Is incest immoral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2014, 07:16 PM
RE: Is incest immoral?
(28-11-2014 07:11 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 06:51 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/anim...lem-incest
In short, sexual reproduction evolved to give more diversity to the gene pool. The less diversity, the more problems can occur.

That doesn't really answer the question. I mean, it's not like all siblings are going to reproduce. A brother and sister may have a child, but their child is not likely to have a child with its sibling as well. They will go on to reproduce with non family members. I just don't see it as something dangerous enough that it should be outlawed.

I if that is the case I don't see the problem either. I thought you were asking what is the risk of them having offspring, other than that I really don't care, if they can do it safe they can do it period.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Re: RE: Is incest immoral?
[Image: 314c8ba21a4575030e3460b3ea0db5d1.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like KUSA's post
28-11-2014, 08:00 PM
There's relatively little increase in hereditary disease risk when siblings procreate. It's when it happens over and over again, over multiple generations that the risk factors really start to increase. Siblings often procreate in nature, especially when populations become isolated Athough most species tend to favor parent to offspring breeding when in an isolated population, which is also better for genetic diversity, not to mention even extra ick factor. The incest risk is always way over blown, but we are well equipped to tolerate considerable inbreeding. Just ask HumbleTheistPie Wink

I'll have a look for the other thread, since I believe someone explained it better there.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
28-11-2014, 09:07 PM
I would say it is in the sense that it can be classified as a moral thing. It kinda depends really. I think the strongest Ick factor comes from parents and offspring mating, then probably siblings. Once you get to the second cousin bracket and below and as the blood relationships start to weaken enough to where retarded babies can't be born than it "might" be OK?

I wouldn't do that but you know, whateves!

Evolution has made it so that we do not wish to do these things with each other because our species is not in any real danger of being eliminated by extinction by death. If we only had like 10k humans on the planet, it might be a different story though. Since that is not the case, its not the case.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
28-11-2014, 09:23 PM
(28-11-2014 07:29 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'd like to know a bunch of opinions on this topic, as I recently watched a debate with Lawrence Krauss where at one point he defends the position that it is not immoral.

It's skeezy. Dodgy

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-11-2014, 10:03 PM
(28-11-2014 06:47 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't think it's immoral. I don't care if they have kids either. I mean...is there any evidence that siblings having babies is any more dangerous that people with genes for hereditary diseases having babies?

The Hapsburg Jaw and their family tree might give you pause. This is the Spanish royal family tree with several loops in the tree.

[Image: i-b86ca8c0a0a89bc5b2046aa047a2eef9-777px...undo80.png]

An article about the inner breeding that went on and some scientific info.

http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2009/04/14/...ll-of-the/

And the results of that inner breeding.

[Image: 399093.jpg]

[Image: jaw.jpg]

The Egyptians did the same thing. And here's what they ended up with.....

[Image: king-tut-recreation.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-11-2014, 10:20 PM
(28-11-2014 10:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 06:47 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't think it's immoral. I don't care if they have kids either. I mean...is there any evidence that siblings having babies is any more dangerous that people with genes for hereditary diseases having babies?

The Hapsburg Jaw and their family tree might give you pause. This is the Spanish royal family tree with several loops in the tree.

[Image: i-b86ca8c0a0a89bc5b2046aa047a2eef9-777px...undo80.png]

An article about the inner breeding that went on and some scientific info.

http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2009/04/14/...ll-of-the/

And the results of that inner breeding.

[Image: 399093.jpg]

[Image: jaw.jpg]

The Egyptians did the same thing. And here's what they ended up with.....

[Image: king-tut-recreation.jpg]

In all fairness, those examples are after generations of strongly suggested incest, right?

I think most people's points in here are.. The occasional instance if incest isn't likely to cause major issues, and if legalized, wouldn't make everyone suddenly want to have sex with members of their families.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 4 users Like Smercury44's post
29-11-2014, 06:53 AM
(28-11-2014 01:35 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 07:29 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'd like to know a bunch of opinions on this topic, as I recently watched a debate with Lawrence Krauss where at one point he defends the position that it is not immoral.
Who are we to judge others?
What makes "you" think that consenting adults need "your" approval before having sex with their chosen partner?

We certainly don't need government issue sex licenses.

It is beside the point whether these people have children or not. Evolution will naturally decide what is the successful strategy.

What makes "you" think that I think that consenting adults need "my" approval?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
29-11-2014, 08:22 AM
I had a long "talk" with my sister on this subject last night, we concluded it is not immoral. Gasp
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
29-11-2014, 08:47 AM
(28-11-2014 03:33 PM)kim Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 12:33 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Ten foot poles are awesome when women dance around them.

Well, that goes without saying. Dodgy

(28-11-2014 01:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  FDR and Eleanor R. were 5th cousins once removed. That's pretty distant.

True.
However, taking that under consideration & associating the thought with anyone in my own family, even distantly... Sadcryface ew.

Diseases like Huntington's and Sickle-cell developed within insular cultures which made allowances for incest.

I don't know about the cultures in the regions associated so I don't know about it spreading due to incest tolerance, but I thought Sickle-cell had become as wide-spread as it is because it confers a considerable selective advantage in regions where it is most prevalent by granting considerable malaria resistance.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post