (Some babies never graduate from this point because of some disrupting factor and these become what is labeled as "malignant narcissists").

13-03-2012, 10:05 AM
(13-03-2012 09:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 09:33 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 06:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Conservation of entropy. The ability to simulate and preserve information in language indicates sentience is the "desire" of a finite universe. Sacred? Not so much. If not Monkey, then Cockroach. We're not "special," we are merely "word made flesh" contemplating "number made solid state." It's all about the numbers, and the universe is gonna count no matter what a bunch of monkeys do.

I misunderstood then.

It's not empathy. In a wolf pack, there exists respect, an attribute evolved because the wolves need each other for survival. Even the Alpha wolf will respect the lowest ranking one as long as the Alpha status isn't challenged.

Wolf mothers (and many other types of animals) show what can be classified as "love" for their offspring, again, an evolutionary thing.

People are not born with empathy, a baby cannot even differentiate between "I" and "YOU". This is learned behavior. (Some babies never graduate from this point because of some disrupting factor and these become what is labeled as "malignant narcissists").

I don't know what you think of empathy, but to me, that is all it is as well. It's being able to feel or understand what another animal is feeling or experiencing. It's sole evolutionary purpose is to help coherence within the pack and family unit.

Babies don't initially have empathy because it is something that develops along with a growing awareness of other beings, at least as I would describe it.

I've had a friend who told me it wasn't until his 20s when he meet a girl who taught him what empathy was, because he literally didn't know what it was, even the word... but I know stories he told me from his childhood of sticking up for the little guys which his actions are entirely based on having empathy. People are just selfish and aren't able to refine the concept. I think all humans have it, with the exception of a severe autistic.
13-03-2012, 11:04 AM
My life is "important" to me.. and probly to a few others who know or love me ( and in reverse to them of course ) .. but in the grand scheme of life -- unless I really do something to further society or science -- I regard each individual as a speck on a flower in a small world an elephant is holding..

[Image: horton.jpg]

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
13-03-2012, 11:05 AM
(13-03-2012 09:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 09:29 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 06:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Conservation of entropy. The ability to simulate and preserve information in language indicates sentience is the "desire" of a finite universe. Sacred? Not so much. If not Monkey, then Cockroach. We're not "special," we are merely "word made flesh" contemplating "number made solid state." It's all about the numbers, and the universe is gonna count no matter what a bunch of monkeys do.

I misunderstood then.

Dodgy

Mistreatment = causing pain and anguish

You would hate nature.

Poonjab