Is incest immoral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2014, 11:11 AM
RE: Is incest immoral?
To be clear - incest is not for me considering the available options - thank you, but no.

What other people do or who other people love is up to them. As long as they are consenting and of the age to consent - I say go with it, live long and prosper, happy trails, and all that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Whatever gets your mojo goin..
29-11-2014, 12:19 PM
(29-11-2014 10:27 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My maternal first cousin married her paternal fourth cousin. They went through high school together without knowing of the relation. They dated in college, he put a ring on her finger after her first year of med school, and then she went to his family's Thanksgiving. The great great aunt said "Wait a second, I know you....."

He's brilliant despite both parents being mentally retarded (which is why he had never had her over to meet the familySad ). My cousin had a hard time with it initially because she was worried about what people would think and about her prospects for children. We welcomed into the family with hugs and smiles, and I cracked a "cousband" joke in my very drunk rehearsal dinner matron of honor speech.

We never really considered it incest because it's so distant. We've just had a lot of fun teasing her.

She has no plans to have any babies with him unless they are from a test tube due to the very high probability of genetic disorders, moreso because of his parents, not the relation.

Well, Eleanor Roosevelt was Franklin's fifth cousin once removed and they had a slew of kids.

I kinda think family genetics should be similar to a Stock Portfolio. There should be lots of diversity and investments scattered here and there.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I think a topic of this nature doesn't go very far without beyond whatever someone thinks, it's a matter of where they draw lines in the sand on morality; what they constitute as morality.

Incest is one thing, Incest+Procreation is another.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-11-2014, 06:40 PM
(29-11-2014 06:20 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think a topic of this nature doesn't go very far without beyond whatever someone thinks, it's a matter of where they draw lines in the sand on morality; what they constitute as morality.

I specifically mentioned contraception in the OP.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
29-11-2014, 06:50 PM
(29-11-2014 06:40 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 06:20 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think a topic of this nature doesn't go very far without beyond whatever someone thinks, it's a matter of where they draw lines in the sand on morality; what they constitute as morality.

I specifically mentioned contraception in the OP.

I know, it's why I would agree with Krauss.

It's simply a matter of how a person defines their morality. Which can range far and wide across many boundaries. Morality can get defined by various factors: Fairness, Purity, Tradition, care, liberty, etc. However a person defines the biggest factor in this can sway them.

Many might just judge incest via a caring manner and see it as bad if it causes Harm. If there is no harm they may say it's fine. Others might say it's still a bit a sanctity issue or in cases in various too tight nit cultures like Cults/Amish/Mormon it barges on oppression and it's hard in those cases to tell when it's not.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-11-2014, 05:06 AM
(29-11-2014 06:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 06:40 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I specifically mentioned contraception in the OP.

I know, it's why I would agree with Krauss.

It's simply a matter of how a person defines their morality. Which can range far and wide across many boundaries. Morality can get defined by various factors: Fairness, Purity, Tradition, care, liberty, etc. However a person defines the biggest factor in this can sway them.

Many might just judge incest via a caring manner and see it as bad if it causes Harm. If there is no harm they may say it's fine. Others might say it's still a bit a sanctity issue or in cases in various too tight nit cultures like Cults/Amish/Mormon it barges on oppression and it's hard in those cases to tell when it's not.

Ah I see what you mean. In this case I was just aiming the question at fellow atheists Smile I can't imagine a reasonable thinking atheist claiming incest to be immoral.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
30-11-2014, 08:52 AM
My sister and I have a second base incestuous relationship. It's bonding. Tongue

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 3 users Like Colourcraze's post
30-11-2014, 09:56 AM
It's what you would call a taboo as homosexuality used to be and in some cases still is. I don't see it becoming untabooed anytime soon though.
30-11-2014, 11:20 AM

How does one separate incest from molestation? Brothers have diddled with their little sisters over the years. Yes, this is molesting but is it also incest/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.