Is incest immoral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2014, 08:49 AM
RE: Is incest immoral?
(28-11-2014 09:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 07:29 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'd like to know a bunch of opinions on this topic, as I recently watched a debate with Lawrence Krauss where at one point he defends the position that it is not immoral.

It's skeezy. Dodgy

You just have to watch Game of Thrones to know that. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2014, 09:52 AM
(29-11-2014 08:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't know about the cultures in the regions associated so I don't know about it spreading due to incest tolerance, but I thought Sickle-cell had become as wide-spread as it is because it confers a considerable selective advantage in regions where it is most prevalent by granting considerable malaria resistance.

I know, poor example - I was distracted/repulsed by thoughts of my own familial possibilities. Blink

But hey... anyone ever hear about those blue people in Kentucky or Tennessee? There is an interesting genetic boo-boo made somewhat cartoonish.

I'm on my phone and can't link at the moment but just google blue skinned people - it has to turn up something. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-11-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2014 10:16 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
Oh goodie it's this topic again! This is like the third time I'm going to have the opportunity to talk about GSA (Genetic Sameness Attraction). It's well documented that although we tend to seek partners with different immune systems than our own, we are highly attracted to individuals whom possess similar physical traits to that of our kin.

So we have the inherent ability to recognize those who are genetically familial in terms of appearance. We do NOT have an instinctual ability to identify who our kin actually are. Biology does not determine who we view as family, neurology does. We imprint upon those closest to us in our earliest developmental years, and it is through this that we form a strong identity of who our family is, irregardless of whether they are related to us by blood. It makes sense since back when we were hunter-gathers, the two were more often than not one and the same, but in the modern day, things are not always so simple.

So there's this phenomenon that's well known by adoption agencies when reconnecting lost family members where, say, a brother and sister were separated by birth and are meeting each other for the first time as adults. Now society dictates them as siblings, but their bodies and minds sure as fuck haven't made that distinction and due to the GSA principle mentioned before, they're actually more likely to find each other attractive than a random individual. Same thing can occur with family members whom, while not completely separated, are not as closely related and/or aren't in contact as often. I remember that I met three female second cousins for the first time when I was 17 and I thought they were all damn fine lookers.

A lot of people seem to be unnecessarily broad with whom they consider close "family," although some of these instances may have simply been due to the fact that they spent more time as a child with their extended and distant family than most. Regardless I've met people who considered bedding 3rd and 4th cousins as taboo as bedding your immiediate family, which is a horribly ignorant view of familial genetics. 3rd and 4th cousins, in terms of genetics, are distant for all intents and purposes. Lots of people end up dating and marrying 3rd and 4th cousins for YEARS before discovering they are actually distantly related. I could understand if the disgust came from having spent more time growing up around distant relatives---sex with ANYBODY imprinted on as family will tend to evoke that internal reaction (hence why kids adopted as infants tend to not go around boning members of their foster family either)--- but otherwise it seems to be driven by a taboo so pervasive that it's applied even when the "family members" aren't actually that closely related to begin with.

So yes, it's entirely taboo that's driving its criminalization, which is stupid. Consenting adults should do what they want so long as it isn't harming anybody. Outlawing it for no better reason than "Ew!" is no better a justification than the arguments used to originally outlaw gay sex (which is ironic consider the anti-gay crowd tends to be the most rife with incest).

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
29-11-2014, 10:12 AM
All incidences involving offspring of brother/sister since 1945.
Amount of evil released is staggering

29-11-2014, 10:13 AM
http://www.archives.com/genealogy/family...eople.html

This is a good article about the blue people & it goes into a very good explanation of the genetics if incestuous relations. Very interesting. And uh... ew.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-11-2014, 10:16 AM
(29-11-2014 09:52 AM)kim Wrote:  I know, poor example - I was distracted/repulsed by thoughts of my own familial possibilities. Blink

Yeah, I get it. Blergh!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-11-2014, 10:25 AM
(29-11-2014 10:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 09:52 AM)kim Wrote:  I know, poor example - I was distracted/repulsed by thoughts of my own familial possibilities. Blink

Yeah, I get it. Blergh!

Wanna know how I manage to talk about this topic without disgust?

By not thinking about my own family members. Wink

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
29-11-2014, 10:27 AM
My maternal first cousin married her paternal fourth cousin. They went through high school together without knowing of the relation. They dated in college, he put a ring on her finger after her first year of med school, and then she went to his family's Thanksgiving. The great great aunt said "Wait a second, I know you....."

He's brilliant despite both parents being mentally retarded (which is why he had never had her over to meet the familySad ). My cousin had a hard time with it initially because she was worried about what people would think and about her prospects for children. We welcomed into the family with hugs and smiles, and I cracked a "cousband" joke in my very drunk rehearsal dinner matron of honor speech.

We never really considered it incest because it's so distant. We've just had a lot of fun teasing her.

She has no plans to have any babies with him unless they are from a test tube due to the very high probability of genetic disorders, moreso because of his parents, not the relation.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
29-11-2014, 10:30 AM
(29-11-2014 10:25 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 10:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah, I get it. Blergh!

Wanna know how I manage to talk about this topic without disgust?

By not thinking about my own family members. Wink

That would be the only way - Rainbow Vomit

29-11-2014, 11:08 AM
(28-11-2014 12:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Most cases of criminal incest are actually sexual assault, in that there are issues of consent and exploitation. To get that out of the way.

Consenting adults can do whatever the fuck they want, no?

"B..b..but - risk factors!" is a terrible, terrible argument. There are self-evidently many other risk factors society lays absolutely no restriction upon (age, radiation exposure, known hereditary conditions, etc), and this smacks of purely post-hoc rationalisation.
(I mean, it seems gross to me, too, but there are plenty of legal consensual sex acts I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...)

There Are many things I wouldn't bother touching with a 10 ft pole as well. But an 8 in pole... Different story.