Is human life sacred?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 03:55 PM
RE: Is human life sacred?
Hey, Erxomai.

Aw hellz no, you didn't just try to get into a definition war with me. No. No. Mutha fuckin, hellz no!

Your definition is limited. I'd post variant definitions that support my thesis, but fuck that. Mutha fuck that. Krick krack, slick Jack, mutha mutha fuck that Cool

Hey, Frank.

Two things.

1 - Then I'm glad you're not God.

2 - I think you need a hug

[Image: hugs-to-you.jpg]
[Image: hugs05-446cc35671126ad37759657dddf7c764.jpg]
[Image: hug+one+sided.jpg]
[Image: 6a00e553644f9d883401538fda4fbc970b-800wi]
[Image: tiger+hug.jpg]
[Image: Happy-Hug-Day-21.jpg]
[Image: Cute-puppies-in-hug-puppies-14748941-1600-1200.jpg]
[Image: hug-day-7.jpg]

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
16-04-2013, 04:02 PM
(16-04-2013 03:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 03:37 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If you're talking emotionally than sure, of course we assign value to things. Rationally, however in the grand scheme of things no, no life is more important.

I just wanted to take a moment to say that just because I don't feel that humans are more important than other life on the planet does not mean that I do not love and care for people deeply. Bastards. Tongue

You can't go back on it now. The whole world can see what a heartless person you are. No

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-04-2013, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 04:20 PM by Luminon.)
I'd say there is sacredness to human life, as long as one worships it inwardly and lives up to it outwardly. One's own mind and body may be a temple of service to something greater, possibly everything greater. I think some American founding fathers said something about it.
I think I have something of this attitude. I think this attitude of sacredness and the objective justification/purpose is what may make our lives and affairs sacred enough as far as anyone is concerned. But all is only sacred as long as it is truly progressive and does not repeat old mistakes.

There are many self-important people who do more harm than good. And there are many wise, or at least contemplative thoughtful and peaceful people, wasting their days in meditation along the dusty Indian roads. And there are great masses visited by death too often and too little by consciousness, which is a great shame . Others risk their life quickly or waste it slowly. I'd say this state of world affairs and culture is a great blasphemy against consciousness and it desacrates human lives.

Ultimately, a human being is a unit of consciousness. Or awareness, or value system and capacity to embody and express ideas, if you want. This potential is real and valuable and to me it is sacred. Specially when expressed. The sacredness of expression of consciousness may only come through if right forms are present to embody it. No form of society can serve for the good of growing consciousness forever. Sacred forms are these that offer the next step in the stairway of consciousness. There is certain sacredness even in the nation state. I couldn't care less for the trappings, but I know they're telltale signs of consciousness of the people and I regard them as glass tubes on the wine carboy. If it's bubbling, it's working, there's some refining process going on inside. Hopefully the consciousness grows in scope and depth of understanding.

Human life is sacred, thanks to the consciousness and potential it contains. I'm afraid that even though certain terrible events in history wasted countless lives, the effect they had on consciousness was not only beneficial, it was necessary. Nothing else could destroy the old forms that held the consciousness back. (WW1+2 comes to my mind) And similarly, in ancient history some people tried to introduce new forms far ahead of their time, but failed because they were unaware that the overall mass consciousness was not ready. (think of the ancient natural philosophers and critical thinkers like Hypatia) There is a certain order in how consciousness develops and the forms it takes on.

