Is human life sacred?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2012, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 10:29 PM by houseofcantor.)
RE: Is human life sacred?
Quote:The Loins chase a herd of Zebra

I got some zebra-chasing loins... Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-03-2012, 10:46 PM
(15-03-2012 10:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Quote:The Loins chase a herd of Zebra

I got some zebra-chasing loins... Tongue

Me too, brother. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
16-03-2012, 11:04 AM
(15-03-2012 09:41 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We base this morality on religious teaching exclusively.

With the greatest of respect, poppy cock. I need no reference what so ever religious or otherwise to understand the philosophy of enlightened self interest. Is human life sacred, in the sense of holy or blessed then no. Is human life special, your darn tootin it is, through defending the sanctity of human life I elevate the value of MY life.

No need for god, no need for fluffy goodness - human life is special because I dont wanna be killed out of hand.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
16-03-2012, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 12:59 PM by Thomas.)
(15-03-2012 10:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 09:41 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We are the gods now.

We always were.

This should be the new atheist billboard slogan:

"Humanity...We are the gods".

This is positive atheism!!!
Give people something positive to move to, as opposed to a religion the cling to out of fear.

(16-03-2012 11:04 AM)Humakt Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 09:41 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We base this morality on religious teaching exclusively.

With the greatest of respect, poppy cock. I need no reference what so ever religious or otherwise to understand the philosophy of enlightened self interest. Is human life sacred, in the sense of holy or blessed then no. Is human life special, your darn tootin it is, through defending the sanctity of human life I elevate the value of MY life.

No need for god, no need for fluffy goodness - human life is special because I dont wanna be killed out of hand.

I believe we are in agreement if you take this statement in context.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
16-03-2012, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 01:34 PM by Humakt.)
(16-03-2012 12:56 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 10:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 09:41 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We are the gods now.

We always were.

This should be the new atheist billboard slogan:

"Humanity...We are the gods".

This is positive atheism!!!
Give people something positive to move to, as opposed to a religion the cling to out of fear.

(16-03-2012 11:04 AM)Humakt Wrote:  

I believe we are in agreement if you take this statement in context.

Perhaps we do, I'll admit to skim reading the thread to catch up. In that light I may have misinfereed your meaning. I'll read your post.

Reread, your post including the contextual paragraph I missed on first read through, I stand corrected and apologise to you. My misreading of your literary allusion to a first person tense, combined with my inattension are at fault.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
18-03-2012, 02:37 PM
(16-03-2012 01:16 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Reread, your post including the contextual paragraph I missed on first read through, I stand corrected and apologise to you. My misreading of your literary allusion to a first person tense, combined with my inattension are at fault.

You will find much double-speak tongue-in-cheek sarcasm on this site and many very clever people with interesting perspectives.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
20-03-2012, 03:01 AM
(18-03-2012 02:37 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(16-03-2012 01:16 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Reread, your post including the contextual paragraph I missed on first read through, I stand corrected and apologise to you. My misreading of your literary allusion to a first person tense, combined with my inattension are at fault.

You will find much double-speak tongue-in-cheek sarcasm on this site and many very clever people with interesting perspectives.

Kinda inexcusable for me to have missed that, as its my normal mode of communicating to Tongue

16-04-2013, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 11:35 AM by mitchelljames87.)
If I may bring a thread back to life:

the sanctity of life, as we all know is a strictly religious concept, as sacred literally means 'to be set apart'.

If I were to have a sacred book (If I had to choose... Nicomachean Ethics or George Orwell's 1984) then I would set it apart, on my book shelf, from other books so not to mix them up, or taint my sacred book with others.

The connotation that human life is sacred, therefore, means that there has to be something of a higher power which has set human life apart from other forms of life. We could infer that this higher power is God.

As an atheist one would be reluctant to consider this so.

therefore, human life can not be sacred. however, as Nach_In identified in the first response, that as moral agents we may consider ourselves important, perhaps even special, if we consider the cognitive abilities which we possess to be of unique worth.

Great thread, Thomas.

'The four most over-rated things in the world are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.' - Christopher Hitchins
[+] 1 user Likes mitchelljames87's post
16-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Some may, for various reasons, consider human life "sacred" or otherwise relevant. And not just human life, but "life" in general.

This is mere hubris. Life is common. You are unique, and yet divisible into common elements through knowledge of chemistry and perceived by modern understanding as relatively commonplace.

How do we proceed?
16-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Human life is no more important than any other life.