I want to work in a state that is a consciousness engine (I like the sound of it, the consciousness engine!), in a government that is the center of consciousness, cooperating with universities that do the heavy lifting and finishing touches of consciousness and public media that show the nation the mirror and thus make us self-conscious. The government as a temple of consciousness must have its merchants and moneychangers driven out once again. It is time that my presidents were once again sociologists and philosophers and not economists.
16-04-2013, 04:16 PM
(16-04-2013 04:02 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 03:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I just wanted to take a moment to say that just because I don't feel that humans are more important than other life on the planet does not mean that I do not love and care for people deeply. Bastards. Tongue

You can't go back on it now. The whole world can see what a heartless person you are. No

I guess I no longer have to hide my dalmatian puppy coat....Weeping

[Image: dalmatian-puppies-pictures.jpg]
16-04-2013, 04:34 PM
As far as we know complex life is rare (diamonds), rarer still (blue diamonds) is sentient life. "Sacred"? No. Precious? Yes. Would you allow a person to fall to their death to save a piglet with both hands? NO!!!! Because the human you doom to a final free fall is AWARE that they are going to die ahead of the full-life/old-age schedule. Does that mean all sentient life should be saved no matter what? NO!!! The finest, most loving dog you've ever lived with is foaming at the mouth with a dead cat butchered at his feet, blood all over his muzzle, and struggling to free himself eyeing the neighbors kids like he's rabidly hungry?....You put him down Sad Sentient life that enjoys causing suffering, & horrified terror in others (or simply violently ending the lives of other self-aware beings).......might have to put that person down too Sad
Humans too "sacred" to allow to die? I'll agree with that until I'm asked what should happen to the guy who raped & then murdered an 8 year old girl!!!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
19-04-2013, 12:33 AM
(16-04-2013 03:25 PM)frankiej Wrote:  all we do is fuck everything up.

That seems a hasty conclusion to me. I think humanity is much more diverse than that, and I don't think we're capable of knowing the overall balance between humanity's fucking everything up and its converse.

(16-04-2013 04:11 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Human life is sacred, thanks to the consciousness and potential it contains.

Thanks to the consciousness and potential it contains, we can all agree human life contains consciousness and potential, but to characterize those traits and subsequently human life as "sacred" is subjective/relative opinion.

(16-04-2013 04:34 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  As far as we know complex life is rare (diamonds), rarer still (blue diamonds) is sentient life. "Sacred"? No. Precious? Yes.

Are you equating rarity with preciousness, or characterizing rarity as precious due to your emotional disposition?

(16-04-2013 04:34 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Would you allow a person to fall to their death to save a piglet with both hands? NO!!!! Because the human you doom to a final free fall is AWARE that they are going to die ahead of the full-life/old-age schedule. Does that mean all sentient life should be saved no matter what? NO!!! The finest, most loving dog you've ever lived with is foaming at the mouth with a dead cat butchered at his feet, blood all over his muzzle, and struggling to free himself eyeing the neighbors kids like he's rabidly hungry?....You put him down Sad Sentient life that enjoys causing suffering, & horrified terror in others (or simply violently ending the lives of other self-aware beings).......might have to put that person down too Sad
Humans too "sacred" to allow to die? I'll agree with that until I'm asked what should happen to the guy who raped & then murdered an 8 year old girl!!!

All these propositions involve decision making that can vary on individual and incidental bases, so none of them support the notion that human life is objectively precious.

Side note: I don't believe there exists any schedule for full life/old age aside from the ideas in peoples' heads.
19-04-2013, 09:59 AM
It is if we choose to make it so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2013, 07:14 PM
We love our own life so it only makes sense to appreciate human life in general so our own existence is secure. What is more rational then to treat others right so you and yours is treated good?
20-04-2013, 07:20 PM
(09-03-2012 06:30 AM)Thomas Wrote:  If there is no God how can human life, or any other life, be considered sacred?

By gaining knowledge it's easy to see the value in helping your fellow human being. That the biosphere's of the earth have organisms not yet known to science that are beneficial to human life, and that the biosphere will store large amounts of carbon.

If you don't like that the other reason is that if you experience suffering than animals with brains will also suffer as we do. Therefore we should treat those living things with respect and if we wish to kill them to do so in the least painful way possible.

I'd say life isn't sacred so much as it is important.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
21-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey, A&W.

Quote:We love our own life so it only makes sense to appreciate human life in general so our own existence is secure. What is more rational then to treat others right so you and yours is treated good?

Sweet sweet nourishing empathy Cool

And good ol gene-centred-view altruism Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt